RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got the truck in July, the keyfob didnt work but the key would start the car. I replaced the battery and after a successful syncing process, the keyfob worked for a few months. A couple weeks ago, I noticed the buttons would not unlock the car from any distance, had to try multiple times and approach the key close to the vehicle. It would lock the car and arm the alarm pretty reliably, but had issues unlocking it.
I thought maybe my battery was no good or not charging. I did some long drives and the issue only got worse, and after a week or so would not unlock the truck using the buttons. It got embarrassing when I had to manually unlock the car which would trigger the alarm. I reopened my fob and found my battery voltage sitting comfortably at 3.3v, which I believe is a charged voltage?

I tried resetting the ECU by disconnecting the battery terminals and touching them together. I also tried keeping the positive connected to the battery and using a jumper to short the ground connector to the positive for 15 seconds. no change

I also checked a bunch of fuses in the glovebox which were all good, but not sure I got the right one. intermittent issues would not be explained by a fuse though.

I just tried the syncing process below to no luck.
1) Get in and close all doors. Turn ignition on and off quickly and remove the key (all within about 5 seconds).

2) Within 30 seconds of turning the ignition off, while holding down the "unlock" button, press the "lock" button three times. Release the "unlock" button. (You may or may not get the confirmation from the door locks.) Holding the key at your head level provides best results as the key sensor is in the side window pillar.

3) Repeat for each key you want to initialize within 30 seconds after the last one you initialized (if you have more).

4) Right after doing the last key, quickly put the key back in the ignition and turn it on/off again to finalize.

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
what ear is your Sport?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Your key fob rechargeable battery is dying (more than 10 years old). I had the exact same issue with my 07 RRSC and had to get a new key fob from Stealership (expensive). There is a service on eBay (search for roverkeyrepair) that would fix your key for around $70.

That is the only fix. You can get the new key from Dealer for around $350 and program it yourself (if you have IIDTool) or get your fixed with after market fob cover from eBay service (no reprogramming needed).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I replaced the battery a couple months ago and the key was working fine for a few months. When these issues started happening again, I tested the voltage of the battery and it was a charged 3.3V. ...
I already replaced the battery.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got to test the truck with another keyfob that is known to be working. I tried to sync the new key to my truck but the truck didnt lock/unlock after the procedure so I think the issue's with my truck. I followed the procedure of using my key to turn the ignition to position 2 then back to off, pulled the key out, and on the working fob held the lock button and pressed the unlock 3 times. the truck didnt respond though and the key didnt work.

How can I diagnose and access the antennae in the truck? is this a common issue? I'm pretty sure i've had water leak in through my sunroof before. (carwashes are off limits now lol)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts