RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm shopping for a 2001-2002 P38. My wife has a Nissan with a keyless ignition and I kind of like it. I know that the alarm is not going to change on the RR when I get it, but I'm wondering what censors are in the ignition cylinder that may prevent the conversion to a keyless ignition. AKA: Start Button/Push button start/etc.

I see kits, and I do live down the street from the brilliant guys at rover doctor in Irvine, Ca. Maybe they will figure something out, but I am making my build plan/project list now before I buy my truck. In case you haven't noticed, I have a problem with lists.

So my plan for this project was to find a way to bypass any security on the ignition cylinder without breaking things of course. Then get the right spacer and get a higher end keyless ignition. I'd still have to use the LR default fob for keyless entry, but then I would just leave my keys in my pocket and drive off.

Ideas? Questions? Comments about how I'm an idiot? Please share.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
it can be done, won't be cheap thou. find a competent well experienced and knowledgeable radio install shop for a nice clean well done install.
otherwise you're asking for trouble and frustration or a multiple set of key fobs in your pocket....

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured as much. Some of the newer setups work off the bluetooth or NFC on your phone. Probably not what I would do, but they have some different options then having another bulky fob.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
to each their own, I refrain from judging on what we do with our cars. for instance I just finished a 4 yr project on my 95 classic lwb, rust abatement, new paint, some new panels, air ride (custom at this time) and so forth.
initial estimate nearly 14k parts and labor, final bill nearly 24k. (I did all the work)
a customer of the same shop has 150k on a custom 67 impala, another a 1949 buick coupe has over 80k dollars in paint and chrome.
all depends when you want to stop (or the mrs. forbids) the expense.
let us know how it goes, it is a future plan for my classic. rf keyless entry and start (like many new cars, where you keep the fob in your pocket all the time), plus the ability of remote start...
to me my truck is just a toy and never ending project, the other cars are the daily drivers.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ended up getting an L322 and I will look into that as an option. It seems as though people just don't spend the time to document what they have done so we all miss out on how to replicate it.

And the Mrs often forbids me from hiring people to work on my cars. She wants me to do it myself so I can fix it myself.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Hmmm, A MkIII with keyless entry vs the key.
Prepare for sleepless nights, weeks, months.......
I'd say it's a non starter (pun intended)

Martin

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Hmmm, A MkIII with keyless entry vs the key.
Prepare for sleepless nights, weeks, months.......
I'd say it's a non starter (pun intended)

Martin
LOL.... how right you are Martin. first phase is reliable rf activation and deactivation of immobilizer upon proximity, second phase door lock, third actual start... then what happens when you walk away from vehicle ....interesting hmmmm

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Someone "maybe" should have got another Nissan.
Unless you're now going to make your Nissan four wheel drive with a low range transfer case, install air ride suspension, fit an all aluminum 32 valve V8, and so on, to make it like the MkIII Range Rover you just got?
See the point here?
If that one silly (IMHO) feature of your famed Nissan is rocking your world more than the capabilities of a FFRR, then you should just get another Nissan.

Martin

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
on a related note, I went roverless for about 5 yrs while refreshing my 95lwb and before acquiring my p38. all this time I drove my old 97 honda civic, I once told my rover buddies I would convert my civic to all wheel drive just to fit in as I had been roverless for too long.
some laughed others actually researched the plausibility. amusing...since then I have sold the civic put the lwb back on the road, acquired the p38 and a Cr-v, they named it the reliable rover, or the japanese rover... nutsy bunch...lol.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
I heard the same stuff about doing the LSx conversion in my P38, but at least that runs its own ECM etc......

Martin

1 - 12 of 12 Posts