RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to the global NAS fob shortage, I am working on a solution that will get me a second fob for the Borrego.
I have a couple of working old fobs from previous P-38s I have owned. I have the print out of the 3 digit fob codes for them from when I had the various Becms unlocked by Dr Scott.
I have an unlocked Becm in the Borrego.
Can I simply insert a new fob code in the Becm via Nanocom in, say, Position 3 and store it?
Seems simple enough.........???

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
455 Posts
I have used a new key that was meant for somebody else for a friend's BECM. But I did it with SM035, to the best of my knowledge youb can't change them with a Nanocom unless the BECM is new. But they only accept 1 key code, not several like an L322
He couldn't afford a new one, here they come to about 350 USD .

What is different between NAS and say the rest of the Americas? We also have 315 Mhz, but no extra sidelights or oxygen sensors.

Enviado desde mi SM-A720F mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
My experience is with a Faultmate, I have not used a Nanocom so can't comment on the specifics of that but I think they are similar.

If you already know the 3 part fob code (not 3 digits) for the key simply enter this into an unlocked BECM and it will work.

For anyone who does not have the code, a main dealer can supply the original 14 digit set lock bar code if you quote the VIN, but they may charge.
Black Box Solutions can then convert the lock set bar code into the fob code. I guess they must know the algorithm or else have a list of the records.

You can't have 2 dissimilar keys. You can only enter one fob code into the BECM.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Yes Dave, you have to unlock it first. That is why I did it with SM035. A Nanocom can't do that.

I get the bar codes together with the EKA when I send the request.

Blackbox does the conversion quickly during their working hours.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have an unlocked Becm, and it seems it will allow me via Nano to access and modify the key codes in the Fob section. I have 3 spaces showing with 3 digits each for keys 1-3.
I have not tried to write a new code to it yet, but it seems I will have to try......
What could possibly go wrong?8-0=

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update:
As for what could go wrong?
I can tell you what did go wrong, but I have no idea why?
I over wrote the last digit in the 3 part fob code, and stored it.
Ok so far, I wrote the correct digit back in and stored it.
Oh, I have worked out what Dave was saying about 3 part code.....You get only one 3 part code, and this designates 4 possible fobs for the vehicle.
Range Rover has these 4 codes.....I happen to have key one and four for this truck.
My initial premise that the fob codes shown were for the several possible fobs for my truck turns out to have been dead wrong!.....Waaaay too easy for Range Rover!
I was suspicious about the missing 4th code, but in the name of science, went ahead.....
and what Dave wrote should have stopped me in my tracks.....
I do not understand however, how it erased the EKA and Codes, as it should have re written them.
If you can delete them and store, why not re write and store? Marty? Annette? Scotty?
Oh, yea, Computers hate me as well:dance:......Just saying!

NOW, when I tried to re sync the fobs, they failed to do so.
This is because the 3 part fob code AND the EKA code were erased in the Becm! (Shoots!)
I attempted to re enter them a few times and the Nano confirmed they were present and good......Until I cycled the nano and re connected to read what I wrote. All blank spaces.
So, Truck started fine, but no fob locking.
I had no choice therefore than to dust off the fully cloned back up Becm and chuck it in.
All back to normal now, but I will need to have the codes re entered via sm35 equipped person.
UNLESS the codes can be input by Faultmate alone, as I have that as well. (no laptop with me here, so I will have to get to California and do it there.)

The moral of the story?
DO NOT try this at home unless you are prepared to partially brick your Becm.
Or you have a good cloned spare Becm.......

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
To be able to change it without SM035 you need to have the BECM in factory state.
There is a nice BECM document up here that lists all the plugs and signals, they have a section there which say when and how it can be altered by testbook.
Basically that is what you can do with a Nanocom.

Sometimes (I still don't know why) the barcode and EKA seem to be gone unless you access it via SM035. The barcode is often invisible to other software. If you try to change one that us there although you can't see it, the result can be totally wrong.

Before I lived in Costa Rica I had never seen a BECM without EKA, in those you can usually program an EKA once without direct access.

I write the EKA inside the BECM on the board with big marker and the date. Same goes for other important data. So if this ever becomes invisible there is a plan bee.

Personally I prefer to do ID changes or clones with sm035, the extra hour is really not lost for the extra safety

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To be able to change it without SM035 you need to have the BECM in factory state.

By this, do you mean "Unlocked state" or as shipped from the factory?
My Becm is indeed unlocked, and what I don't understand is if I can change the settings....Even if it is to delete them, should I not be able to re enter the data and store it?
Do you get one shot at this after unlocking?
I also seem to recall, this Becm re set it's EKA from 1515 to 0000 after I had a play with my new MSV II, many years ago. I had to send it off to Scotty for unlock and re program.
As the Becm was locked, I "Should" not have been able to affect the EKA?
Possibly I have a slightly dodgy Becm, and it throws a wobbly if messed with.
If I was a true daredevil, I would try it with this Becm, but I am getting too old for that kind of risk:naughty:

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,195 Posts
OK, to clear a few things up hopefully...

Each fob has an ID that is transmitted when you press a lock/unlock button, along with a value for which button has been pressed (lock/unlock and probably a different info byte for if it's been pulsed by the ignition coil).

The BECM will accept use of 4 keys, yea - but the fob code in the BECM is NOT the ID's of 3 keys. It is the ID (in decimal) of Key #1 of a particular lockset. So a BECM when looking at the key fob code that's received will accept (if synced) the ID of the key fob code that is stored in the BECM, PLUS the next 3 SEQUENTIAL codes. That's how you get 4 keys - and also why you can't mix and match fobs from different locksets - because the codes are in different ranges.

Now, when it comes to programming the BECM in vehicle... if it is UNLOCKED, from the point of the programming lock (not LOCKOUT, which is either the EKA lockout or alarm lockout and different) then you CAN reprogram the fob codes/EKA using the likes of a Nanocom. Note this will ONLY work if when you read the values on a Nanocom you get actual digits being read. If you get '----' for the EKA and '--- --- ---' for the fob code, then the BECM is programming locked and you won't be able to read/change/reprogram these values in the vehicle.

In your case Bolt - if you have an unlocked BECM and reprogram the fob codes, then you would be able to use a fob from whatever lockset you programmed.

Have you tried reprogramming the EKA with the Nanocom? The EKA to my knowledge CANNOT be 0000 - especially if it's enabled, I haven't tried it with EKA disabled - and in fact when I program a BECM with the faultmate and have an EKA which has a 0 in it, then I get an error. The EKA HAS to be 4 digits, and HAS to be between 1 and 6. 0 or anything above 6 won't work.

It is possible that if the EKA isn't being reprogrammed properly then even if you try to write the settings and it says it's programmed them, if something is incorrect, then chances are it won't change anything.

I would try going in with the Nanocom and programming the EKA first, making sure you exit out and press 'Write Settings' and THEN go back in and try reprogramming the fob code (again making your you press 'Write Settings' before exiting out.

If these are getting programmed in OK and then you still can't sync the key, I would try clearing the RF memory in the BECM, as it could be that it's still got something from one of the other key fobs in there, and that is causing an issue with then trying to use another fob.

If it is erasing the fob codes and EKA when you try to write them back in, then I think this is a sign again of something not being correct that it is trying to program, so it's not actually writing anything.

If it helps, post up a couple of pictures of the settings showing in the Nanocom and I'll see if I can decipher what's happening.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts