RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After nearly two years of more-or-less happy Ranging, I turned the key and Keycode Lockout showed on the dash. This happened once before when I changed batteries and I managed to insert the code with my Nanocom. But this time when I tried no change took place in the Rangey. I probably shouldn't have persisted, but I was 120 miles from home. I ended up with Keycode Lockout permanently on the dash. Got RAC to bring me home.

Today Keycode Lockout still illuminated. I have tried the key in the door with the code, undoing the battery and puting key to position 2 and reconnecting, spraying WD40 into driver's door lock, all to no avail. The fob buttons will not work the doors although they are definitely transmitting (RAC checked).

The Nanocom shows all the wrong info for the car, saying it is left-hand drive, French, etc. So I am now stumped. I wonder now whether it is either the driver's door lock at fault, or the BECM.

I know this has appeared on here many times, but I am hoping for a breakthrough for these particular symptoms. BTW the battery is only three months old and the RAC checked it out as okay.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Have you waited 30 minutes without trying to do anything to see if keycode lockout disappears? You can't enter anything while its on the display.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,761 Posts
When the BeCM looses it's settings and decides to vacation in Paris there is no amount of waiting that can restore the correct settings. Unfortunately it will need to be manually reset or the logic board replaced if it has really gone round the bend.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Not saying it hasn't, but mine went a bit mad when I left it for a holiday (how very dare I), battery died - but before doing so burnt out both front door lock motors, lost sync with engine ECU etc. Keycode lockout on reconnecting a charged battery as you'd expect, and everything made no sense on the nanocom. Took its own holiday in Paris, as you say.

I was able to enter the EKA through it though once the lockout message disappeared, and then resync the engine ECU and sort the other bits and pieces out. Though thinking about it... my BECM is unlocked, I have no idea if that would make a difference.

Just saying - if OP hasn't tried leaving the battery connected for more than 30 minutes without playing with it since this started, it may just be in that 'leave me alone for a bit' mood. Worth a try before pulling it out.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for replies. I have kept the battery connected all the time.

Went out this morning and found the dash had gone blank - good sign. Turned key, 'Engine disabled press fob or enter keycode'. Pressed fob but this stopped working a while ago. Entered keycode with Nanocom, no result. Did it twice at the door and got 'keycode lockout' on the dash.

So I wonder if the problem is in the door latch and/or fobs.

But most of all I can't understand why the Nanocom entered code does not work. I did this before when needed without a problem - so why not now?:sad:

·
Registered
523 Posts
Definitely check the latch switches.

Also when entering keycode, always open & close the door after 2nd attempt. This resets the counter so you don't reach the "3 tries causes lockout" state.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Also when entering keycode, always open & close the door after 2nd attempt. This resets the counter so you don't reach the "3 tries causes lockout" state.
This tip deserves a sticky!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
If, as you say, it has gone walkabout with all the correct data scrambled or altered, then it is very possible it has also either altered the EKA code, Disabled EKA as a setting, or, as happened to me, it has set it to all zeros! (Try entering that at the door!)
See if you can read the Becm data and get the code there first, although, I think the Becm needs to be unlocked to do this.........It does sound as though the Becm will have to have a Vacation away from the Chassis to get this sorted....Good luck!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Thanks for replies. I have kept the battery connected all the time.

Went out this morning and found the dash had gone blank - good sign. Turned key, 'Engine disabled press fob or enter keycode'. Pressed fob but this stopped working a while ago. Entered keycode with Nanocom, no result. Did it twice at the door and got 'keycode lockout' on the dash.

So I wonder if the problem is in the door latch and/or fobs.

But most of all I can't understand why the Nanocom entered code does not work. I did this before when needed without a problem - so why not now?:sad:
Womble, probably best to contact MartyNZ on here or MartyUK on Landyzone.co.uk who has the gear to reset the BECM back to correct UK settings.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,159 Posts
Cheers Pete,

The BECM settings will still all be there - they don't actually corrupt - apart from sometimes the EKA code - which could also be why it won't accept the EKA via any method.

It does indeed sound like it's locked itself out - which is fairly easy to reset with the proper equipment. If you want me to take a look at it then drop me a PM - if it's a simple lockout reset then I can do that via post/courier.... I'm also back from work now so able to get it turned around, generally within 24-48 hours

Marty

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Marty - have sent pm. Do you think the first problem is the door latch, which led to the Rangey's brain getting scrambled?

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,159 Posts
It is possible that it's due to a faulty switch - or it could be bad RF where you were which has caused it to think it's being stolen or something silly like that.

Out of interest, have you tried waiting for the KEYCODE LOCKOUT to disappear and entering the EKA again now it's back home?

If you want to test the door latch, then either have a look on my website (there's a bit of information there about BECM unlocking etc too), and in the 'Technical Information' section there is the download for my door latch tests. The door latch tests are also on this forum in a sticky post.

It would be worth checking those before pulling the BECM to send off, as if it is faulty and you would like a refurbished one then I can work on that to have one ready to send back with the BECM. All my pricing is also on the website, but if you needed a latch and send the faulty one I waive the core charge.

If it is easier you can also remove the door latch and send it with the BECM and I am happy to test it FOC here to make sure it is functioning as it should.

I'll check my PM's and message you back soon!
Cheers,
Marty

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Marty,

thanks!

Right, I have taken the door latch out - not without cursing the stupidity of having all those physical connections tucked away behind the inner metal skin. Our Ohm meter shows no reading on the CDL test. Otherwise all seems well. I am not sure why this should upset the BECM, but I think probably the best thing is to send you both latch and BECM and let your experienced eye look them over.

All best
A

P.S. Yes, I left it overnight and the 'Keycode lockout' remained on the dash. On the second morning, i.e. after 36hours, it had disappeared. Only to reappear as soon as I tried entering the code. Clearly the BECM moves in slow as well as mysterious ways...

·
Registered
523 Posts
You cant enter the EKA code if CDL switch is bad. EKA needs both CDL and Lock-Unlock microswitch to be working in order to determine which way you are turning the key.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks - that explains why I am in this position!

I am about to send off the BECM. Is it possible to reprogramme it so it never again shows 'Keycode Lockout'?

Also Marty I have sent you a pm.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,159 Posts
I don't think it's possible to completely remove the possibility of getting a KEYCODE LOCKOUT - I had one on mine when I came back after leaving it for nearly 2 months and the battery had gone flat. If the vehicle is locked when the battery goes flat (as mine was) then when power was reconnected, mine when straight to KEYCODE LOCKOUT.

You can disable the alarm/passive immobiliser, and the EKA, but I don't know if that will prevent a KEYCODE LOCKOUT message - I haven't had time to fiddle around with one of my spare BECMs as a test to see what switching off the various options all actually do in a 'real world' situation.

Marty

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just to update the forum on this subject, I sent my BECM and driver's door latch to Martin, who duly sorted them. Upon refitting, the dear old girl sprung into life.

To avoid ever again having Keycode Lockout (with M's suggestions) I have disconnected the RF aerial. I rarely lock the car and anyway at the moment the Fob buttons do nothing (though the fob itself is transmitting), so will just use the key if need be. Mind you that was all I did before the BECM froze...

I notice that in the owner's book it says that it is 'virtually impossible' to prevent passive immobilisation. I wonder whether this means there is actually a way.

If anyone knows it, please tell me! And what about the clever chaps who designed the system - why don't they come forward and explain it fully so we amateurs can get our heads round it.

Anyway, many thanks to the forum, and Marty!

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
Like Marty already said, you can deselect passive immobilization and alarm so it doesn't come on automatically.
This however, does absolutely nothing for the keycode lockout. My Becm has been unlocked for years, as well as passive alarm features turned off for longer via my Faultmate. It went into a hissy fit anyways years ago, after reconnecting and disconnecting the battery too many times, during the LSx motor swap.
Went to French, no data was correct, etc.

Martin

1 - 20 of 23 Posts