RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ,
i have a 1998 Range Rover 4.0 Se.. well when i bought the car the buttons for the alarm were worn out so i never used them. So to lock my car i would use the key to unlock and lock my car i guess manually. But as of yesterday my key wouldnt lock my car and i dont know why.. but my key works to start my car up and drive.. but my car doesnt lock with my key anymore.. why is that? fuse... battery in the key?? do i need to take the battery cables off the battery?? help i cant have my baby outside not locked up .. its not a good feeling and you cant sleep.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That looks like alot of work... man.. i was thinking something more of the lines of being a fuse or something.
im so confused.

·
Registered
517 Posts
It's either the door latch as mentioned above or the the metal rod that goes between the door lock and door latch could have popped off.

·
Registered
931 Posts
jflo said:
Hey ,
i have a 1998 Range Rover 4.0 Se.. well when i bought the car the buttons for the alarm were worn out so i never used them. So to lock my car i would use the key to unlock and lock my car i guess manually. But as of yesterday my key wouldnt lock my car and i dont know why.. but my key works to start my car up and drive.. but my car doesnt lock with my key anymore.. why is that? fuse... battery in the key?? do i need to take the battery cables off the battery?? help i cant have my baby outside not locked up .. its not a good feeling and you cant sleep.
Does it not lock any of the doors or does it lock the drivers door only?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
when i put my key in my door lock it doesnt unlock or lock my car.. when I turn me key there is no tension what so ever and it feels very loose... this has never happened before... is there anythiing i can do to lock my car..

·
Registered
517 Posts
jflo said:
when i put my key in my door lock it doesnt unlock or lock my car.. when I turn me key there is no tension what so ever and it feels very loose... this has never happened before... is there anythiing i can do to lock my car..
Yes - repair the lock

If it feels that loose it sounds like the rod has become disconnected. This repair should take less than an hour and all details needed will be in RAVE or using the link previously given to help.

If that is too big a job for you, you will need to take to your local indy to have it fixed. It would also be sensible to sort the remote locking - may just need some new batteries and re-synching.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I take my door panel off and unbolt the inside of the door and hook the rod back together? And also the battery within my key.. i just replace it? and what do you mean synch it? Do i have to take it to the dealer to do that?

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
May also try posting your location so we may further help you...
Kind of like helping yourself so others can do the same :thumb:
I know Scotty has a load of lock parts, but not a clue where you are so I don't know.....
Martin

Mind, using the search function will probably answer your next 10 questions too.....(Beat ye to it Mag!)

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,421 Posts

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Well in that case you have some very informed and helpful neighbors!
Shoot "Scotty" a PM and talk parts to him.
I will be in San Jose next week too....
Martin

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
may just need some new batteries and re-synching. how do I synch the key,...if i buy a new battery?

·
Registered
517 Posts
You really,really need to fix the lock.

By all means see if replacing the batteries will allow the remote to work. As to re-synching there is lots of information already on the site - There is even a convenient search feature at the top of the page (right hand side) which will help you find it.

BUT, and this is a big BUT

If you do not fix the ability to lock and unlock the car using the key in the door and rely solely on the remote, if anything happens to the remote you will be left with a locked vehicle that will require some other (possibly more extreme) method of entry. You could also end up with an alarmed BeCM and no way of entering EKA code to unlock it. :naughty:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts