RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I posted here a week ago that my key wouldn't turn in my L322 and I will now add what I have done and how I have my L322 working presently. I stripped out the entire centre console so that I could remove the ignition barrel, I removed the barrel which can then be split into two constituent parts. Having split into two parts I then put the key into the barrel but made no attempt to turn it but instead placed a screw driver into the second half of the barrel assembly and used this to 'click' the mechanism through position 1 position 2 then starter. The car started first time and continues to do so as I am effectively by-passing the ignition barrel which I am presuming to be the faulty part. Now in my case with the engine starting and running but a fault in the barrel, I cannot move the gear leaver from park to drive and am assuming a problem with the electro magnet in the barrel assembly, however by manually lifting the lock mechanism I can select drive and all other functions.

No faults are displaying on the dash, all works perfectly, my car is mobile and I have temporarily reassembled the centre console but with the ignition barrel assembly in two pieces hanging out by its wires so as to be able to insert the screwdriver when I need to start the car. I will order the new barrel assembly and fit and all will be well. The complete barrel and assembly is not cheap at about £300 but I shall buy this as opposed to the barrel only as I suspect a fault with the electro magnet inside the assembly.

One addition to this, I am going to remove the electro magnet to see if this frees the barrel, if it does so I will let you know as with this removed I think everything will work except for the cable release for the gear leaver. I will manually disengage this and secure it so the car can be used whilst waiting for the part to arrive, I am told this will be one to two weeks.

I hope this helps some people avoid the need to replace steering columns, ignition barrels, ECU units and the like, I am sure it wont work in all cases but I DO THINK it will help many who have the 'KEY WONT TURN' issue. I may be able to post pictures of the strip down and the split ignition anyone wants and explains to me how to upload photos the the forum.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have subsequently removed the electromagnet and still the barrel does not turn so have to assume it is the barrel itself on the basis that the car will not start unless the key is in the barrel and so guess the key is being recognised. I have driven some 15o miles since my temporary repair, the car has been stopped and started many times during this time and all is fine,

·
Registered
9 Posts
has anyone tried an emulator?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts