RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife loves to drive my 13 RRS but often leaves the key fob in the cupholder. Recently she did this (it was the last place I saw it before exiting the vehicle but we could never find the key later.) She has a bad habit of stopping the truck and immediately getting distracted by her phone...Anyway, I've searched the vehicle everyday and yet I suspect the fob is still inside because it still starts. Last night I forgot the other key and went out, only to have it start. I've also had the Key Fob Battery Low warning. Any ideas? I have legit searched all the nooks and crannies around and under the seats, even removing plastic pieces around the seat frames and no luck. It so tight inside the vehicle, there just aren't that many places it could have gone. Lost!

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
There are nooks and crannies between console and seats as well as under the seats. As you are looking at around $300 at the dealer for a replacement it would be a good idea to remove the passenger or drivers seat and check under the carpet flaps where the wiring comes up as well as the seat mounts. You can easily remove a seat in about 10-15 minutes. Remember to follow proper SRS shut down and disconnect the battery.

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
516 Posts
Have you tried to lock the vehicle to see if it thinks the key is still inside? I'm not sure how the locking system works on the '13 but may be worth a try.

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
If his Rover is starting then the key is still in it. It's just a matter of finding it before it's battery dies from not being used.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
480 Posts
Toad mentioned the carpet flaps under the seat: another spot is under the seat frame rails. May need to move the seats all the way forward and then poke with along screwdriver. On my 08, I dropped an expensive pen, started looking for it; under the right rail, driver's side, but then a silver dollar and a rather expensive cigar lighter. . . .

If the car starts, it is in the car . . . don't quit.

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Oops... sorry Toad, I missed the part about it still starting. I will halt all replies until sufficient coffee is consumed.

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
LMAO! :lol: It's almost time for something a bit stronger on your side of things!

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
797 Posts
My wife loves to drive my 13 RRS but often leaves the key fob in the cupholder. Recently she did this (it was the last place I saw it before exiting the vehicle but we could never find the key later.) She has a bad habit of stopping the truck and immediately getting distracted by her phone...Anyway, I've searched the vehicle everyday and yet I suspect the fob is still inside because it still starts. Last night I forgot the other key and went out, only to have it start. I've also had the Key Fob Battery Low warning. Any ideas? I have legit searched all the nooks and crannies around and under the seats, even removing plastic pieces around the seat frames and no luck. It so tight inside the vehicle, there just aren't that many places it could have gone. Lost!

Mike,

I had the exact same problem and I found the key lodged inside the rear pillar of the front driver’s seat. I’m just trying to describe it so bear with me. That pillar is a thick piece of stamped sheet metal and is, for lack of a better word, hollow. It’s really hard to get to but if you feel around in there at the base you may find the FOB. Forget about getting it out with your fingers or hand because you’ll only be able to get two or three fingers in there. I have small hands and even I could not get more than three fingers in there and even then I could not get them in deep enough to grasp the FOB and pull it out. In the end I had to use a coat hanger and gently coax it out with repeat flicks until it was out enough to get my fingers around it and pull it out. Honestly, I was on the verge of unbolting the seat just to get at the FOB. It was that deeply lodged.

Lastly, my FOB is the bulky fat one that is metal with a rubber like cover. If yours is the newer 2012-13 plastic FOB then it will be harder to pull out due to its smooth plastic cover.

Good luck

·
Registered
231 Posts
Canrover speaks the truth, I've found almost everything I've dropped right back here (passenger side in picture) in this
seat attachment area by the center console. Believe me your key fob is in here - way back by the yellow arrow (sorry for the paint software)
Take off the plastic cover that's over this bracket and then using a coat hanger enter through the small hole by yellow arrow and push anything you find forward towards the front of seat (towards red arrows) See Picture -If it shows up?
The picture appears in the window when typing up this post then POOF it's a gone?

KeyFobHide.jpg

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
sadly Mike hasn't been online since the 9th. Perhaps he ended up under a seat with both hands bound up in wiring harnesses and is still looking for the fob that allows his rig to start. Hopefully a few Cheetos and some fries are under there as well so he does expire from lack of sustenance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts