RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I am a newbie having just bought a 1999 4.6 range rover, the problems I have at the moment

1.is that the key fob doesn't work and I have changed the batteries but still nothing.
2. also the doors lock and unlock themselves as i drive along.

I thought the car was only suposed to run when the key fob was used, or the EKA code. How come the car runs sometimes but then sometimes it comes up with engine immobiliser fault and wont start.
I have no idea so I'm hoping you can help me without me having to spend a fortune.

cheers

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
kharis said:
Hi all
I have no idea so I'm hoping you can help me without me having to spend a fortune.
cheers
Drivers door lock within the door.......
Depends how long the delay is when you first unlocked the rangie

No luxuary car is cheap to fix, its in the complexity of the design features and nothing lasts forever.....

·
Registered
931 Posts
kharis said:
Hi all

I am a newbie having just bought a 1999 4.6 range rover, the problems I have at the moment

1.is that the key fob doesn't work and I have changed the batteries but still nothing.
2. also the doors lock and unlock themselves as i drive along.

I thought the car was only suposed to run when the key fob was used, or the EKA code. How come the car runs sometimes but then sometimes it comes up with engine immobiliser fault and wont start.

cheers
The keyfob has to be resynced to the vehicle after you changed the batteries as per the handbook.
An engine immobiliser FAULT is not the same as the engine being immobilized. :think:

·
Registered
541 Posts
I had a similar door lock issue. I have one fob now that works - took several replacements of the door actuator to cure the locking problem. I still have a dead fob, the problem is the circuit board on that fob. Non -repairable according to the dealer, replacement is several hundred bucks.

I found a ton of info on this topic searching this board and reading the rangerovers.net info, and the RAVE manual.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hi
i have tried to get the EAK from the previous owner but he doesn't have it is there a way of getting from the car computer system, I'm assuming it is different from the stereo code. Also if I just replace the key fob should it work as I need to drive the car to the dealer.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I dont suppose you can fully trust the dealers to give you an answer other than what LR say the answer is, maybe if you can track down an independent auto locksmith he may well be able to truly tell you whats possible and what isnt. I have a key fob issue too and it wont sync to the truck. My second fob has dead batteries so wont unlock the doors but will still start the engine, so batteries seem only needed for the central locking???? Yeh! I know, why not take the batteries out of one and put them in the other!!!!!!!!!!! At this point in time I am a bit afraid that I will end up with both fobs not working and an unstartable truck!

Everywhere I read that buying a second hand fob wont work as it cant be subsequenlty retuned to a 'new' code [by the dealers at least], I will speak to a good local autolocksmith i know to see if mine can be reprogrammed or not. If not then the only way to a working system is to visit the stealers and pay your kings ransom for LR to produce the correct key code and EAK. Aftermarket keys and fobs do seem to be available but you need a working fob for the locksmith to read and teach the new chip to work your truck.

If I recal correctly my stealer said that the cost is £130 and for that I get the EAK, radio code and two working keys. Actualy if thats the case - and I suspect it wont be!, thats not too bad a deal as unuseable [?]used P38 fobs can fetch £60+ each on the fleabay.

I very much suspect that a sticky Key fob thread would be useful for newbies like us :idea:

Gordon

·
Registered
931 Posts
kharis said:
hi
i have tried to get the EAK from the previous owner but he doesn't have it is there a way of getting from the car computer system, I'm assuming it is different from the stereo code. Also if I just replace the key fob should it work as I need to drive the car to the dealer.
If you contact the Dealer with your VIN No. and proof of ownership,they will usually give you the EKA code free of charge.if you are in the US try 1515 first.

You cannot buy a used Key fob and sync it to your vehicle or have it reprogrammed to your vehicle by anyone as far as I know.
You can purchase a new fob (No 1 to 4) from a dealer who will have it programmed specifically to your vehicle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi

So the key saga continues, I live in dubai and have spoken to the land rover dealer here cost of one new fob is £294 and takes 3 weeks to arrive which is ridiculas. I had to have the car towed out of the shopping centre it was stuck in and to the mechanic, i bet this is going to sting the pocket not the ideal first landrover experience i wanted, thanks for your help.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts
I had the same issue with my key fob not working all the time, so I took my I.D. and my ownership papers to the dealer and I ordered a new key without the fob just the key. It's nice it was 20 bucks :dance: I love it...

Scotty

·
Registered
97 Posts
Scotty said:
I had the same issue with my key fob not working all the time, so I took my I.D. and my ownership papers to the dealer and I ordered a new key without the fob just the key. It's nice it was 20 bucks :dance: I love it...

Scotty
like a valet key?

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts
Yes sir it's a nice one as well..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts