RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today while driving to get some food in the rain i got there and shut the truck down, then come out and put the key in and it wont turn and they steering wheel is not locked into place, i turned the wheel to try and get it to lock and it wont -- the central lock button wont lock either, and the xenons wont turn on, but the side and rear lights work, Please help me figure this out as im stranded, had to call for a ride. I checked the fuses and they seem ok. :pray:

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Key Wont Turn / Steering Wheel Wont Lock / PLEASE HELP ASAP

anybody? ive gotta get this fixed tomorrow.

thanks.

·
Registered
77 Posts

sorry its a bit late but have you left it in neutral and not park? the key wont turn in neutral thus not start. trust me i know from past experiance :doh:

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

i gore said:
sorry its a bit late but have you left it in neutral and not park? the key wont turn in neutral thus not start. trust me i know from past experiance :doh:

its in park, its strange because i can turn the steering wheel and it wont lock in place, the central unlock button wont work either. is there anyway i can get it in netural or out of park?? the key will turn like 1/4 inch then it wont turn anymore.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

FFRR05DUKE said:
This could be a battery issue...check the voltage on your battery to see if it's holding a charge...it may need to be replaced.

I just had it replaced a couple months ago, I will check it though, the key fob unlocks the doors fine. I talked to the dealer and he said it could be a fuse or something in the steering column. I'm going to try unhooking the battery and then hook it back up and see if that would fix it.

·
Registered
117 Posts

You might try moving the locked steering wheel back and forth as you try to turn the key. Never happened to any LR I had but I had a Porsche that did that all the time. You might try that.

·
Registered
123 Posts

Sounds like a battery issue. I was doing some work on my Rover and it killed the battery and I had the same symptoms. Did you try to jump it?

·
Registered
3 Posts

I have got the same problem today on my 2002 Rangi.
Tried to jumpstart, but no sucsess. All fuses is okey.
Picked up by a towtruck to the dealer/workshop.

Please post solution to this probleme. Same will I

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts

christianmoe said:
I have got the same problem today on my 2002 Rangi.
Tried to jumpstart, but no sucsess. All fuses is okey.
Picked up by a towtruck to the dealer/workshop.

Please post solution to this probleme. Same will I
Had a customer today with the same problem, replaced battery and all ok

·
Registered
3 Posts

viperover said:
Had a customer today with the same problem, replaced battery and all ok
Replaces car battery or key battery?
My meckanic has no solution yet for my car. /:(

·
Registered
15 Posts
Picked mine up toady with the new steering column installed and all is back to normal....i have the old column and am tempted to tear into it and see if i can fix it myself. Its the steering lock ecu that was causing the problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My wife's 04 RR got stuck in the end of the Car Wash tunnel, when this happened... Backed up a line of 50+ cars... nice huh?
We figured out how to tear out the center console to get to the spring loaded trigger to release the gear shifter to push the car to where a tow truck could take it to the dealer. Dealer called today to say that this is the Steering column ECU and Steering tilt sensor. ECU built into the steering column... Approx $2,300 total repair, + $100 flatbed tow, + hefty tip for the carwash guys!! Frustration? priceless

·
Registered
47 Posts
I really wonder whether Landrover realizes how these types of breakdowns and the insanely expensive repairs hurt the reputation oftheir vehicles. These steering columm failures are pathetic.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Happen to my Wife also, luckly in our driveway. We left to go out for dinner in another car and came back to it working fine. I think it has to do with the mechanical locking system and the steering column movement. I told my wife to wait until the steering wheel stops to remove the key. I also asked her to not rush putting the key in and pulling it out. So far it has not happened again. I also had a new battery installed a few weeks before this happened. If this was a Toyoda, i think we would of had a recall!!!

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
184 Posts
Maybe your problem is similar to one I had some months ago, with the key stuck in the ignition switch. I couldn't get the key out, and all the problem was the spring loaded trigger to release the gear shifter, as STL04ROVER was describing.

Please check this post of how I fixed:
viewtopic.php?t=42173

Maybe my case was different, and purely a mechanical one, that was fixed with a bit of patience and WD40.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts