RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a brand new 2020 RRS HSE, and even with a new battery the key fob won't open the door when I grab door handle unless I take the FOB out and hold it like 1 foot away. It wont even unlock if its in my pocket. What is the deal with these FOBs? Anyone else have this happen?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Intently watching this post. I have the EXACT same issue. Granted, never talked to Service about it. Maybe I should start there... Love to hear anything you learn on it.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
156 Posts
Not sure how the 2020 is set-up but my 2016 has a small concave depression on the outside of the door handle. I touch it to lock and touch it again to open. Never take the fob out of my pocket. I know some other makes are set up to touch the outside of the handle to lock and the inside to open. On those, if one's hand is wrapped around the handle, both the open and close spots can be touched at the same time with inconsistent results.

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
287 Posts
I have a 2019.5 HST, and had this same issue. It had the "distance" issue, and at times, wouldn't start, and I had to hold it next to the steering column, etc. I gave up taking it a 2nd time to my local LR dealer, and went to Sacramento (Rocklin). It took 3 weeks to fix. Antennas, head unit changed, etc. Finally, it is perfect.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm no help. I have a 2020.5 model and have not had any issues with the door not unlocking with the key in the pocket.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a 2019.5 HST, and had this same issue. It had the "distance" issue, and at times, wouldn't start, and I had to hold it next to the steering column, etc. I gave up taking it a 2nd time to my local LR dealer, and went to Sacramento (Rocklin). It took 3 weeks to fix. Antennas, head unit changed, etc. Finally, it is perfect.
Wait, it took 3 weeks to fix it? And they had to do all that??? Thats insanity

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
287 Posts
On my HST, the symptoms were easy to demonstrate. Key fob is always in my right pocket. Habit. If I interact with the door to lock with my LEFT hand, rarely would it lock or unlock. If I used my right hand (with right side of body within a foot of the car, no problem). Anytime I used the push buttons, no problem. It was only the passive actions.

The other thing that happened periodically, it would NOT see the key when starting. Thus, had to hold the key fob near the steering column. Sometimes, while already driving, I get the alert that the FOB is no longer in the car.

The first dealer in Reno said it was probably a firmware issue, and said that they would report it. I would be given a phone call when a fix was available. After a month of this crap, I went to the Rocklin dealer (100 mile drive into Cali). They always provide loaners, and agreed to fix it. I was given a 2020 Discovery Sport, and they went to work. The narrative was morning calls with the UK team, and then afternoon actions recommended by the techs. This meant each "fix" was a 3 day affair, due to time zone.

After SW tweaks, they replaced antenna's, and thought they had it. A couple of tests proved no-go. Finally, UK advised to replace the entire system which meant taking apart the center console. That apparently is no easy fix, as the car's brain is linked to the vin, etc. Took a bit of time to get all that realigned (per dealer).

Anyway, that fixed it, but I had to resubscribe to sat-radio and other misc features as it was like a new car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Do you just grab the door handle? Or do you touch the depression on the outside first?
To open: your fingers must touch the inside of the door pull.
To lock: you press the dimple (not the "key" symbol)

This works on all four door handles not just the driver's door.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Did the vehicle fall off a truck so that you didn't get the most basic things explained by, say, a dealer....?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a brand new 2020 RRS HSE, and even with a new battery the key fob won't open the door when I grab door handle unless I take the FOB out and hold it like 1 foot away. It wont even unlock if its in my pocket. What is the deal with these FOBs? Anyone else have this happen?
Bought new 2018 RRS and a month ago one of the two key fobs was not working as you described. Changed out new battery and still an issue. Had to replace receiving antennae on car and key fob transmitter to resolve problem. Hope this helps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts