Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out to Jess today for a drive and my remote

didnt work???So i unlocked the door with key and turned on the ignition to see a dreaded message on the lcd screen.........

"KEY CODE LOCKOUT". So rang landrover to get my emergency key access code and tried to enter it..........15 tries later and so far nothing, except for the realisation that i didnt notice the central locking was not working while turning the key and without it working the becm would not realise that i was entering a code. So now had to get a second hand drivers door lock actuator for £40 with next day delivery and hope it allows me to enter the code or i will have to buy a brand new one for £175+vat!!!

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,227 Posts
First thing... did you wait the prescribed time before trying to enter the EKA?

It can't be entered whilst "KEY CODE LOCKOUT" is showing on the dash... you have to wait (30mins IIRC) for the message to disappear, then you can enter EKA...

Also, every wrong attempt of EKA will bring the message back, and another waiting period before you can try again.

When it happened to me, I don't recall the central locking working on every door whilst entering the EKA either but I wasn't paying much attention to be honest - I was more worried about what would happen if it didn't work!!

If you've tried all that, then yeah, new door latch as the micro switches are probably failing.

Oh, also, some vehicles you need to turn the key 4 times in the door lock counter-clockwise, to tell the BeCM that you want to put the EKA in, once again - not sure if you tried that. (I know my UK spec one responded to that sequence)

Cheers,
Marty

G

·
Yes, welcome to the 'wild & whacky' world of P38 Locks and lockouts.....and usually when you least expect/need it....

I expect you have read the notes about this 'experience' on the main site; Probably 'just' the link between the lock/handle or the microswitch within the lock mech. (?); Fiddly but fixable with patience (like most P38 problems):

http://www.rangerovers.net/repairdetails/doors/latchreplace.html

Wait until you maybe have to do this....

http://www.rangerovers.net/repairdetails/doors/doorlocks.html

... all thanks to a 5p small spring problem inside that £175 lock... !

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
it help's others here if you put your model details in your signature otherwise those trying to help have to write long winded 'catch all' responses, other than that did you see (count) the park light flash's (on the instrument cluster) and the indicators lights would flash too on each key turn, if you didn't see either of those then yes the lock maybe the issue. Keycode lockout doesn't automatically mean a lock issue (it might do)

G

·
Fair request Larry - but probably a bit of a clue that the central locking is not working on the other doors although he managed to get into the car....(?)

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,227 Posts
I couldn't see the park light indicator flash on mine (though at the time, the extra window tinting was on the front windows... it's not now) and the indicators didn't flash on key turns either... I think that there are selectable options in the BeCM as to what flashes when etc...

G

·
iirc the others doors won't follow the driver's door lock in this situation anyway.
Yes, that's what I - and he - said...... driver's door lock opens with key, the others stay locked. Anyway, it is all academic... it sounds like reb8ldog knows just what he is doing, and at least he has our sympathy !!

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
i guess i missed something, either way if it's as the op says as far as i can see both the remote and the latch have failed at the exactly the same time...unlikely.

G

·
-or maybe you just missed out on this particular lockout 'experience', Larry !?

Chances are the 'Keycode Lockout' was due to the 'famous' bad design on the receiver [plus stray RF]**.... and the relevant key/microswitch/link was already broken, hence the EKA process did not work (?)..... If the OP had only ever previously used the fob he would not necessarily know this (?)

**Re8eldog, if you are unfamiliar with this RF design issue then check out the 'Battery Drain, Mysterious or Unexplained' part of this:-

http://www.rangerovers.net/newrremedies.html#alarm

G

·
No, Larry... the 'C.D.L.' microswitch in the lock does not provide the EKA inputs to the BECM etc - the 'KEY' microswitch also does this ....... OK ?

Rather than indulge in (even) more meaningless/negative speculation how about we let the OP reply when he fixes it ??!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, so what does iirc mean??

Got a second hand door lock actuator and installed it today only to find that the problem persists.

If i use the key to lock the door the central locking works and the lights flash.
If i use the key to unlock the door it unlocks but the central locking does not work and the lights do not flash.
So still cannot enter the EKA and still not able to start the car.

The car would lock and unlock with central locking using the key untill this happened.

I have no idea where to go from here

Please help..........!!

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,227 Posts
iirc - If I Recall Correctly

There are a few things I can think of...

1) the second hand door lock has the same problem as your original. If central locking works to lock, but not unlock, then could be that microswitch in the lock actuator is faulty on both units.
2) there's a wiring issue in the door - have you checked all the wires for any chafing, or damage - I've read before that one of the wires can get caught by the window mechanism.
3) you've done the EKA procedure incorrectly, and it's not having it

What model/year RR do you have? Put it in your profile signature, as it will help troubleshoot... there are a few different theories about EKA procedure depending on model year, and the likes.

I was going to type out the procedure I had to follow, but figured it was just as easy to pdf the relevant RAVE pages and attach for you :)

MAKE SURE THE DASH IS NOT SHOWING KEY CODE LOCKOUT WHEN YOU START THE PROCEDURE OR IT WILL NOT WORK!!!!

Once the KEY CODE LOCKOUT message has disappeared, then follow the instructions in the PDF below/owners manual.

View attachment EKA.pdf

If the EKA is input wrong, or you stuff it up, then you have to go back to step one.

If you get it wrong 3 times, then a 30 minute timeout period is enforced - the KEY CODE LOCKOUT comes back - and you have to wait for the message to go away before you can start process again.

When turning the key in the lock, make sure it ALWAYS goes to the end of the travel - try and take calm and slow movements - don't rush it!!

Also, whilst you're waiting for the lockout message to go away, maybe have a search on here for writeups on people who have taken the actuator apart and fixed/replaced the micro switches... maybe you can get your old one apart and see if there is any visible problems in it?

Hope this helps,
Marty

G

·
Ok, Reb8ldog, as already asked, did you only replace the actuator motor, or the whole lock ?..... as there are three microswitches in total within the lock, and two play a part in this EKA-input process.

ie. For EKA to work correctly as you move the key from clockwise to anti-clockwise the central locking also has to lock/unlock in unison or the BECM does 'not get the message'..... and it sounds like it (centrally) locks OK but does not unlock.... ?

In addition to the microswitches are the links up to the handle all in place, too ? (Torch/mirror/patience recommended !).

Also sending you some info. on electrical checks you can perform on the locks/switches......

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
its all fixed.......whoo hoo

My fault as i was trying to enter the EKA while it was showing lockout on the dash, didnt realise it had to be clear before i could enter it. thanks Marty_nz.
Every time i actually opened the drivers door the lockout would come on so i entered it without opening the door first (and activating the alarm) and it went in first time.

Thank to you all for the help

G

·
Great stuff.... and a great idea for Marty to post the EKA routine up, too, as it is not so obvious/intuative; It should really say "KEY CODE LOCKOUT (come back in 30 mins)"... probably. Assuming now you used a whole 'new; lock... And, off (this) topic ... did you actually sort your gearbox/solenoids out ...?! Answer/s on the other thread .... Cheers !

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,227 Posts
No worries - I had the same issue, and tried it whilst it was in lockout - freaked out, then researched it and found you had to wait for lockout to go away :)

Glad it's all sorted!!

Marty

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yes mate, the gearbox solenoids had both gone out of limits so £300 to replace them and its worked perfect ever since

all i have to do now is paint some bulbs red and replace the green lcd screen diffusers with clear ones made from plastic and frosted window vinyl
then start the carbon fibre wrapping of bits and pieces and the lower boot door.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts