Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought this truck a week ago and it came with only one key. I had been visiting my friend in Montauk and this morning, while taking something out of the trunk I forgot the key in the trunk when I closed the glass lid. Now it is locked inside.

The AAA guy tried for an hour but couldn't unlock the car although he claimed to have opened RRs. The AAA locksmith told me that I need to talk to the dealership and I plan on calling them tomorrow morning.

Since I need to back at work tomorrow I had to leave the locked car at my friend's place 3 hours away.

Under these circumstances, I would appreciate some feedback on what is the best course of action. I did read on this forum that there is a way to get into the car but couldn't find any concrete info. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I did and ordered a new key for $270 from the Land Rover dealer in Manhattan. I needed another key anyway but the circumstances aren't convenient. Now I'll have to go back to my friend's place away with the hope that the new key works and all the jimmying the AAA guy did on the doors hasn't resulted in any damage.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bummer! The new key didn't open the door. The dealership is closed now but will call them tomorrow morning.

Thinking of options...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Bummer! The new key didn't open the door. The dealership is closed now but will call them tomorrow morning.

Thinking of options...
i dont know what the AAA guy tried to do but the plastic air bag jimmy slip it in the door and pump it up to give enough space to send a un bent hanger through to hit the central lock switch, if you cant reach it from there try the sunroof.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The nightmare is finally over. I was waiting for the tow truck to have it towed to dealer when AAA called and told me they found someone that can open it. I was skeptical but this guy opened it within 5 minutes. He claims to be the only person in Hamptons who can open it.

He went through the tailgate and used a bent thin wire to pull on a latch that opened the glass lid.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I also found that my keys don't lock/unlock the front door. The key fob lock/unlock buttons work so it seems strange. This can be huge problem if battery dies. There won't be any way of getting inside the car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts