RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 P38 4.6 that was in pristine condition, my son rolled it two weeks ago on his way to take the ACT (his phone fell into the floor and he tried to retrieve it:?) Hes OK but his back side is not. Anyway I found a 99 bosch 4.6 and it needs a tranny so Im thinking about buying it for around 1200, Im going to snatch my engine and tranny out of mine and transplant it into the 99, no problem. The problem with the 99 is it has no remote but mine does. My question is what components, ecu's, ignition switch, driver door handle/lock etc do I need to rob from my donor car to make it work?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,851 Posts
Hi

The key fobs are coded to the BECM. If you switch the becm from your old car with the new one, the fobs will work on the new car. As the engine ecu is synchronized with the becm you should change that as well, but there is a problem here your crashed car has the secondary air injection and the replacement probably does not have it, this means that the engine ecu can not be used and the original engine ecu has to be synchronised with your replacement becm.
The locks can be exchanged and you are ready to go.
Alternatively you can exchange the blades of the fobs but you do not have them from the old car so you have to change the locks. Door, ignition and glovebox locks.
It is also possible to buy new fobs from the dealer with the VIN of the new car.

You can also send both becms to be unlocked and the key codes of the crashed car can then be programmed in the replacement cars becm.

Good luck

Jos

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can I just leave the SAI off of the donor car engine, and swap the becm and engine ecu or is the harness different in the two cars? I don't have a way to sinc the original ecu to the donor ecu.
Hi

The key fobs are coded to the BECM. If you switch the becm from your old car with the new one, the fobs will work on the new car. As the engine ecu is synchronized with the becm you should change that as well, but there is a problem here your crashed car has the secondary air injection and the replacement probably does not have it, this means that the engine ecu can not be used and the original engine ecu has to be synchronised with your replacement becm.
The locks can be exchanged and you are ready to go.
Alternatively you can exchange the blades of the fobs but you do not have them from the old car so you have to change the locks. Door, ignition and glovebox locks.
It is also possible to buy new fobs from the dealer with the VIN of the new car.

You can also send both becms to be unlocked and the key codes of the crashed car can then be programmed in the replacement cars becm.

Good luck

Jos

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello Jos, You answered a question for me about my wrecked 2001 RR 4.6 SE. I had found a 1999 4.6 but I passed on that rig and I purchased an Identical 2001 RR 4.6. The previous owner had the heads replaced and now the truck wont start. I bought it with the hopes of swaping out my electronics to get this thing fired up. So my question is, what will I need in order to get the new truck running? currently it does not have any spark or fuel. and the door locks do not unlock when you turn the key, but they will all lock and unlock intermittently, I had code 1668, there is an extra becm laying in the back of the truck so I think he tried to swap becm's. Anyway what do I need to do to get her running, my old wrecked truck will fire right up and I can drive it without a hiccup except for the sRS light being from the seat air bags, its a shame too because the interior is identical and the seats in the new truck are garbage. Anyway Im thinking of disconnecting the battery from the good truck and swapping out the becm, engine ecu and engine fuse box. It should be plug and play right? any other suggestions or things I should NOT do?

·
Registered
81 Posts
You don't need to swap out the engine compartment fuse box, just the BeCM and the Engine ECU. Also make sure you swap the instrument cluster too. The mileage stored in the BeCM and instrument cluster need to match, if not you'll either get an odometer error or it will default to whichever has the higher number.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think Ill go ahead and swap the box they tend to take a **** from time to time and this one has about 75% of the yellow relays that are turning brown from heat. How hard is it ignition switch barrel? the reason I ask is I have a good working key, becm, and ecu. Would it be easier to swap the key blades in the remotes and the microswitches in the doors or swap the ignition switch barrel, and both front door locks and handles?
You don't need to swap out the engine compartment fuse box, just the BeCM and the Engine ECU. Also make sure you swap the instrument cluster too. The mileage stored in the BeCM and instrument cluster need to match, if not you'll either get an odometer error or it will default to whichever has the higher number.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also good call on the speedo, I hate it to because the original truck has 96K and the donor car has 134K oh well Im not looking to sell it anyway.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im thinking of purchasing a black box solutions nano for this rig. Since im swapping the becm, engine ecu, and speedo, from a donor car, which vin do I use when purchasing the license to activate the nano? I assume I use the vin from the donor car.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,219 Posts
You would use the vin from the vehicle the working BECM/cluster/engine ECU are from (donor vehicle) as that is what the diagnostics gear will lock itself to when its connected up

Sent from my S4

·
Registered
81 Posts
If you're buying a Nanocom then there is no VIN needed, you either buy the Bosch or Gems code. It works with multiple vehicles unlike the Faultmate which is locked to one VIN. I bought a Nanocom a few months ago and have been very pleased with it, although I haven't figured out how to use all the features yet.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,219 Posts
Sorry, I took black box nano as being a faultmate nano which will VIN lock..

Rolled over is correct that a Nanocom is locked to engine management system, not VIN. Though additional Engine Management ECU licences can be added to make it so you can talk to all P38s..

Sent from my S4

1 - 11 of 11 Posts