RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi im a newbie to range rovers, i disconected my battery and now my key fob wont work the alarm/door locks etc

does anyone know how to reprogramme them ?

many thanks
darren

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2,064 Posts
Check this out, I know a guy who has identified the coding in the BECM that will allow him to take a set of P38 keys with the coding and program that set of keys to work on another Rangi!!! 8)
He is also working on a reset for the cluster. I can't give out any more info then that at this time..
but updates to follow..

Scotty

·
Registered
550 Posts
Not sure where you are from, if you are in the States side, I did it last night on my 99 after replacing the Battery:

1. Insert the key with the Fob into the drivers side door lock.
2. Press the unlock button and turn the key Clockwise to unlock.
3. Press the lock button and turn the key anti-Clockwise to lock and the Fob should register (should see the side indicators flashing).

P.S. It may be that all you need to do is insert the key and press Lock/Unlock buttons. I always did it the way I described and it works for me.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Scotty said:
Check this out, I know a guy who has identified the coding in the BECM that will allow him to take a set of P38 keys with the coding and program that set of keys to work on another Rangie!!! 8)
He is also working on a reset for the cluster. I can't give out any more info then that at this time..
but updates to follow..

Scotty
Ha! Nice! Bet my local (sort of) dealer wished they could have done that for me....
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=38292

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
Scotty said:
Check this out, I know a guy who has identified the coding in the BECM that will allow him to take a set of P38 keys with the coding and program that set of keys to work on another Rangi!!! 8)
but updates to follow..

Scotty
Really. That sounds more than interesting.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts
Very cool..

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,421 Posts
Rick-the-Pick said:
I've been doing that for years. I have a selection of used key fobs ready to be programmed as & when needed.
So how can I get a second fob for mine noting the dealer who replaced the lockset some years ago didn't update the LR database with the new lockset code?

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts
If I understand it correctly you need the matching BECM and key, so as to pull the key code from the BECM...and then address the key to your Rangi. The Key code currently used on your car will most definitely be in your BECM..

·
Registered
931 Posts
Rick-the-Pick said:
I've been doing that for years. I have a selection of used key fobs ready to be programmed as & when needed.

In that case can a key1 for example be reprogrammed to be a key 2.
Surprised Rick,you seem to have kept it quiet.There have often been questions about "Can a key reprogrammed to work on my RR".The answer always seems to have been no,or am I misunderstanding what you have posted :think:

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts
I would think so but I'll check with the software engineer, and get back to you...

·
Registered
97 Posts
It is much safer to buy a Key programmed for your BECM. a key is what 175 and is super easy to synch so there is no reprogramming fees. What he is doing is changing the security code in your BECM to read the same code as the used key that you want to use. You can only use 1 security code, so you cannot use keys that don't "match" IE have the same security code. This might be fine and dandy until you are miles from home and your key craps out and you are forced to try and figure out how to get a key to match that code that you have reprogrammed into your BECM. Dealer orders by Vin and proof of ownership. I do not think that they can order buy security code. So someone might look into that to make sure.

If there was a way to reprogram the key fob itself to your existing BECM, then you are golden.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
KyleT said:
your key craps out and you are forced to try and figure out how to get a key to match that code that you have reprogrammed into your BECM. Dealer orders by Vin and proof of ownership. I do not think that they can order buy security code. So someone might look into that to make sure.

If there was a way to reprogram the key fob itself to your existing BECM, then you are golden.
Simply order a new key with the VIN number you told the BECM guy to write down in the BECM.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
36 Posts
So in order to get the new remotes you will physically need to reprogram the BeCM to accept the new codes from the remote?

·
Registered
820 Posts
You're somewhat right.

I get through a lot of becm's that come with keys. It's the matching key set's that come in two's & three's that are valuable.

There's two methods for programming them. Either extract the fob code directly from the becm of request the lock set bar code from any one of the main dealers that use me.

You cannot add an additional key to a set if it's not part of that set. This can only be supplied from the dealer.

For reference, we repair keyfobs for £50 a go.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts