RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

So my key remote stopped working because of a low battery, btw I never got the battery low warning, I replaced the batteries in the key remote and it worked just fine however the battery low message began to appear. I bought another set of batteries, replaced them and must have broken something because now the remote will not lock or unlock the car at all. I can start the car and it will unlock the car if I insert the key into the door.

Additionally, I have a spare key that is not a remote switch key, it is just a regular key. The car will unlock inserted into the door and will start with this spare. However I continue to to get the battery low message when using the the spare.

Does this sound right? I'm heading out on a weekend trip to pismo beach, I really don't want to get left stranded and I don't have time to go to the dealership.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Pismo?
Gonna get the pretty beast all sandy! (I am jealous, used to hit Pismo a couple of times a year with the Champ!)
Be sure to let the tyres down till they belly if you are going into the dunes and hit soft stuff!

I believe what you have done to the fob is broken, or dislocated the battery contact spring.
There have been any number of threads dealing with this issue. Try search.
I have a couple of fobs here from other P-38s I have owned.......Possibly a spare part is available?
Why it is telling you the fob batt is low is anyone's guess (But I bet Richard knows!)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pismo?
Gonna get the pretty beast all sandy! (I am jealous, used to hit Pismo a couple of times a year with the Champ!)
Be sure to let the tyres down till they belly if you are going into the dunes and hit soft stuff!

I believe what you have done to the fob is broken, or dislocated the battery contact spring.
There have been any number of threads dealing with this issue. Try search.
I have a couple of fobs here from other P-38s I have owned.......Possibly a spare part is available?
Why it is telling you the fob batt is low is anyone's guess (But I bet Richard knows!)
Yes! Right on both accounts Bolt. I will be heading into the dunes to see what this beast can do! I just put on 265/60r18 Toyo Open Country A/T's on it, it was much more sure footed on the trails at Hollister Hills.

What PSI do you usually air down to? I'm thinking about 15 PSI all around for the soft bits.

I'm an idiot, I put the metal clip that goes onto the circular cap on the inside rather than the outside. Managed to break the clip as well :doh:. Stole a metal battery clip from a broken flash light and all is well again!! Would having a slightly bigger clip cause any problems?

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
Hello,

So my key remote stopped working because of a low battery, btw I never got the battery low warning, I replaced the batteries in the key remote and it worked just fine however the battery low message began to appear. I bought another set of batteries, replaced them and must have broken something because now the remote will not lock or unlock the car at all. I can start the car and it will unlock the car if I insert the key into the door.
I don't see where you synced your remote. If you didn't sync your remote the system doesn't what the signal is for.

Another point is that you never know how long those batteries have been on the peg. try a different drug store and take from the back of the peg

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I don't see where you synced your remote. If you didn't sync your remote the system doesn't what the signal is for.

Another point is that you never know how long those batteries have been on the peg. try a different drug store and take from the back of the peg
Thanks RRToadHall, turns out I put the metal clip on the battery cap in the wrong place. All is well again!

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Good job on the repair!
Between your Fob save, doing the Frankenstein job on the Nav unit, and EAS fix you are proving to be resourceful enough to have a P-38!:thumb:
Larger clip is no issue as long as it works and the fob is happy.
Like the new sneakers too! I will be wanting 4 new tyres for Bolt soon. Let us know how they go.

When I have driven in soft sand (Literally 1000s of miles in Oz) 15psi was about right if it was mixed firm and soft sand.
Play with your pressures until you get the sweet spot for your tyres and rig.
When (Not if) you do get bogged in some really soft stuff, let them down to like 5 or until they really belly out on the sides,
escape from the soft stuff, and immediately add more air till you are not driving on the sidewalls anymore!
This adding and subtracting of lots of air is why the Aussies have led the world in deployment of high volume portable air systems!
If I had to use one word to describe Oz "Roads" it would be "Dust" All sizes of grains from talc to marbles, it's all dust and it has all settled on most of Oz!
Get a valve core tool (And some spare valve cores!) as letting out air by pressing the valve is slow death! Unscrew the core, let out a bunch, replace core, and adjust as necessary. Careful, as the core can, and will launch itself on some oblique trajectory given half a chance! (Thus the box of spare valve cores) Also, of course, get a high speed portable compressor. The ones with ciggy lighter plugs are pretty wimpy. One with serious croc clips for the battery terminals are best, but $$$!! If Pismo, or other sand will be a common destination, it is a good investment.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts