RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any thoughts on this, I would like to put an outside door handle on the passenger side of the Rangi
with a key tumbler! My remote has never worked correctly, I have replaced the buttons, cleaned the contacts and am constantly replacing the batteries (monthly) and then it only work 50% of the time. I went to the dealer last week to buy a new one, but the wifes cup holder in the jag broke, so I bought that instead and yes it was 250.00 bucks! So I ordered a stand alone key for the Rangi with out the remote for $20.00 instead.
So instead of having to go around the car to unlock it and then run back to open the doors for the wife and girls I thought hmmm could I fit the passenger side with a tumbler? It wont need to connect to the BECM it could be a stand alone tumbler, I have a couple of driver acuators in stock. :idea:

Scotty

·
Registered
401 Posts
$250? for a cup holder, wow! that stings.

What about your central locking? Doesn't it work? I haven't had a remote system at all /:( ...yet, its on the list.
Eric

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah central locking works great, everything but the remote it only works half the time. And yeah the cup holder sucked, but it's the wifes car and it broke about 6 months ago...

Scotty

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,248 Posts
And if Momma aint happy, nobody is happy... :thumb:

·
Registered
541 Posts
So how would the new tumbler/lock work without the BeCM connection? Would you have to disable the power lock for that door somehow?

Can the P38 be programmed to have the windows roll down with the remote? Then you could just reach in and pull the lock up, of course the alarm may go off. Just thinking out loud here......

It would be great if you could figure it out.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm thinking I would make it work linkage wise but not power wise.. I guess I would just not plug it in. I might get a warning, but I don't think it would be anything more then that.

Scotty

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,248 Posts
Sounds like a good idea to me Scotty.
Another key hole, just as a backup, is a very good idea on our "sensitive" rigs, would be a nice fall back.
I wonder if faultmate could recognize another lock too?? :think:
Make sure you keep me posted on the progress!

Martin

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
The mechanics are certainly easy enough. Just install a drivers handle on the passenger side and have the tumbler keyed to match your current key. However I imagine the security system would read any unlock as coming from the inside. On standard lock this wouldn't be an issue. If you accidently super locked it you'd be screwed if your remote is bunk. It'd be taking some of that play money and prdering a new proper key from the dealer before proceeding with any changes.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey guys thanks for the suggestions, could the Rangi supper lock without the remote being used?

Scotty

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
Scotty said:
Hey guys thanks for the suggestions, could the Rangi supper lock without the remote being used?

Scotty
Haven't read your owners manual have you... 8-|=

Two turns to lock within a couple seconds superlocks it just like hitting the lock button twice within a couple seconds.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ohhh, I did read it a long time ago, :oops: I curently have it in hand thank you kind sir...

Scotty

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok so I can super lock the rangi with the key thats cool, but what will happen if I left the passenger door connector unpluged from the actuator? Will I get a mislock when attempting to super lock, Therfore only being able to Perimetric lock and not ever being able to Volumetric lock. I have only superlocked the car once since I've owned it, and that was by accident, I'm afraid of getting locked out. Hell I even thought about having the alarm turned off via test book.

Scotty

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
Until you have a valid fully operating key/remote I wouldn't do anything. THe remote is the back up for the key and the key is the back up for the remote. Running around with key only abilities could really land you in a pickle if your lock decides to go south and you end up with the alarm going ooff and no way to get in your rig. DOn't laugh, it has happened to three folks on here that I can think of. I'd hate to see ya stranded with a rig full of parts you can't ship. :mrgreen:

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Carl point well taken, I will buy a new remote, then attemp to screw it up.... :lol:

Thank You for your persistence.

Scotty

1 - 14 of 14 Posts