RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover P38A
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 separate questions. This is for a 2000 P38 SE. I purchased it a month ago, only had 1 key.

First, I ordered replacement key and remote from my local dealer. They are telling me that they now need to be programmed to my vehicle, and they want an additional $150 to do that. Is this just the syncing of the FOB I have read about? Unlocking the door with the key, and press the unlock button? or do I need to actually schedule the appointment and drop the vehicle off?

Second question, on the existing fob the lock button works, led lights up. Unlock doesn't unlock the vehicle and the led doesn't light. I have removed the rubber cover and can push directly on the small square black buttons. Is this typically something wrong with the remote circuit board?

Thanks.

·
Banned
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
3,952 Posts
It's just the syncing that needs to be done. Key in the lock, turn to lock and hold there, press lock button until the LED flashes faster, release button and return the lock to central. Then turn to unlock, hold, press and hold unlock button, release and it should be synced.

The switches in the fob are a dual pole switch and if one pole fails it won't work. Sometimes taking the fob apart so you can give the switch a squirt of switch cleaner will do the job.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you sir. Appreciate saving some $$$ :)

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,159 Posts
+1 on the syncing.. $150 extra... theives!!!

If cleaning the switch on the remote doesn't work, then there are places that fix the fobs and can put new switches in for you.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's just the syncing that needs to be done. Key in the lock, turn to lock and hold there, press lock button until the LED flashes faster, release button and return the lock to central. Then turn to unlock, hold, press and hold unlock button, release and it should be synced.
Hmmm, this method did not work.

I also tried the method where you press and hold the lock button, insert key, turn key, remove key, release button. Then repeat for the unlock.

The new physical key will lock, unlock the doors, and start the car.

I even read that with the 2000s the remote should sync just from placing the key in the ignition and starting the vehicle.

Nope.

Will do some more searching here and see if I can get this figured out.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hmmm, this method did not work.

I also tried the method where you press and hold the lock button, insert key, turn key, remove key, release button. Then repeat for the unlock.

The new physical key will lock, unlock the doors, and start the car.

I even read that with the 2000s the remote should sync just from placing the key in the ignition and starting the vehicle.

Nope.

Will do some more searching here and see if I can get this figured out.
Yes, later models should sync from lock but not sure if you have to press a button.

Mine's an early one but from memory I put the key in the lock, pressed unlock and then unlocked with the key. Then I pressed lock and locked it. Didn't work first time though.

Make sure your RF receiver unit is connected. Sometimes people unplug the earlier versions in a hopeless attempt to stop it draining the battery, burning the locks and losing sync.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, later models should sync from lock but not sure if you have to press a button.

Mine's an early one but from memory I put the key in the lock, pressed unlock and then unlocked with the key. Then I pressed lock and locked it. Didn't work first time though.

Make sure your RF receiver unit is connected. Sometimes people unplug the earlier versions in a hopeless attempt to stop it draining the battery, burning the locks and losing sync.
The key I got with the vehicle is still locking, but it has never unlocked, no light on the remote for unlock.

The new remote (#3) won't do anything. The light on the remote lights up for lock and unlock. The key works the door lock and the ignition.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The two remotes from the dealer (#3 and #4) were 250ea.

I a wondering since they are brand new if maybe I do need to have them 'programmed' by the dealer :(

·
Registered
145 Posts
They should be programmed already if from main dealer, as grrrrrrr says, should be as easy as holding lock, while locking, then unlock and unlocking.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
May be a problem with your door latch- in particular the CDL microswitch. From RAVE:

A handset may be resynchronised by performing a
key lock, or unlock, on either front door within 30
seconds of performing a remote lock, superlock, or
unlock function. The BeCM uses the change of state
of the CDL Switch to initiate resynchronisation.

·
Registered
658 Posts
witht the driver door unlocked, try holding the lock button on the fob for 20 seconds keep pressing and lock the door eith the key without releasing the button turn kry back to centrwl position keep button pressed remove key wait wnother 10 seconds before releasing the button then try the remote buttons to ensure it's sync'd

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just wanted to follow up.
I ordered both the #3 and #4 keys. When 4 arrived a few weeks back the metal key was visibly not even close so it got sent back. New #4 arrived yesterday. Key works, and it synced right up for me. hold lock button, insert key, lock, remove, release button.

Hit the unlock button and the vehicle unlocked. Both buttons works fine.

But on fob #3 no matter what I have tried I can't get it to synch. I am tempted to set up an appointment with the dealer, but I am also wondering if it's just a bad remote. I mean the metal key in 4 was wrong the first time around, maybe the remote is wrong on #3?

The key in 3 is correct, it locks/unlocks as well as starts the vehicle. I have driven the truck 30+ miles with #3 in the ignition. But can not get #3 fob to synch

1 - 13 of 13 Posts