Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Range Rover HSE P38
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys! i Own a gorgeous Range Rover 2001 HSE...

And I know that without my keyfob ill no be able to make my truck work even if i want to...
my wife almost broke the only keyfob i have today, thankfully it was just the little sprint on it.

I live in The border of Mexico, my truck can not go back to USA for registration problems but because i live in the border I can use the truck without problems and normally i use it for off road and overland.

But after my wife almost brake my only keyfob the fear come, what if i lose it, drope it in a river or just brake it in the middle of nowhere...

so, what and where can i get a copy? any idea? any amazon code copy remote? im afraid if i Go to LR Dealership it will be overprice and maybe they will need the truck.

thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,281 Posts
You could try getting a key cut so you can use it manually in an emergency, a locksmith should be able to do it for you. There are people in the UK who do replacement fobs, someone here will give you details or do a search on the forum.

·
Registered
2001 Range Rover HSE P38
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You could try getting a key cut so you can use it manually in an emergency, a locksmith should be able to do it for you. There are people in the UK who do replacement fobs, someone here will give you details or do a search on the forum.
I have an extra key that i made with a locksmith, but, in the scenario where i park in the mountains and activate the alarm and lost my keyfob... is almost imposible to make it work.

·
Registered
2001 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
138 Posts
Contact Les Edwards at Classic Rides North Wales in the UK. He can make you replacement fobs. My can only had one fob when I got it and I had Les make me two additional ones, for extra extra security. ;)

·
Administrator
5,465 Posts
To be safe and stop yourself being locked out in the mountains, lock the car with the key rather than the fob. It still sets the alarm and immobiliser but will turn them off when you unlock with the key. The problems start if you lock with the fob and unlock with the key. If locked with the key you can unlock with the key or the fob. This assumes the microswitches in the door latch are good and working properly, if not, unlocking with the key won't turn off the alarm and immobiliser.

Reactions: p38arover

·
Registered
2001 Range Rover HSE P38
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To be safe and stop yourself being locked out in the mountains, lock the car with the key rather than the fob. It still sets the alarm and immobiliser but will turn them off when you unlock with the key. The problems start if you lock with the fob and unlock with the key. If locked with the key you can unlock with the key or the fob. This assumes the microswitches in the door latch are good and working properly, if not, unlocking with the key won't turn off the alarm and immobiliser.
Richard! this is amazing! Question. Before i knew how to sync the keyfob with the truck i made the mistake of lock the door with the key and when i try to turn it on it say Engine disable and as you know it was hard several time to make it work again. that have not happen to me again because i made it to sync the key fob... Was i doing something wrong? in the scenario where im in the mountains and lock with the key and my remote get wet...

Question 2: If my key fob works and i super lock with the key, will the Key Fob still unlock it?

thanks! i know the question one is tricky

·
Administrator
5,465 Posts
I suspect you actually unlocked it with the key which is what would have immobilised it, unless you have a failing microswitch in the latch that only operates sometimes. Not sure how you synced the fob as you cannot normally do that when it is immobilised, only when unlocked and un-immobilised. In your scenario of locking with the fob and having to unlock with the key, you would normally have to enter the EKA. NAS cars mostly didn't have the EKA programmed although numerous people have found that the default 1515 will work.

Yes, if it is superlocked, whether by key or fob, the fob will still unlock it. That's how it was designed to be used.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts