Range Rovers Forum banner

Keys don't lock/unlock

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  linuxfreakus 
#1 ·
The key fob lock/unlock buttons work but keys don't work. They do work in ignition. This can become a huge issue if car battery dies and I have to open the car door with the key. I just went through the nightmare of having left my keys inside the car and the replacement key from LR dealer not working on the door.

Please let me know what needs to be fixed. Any help would be welcome.

#3 ·
My key is also not locking or unlocking but my Range Rover starts right up. I can see the red led light up when I hit the buttons.

I tried doing the key sync where you turn the ignition on and off and then hold the unlock button until the red led starts flashing then I hit the lock button 3 times quickly put the key back into the ignition and turn on and off and nothing. Did I forget right right left left up down up down? LOL

If anyone knows how to do the sync properly please share!

#4 ·
You should try that procedure again because it does work to program the key buttons. You may have to try it a couple of times.

My issue is with key itself. When I insert it into the door lock and turn, nothing happens.

#7 ·
If you tried the key slot on the door handle but it is not working then it is probably broken. There is a little bit on the end of the lock assembly that actually fits into the door mechanism to turn and open the lock but sadly it is plastic and is easily snapped. Many of them will be broken without the owner ever realizing it until they need to use it one day.

Note that you may be able to repair it with a kit... not sure if the 06-09 or later are the same as 03-05 though: http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/6-...6242-2004-door-lock-cylinder-replacement.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.