RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys here's a question, before I begin I have no door lock issues at all. Ok, for some reason I need to change my Key Fob batteries every month because they go dead.
I tried to research this issue, but know luck.

Scotty

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
How long has this been going on and are you buying batteries at the same place? If it's only been a couple or three months, buy your batteries some place else. More than a couple times I have had batteries fail after only a week or be dead out of the package. For this reason I no longer buy batteries at the local druggist.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, Carl I think the privous owner had this issue he never used the remotes, He said they didn't work. So when I got the car home the first thing I did was to go to buy batteries at
wallgreens, they worked for about a month or so. So then I went to the dealer and purchased batts same issue, yeah I don't think it's the batteries, I have tried several sets and still seem to have the issue. Key fob 2 never worked at all.

Scotty

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah kinda did that what would you clean them with ? I did new button cover thing. Ya know I just took the back off again and there is corosion on the contacts. So would I use contact cleaner and a Q-tip?

Scotty

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
I've seen a TSB on the keyfob contacts and how to clean them but I don't think I have it here with me at home.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll find it thank you...

Scotty

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the only TSB I saw was Unwanted car unlocking thats 1996

Scotty

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hi, this is Big-T's wife Little-C. Do you put your key fob in your pocket or purse (sorry if you're a guy-no offence intended) when you're not using it? The button may be getting pressed while in your pocket. Do you find that you are needing to re-calibrate your key in your door lock or ignition often? If so this may be your problem. Our 2nd fob doesn't work either, never has, even has brand new batteries. Good luck, C. 8)

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you Little- C, Yes I keep my keys in my pocket and yes I am always having to reset the key-Fob hmmmm

Scotty

·
Registered
640 Posts

Cheers

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you Col. and Rich I really appreciate your help. Hey check my Oil consumption thread please, help..

:clap: Scotty

·
Registered
284 Posts
Key Fob Clean and Still not working

Hey guys my battery died and had to replace the battery the key fob no longer works. I put in two new batteries checked the battery life with a voltage meter. Cleaned the contacts as pictured, try to resynchronize the key fob and nothing the light does not light up with when I push in the buttons....

Can anyone assist?

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
You mean the main battery died in the engine bay? So you replaced the main battery and the fob stopped working?

Provided you've connected the battery properly, make sure the fob red LED lights up when you press the lock on the fob. If that's working then you'll need to re-sync the fob to the vehicle. That process is in the User Manual for the car.

·
Registered
284 Posts
They battery in my key fob died. I put some new batteries in and the red LED does not light up. I also tried to resynchronize the key fob by putting it into the lock holding the lock button and turning to lock the truck. I did the opposite and pressed unlock and turned the key to unlock and did this several times and I still can not get this key fob to work. The red LED will not come on when pushing the buttons. I cleaned off the leads inside the key fob as instructed....

·
Registered
931 Posts
Re: Key Fob Clean and Still not working

medcapequip said:
Hey guys my battery died and had to replace the battery the key fob no longer works. I put in two new batteries checked the battery life with a voltage meter. Cleaned the contacts as pictured, try to resynchronize the key fob and nothing the light does not light up with when I push in the buttons....

Can anyone assist?
Presumably the fob worked before you changed the battery.You cant check battery life with a voltmeter,merely read the voltage which will give you an indication of the battery state.Either the new batteries are u/s or they are not installed correctly.This may merely mean you have put fingerprints all over them which prevents contact with the +- terminals on the batteries.Try wiping the battery surfaces with a lint free cloth wet with isopropyl alcohol or similar and then carefully reinstall.

·
Registered
284 Posts
hmm...never wiped the batteries pretty clean with some surgical gloves.

the little red LED will not light up. i wonder if there is something wrong with my key fob....

can i buy a used one on ebay and program it to my truck by using the synchronization method?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts