RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had 48k miles on the '06 and when the dealer told me my trade-in would drop $10k when i hit 50k miles I knee jerked and swapped it. Went from Black/Ivory to Black/Tan.

I'm only at 300 miles so still babying it, but here are some early impressions:

Better:

1) Still running in gently (under 3000 rpm), but pick-up is effortless and laugh-out-loud fast. Most noticeable is that with the same kind of throttle inputs I’m used to using with the 06 it doesn’t kickdown when you accelerate at freeway speeds, there just so much torque it doesn’t need to. 50-100mph acceleration in 5th/6th in the ’10 is comparable to 2 gears lower in the ‘06. When the ’10 does kick down your ears bleed.
2) Deeper exhaust note. Not like the 06 with the #7 resonator removed or a Borla, etc., but somewhere between that and 06 stock. I may not bother changing it this time. Very quiet inside, and much less supercharger whine.
3) Nav – shows no-entry signs for one-way streets, which is very helpful for me having just moved to San Francisco. Blue flashing Disco arrow not as annoying as I expected.
4) Whole vehicle feels tighter, which I didn’t expect as I thought the 06 was rock solid until the comparison.
5) Road noise is lower, and there’s less wind noise around A-Pillar/door mirrors, overall much more limousine-like ride than before.
6) Interior is fabulous. Tan with “Extended Leather Pack” leather on dashboard and door sills. Almost all surfaces are soft touch. Massive improvement overall, leather quality up 3 or 4 notches. Much better styling and padding of seats.
Drivers seat side bolster support.
7) Memory buttons are on the door – i.e. you can actually reach them – and now controls electric steering column too.
8. Bluetooth improved, with phonebook and touchscreen dialing from central display.
9) Ipod connector is plug and play under the central armrest, playlists and selection by central touchscreen display. There’s also a USB connector.
10) Huge front disks, 15 in.
11) Killer rims, although that may be a matter of opinion. “Style 07” option.
12) Michelin instead of Conti’s. Look like they have much more wet/snow grip.
13) Front & Rear LED’s look great. Christmas tree lights decoration effect at the front when you switch off the lights which I like, although but not everyone will.
14) Keyless entry
15) Auto-folding mirrors.
16) Steering wheel controls much improved, horn still in same unintuitive location. I can never find it when I need to.
17) Paddle shifters; turn with the wheel.

Not better:

1) CD player is now just 1 disc, and it goes in at an odd angle (insert disc horizontally into dash which is at 45 degree angle. Feels more odd than it sounds)
2) HiFi a step down in quality. 480W, still only bass/treble/SW adjustments (no equalizer) and it sounds like it was tuned for mp3 – which it no doubt was. I don’t like this at all. CD quality is fundamentally way better than mp3 and I still buy CD’s when the type of music warrants it. Having just 1 CD slot and lower sound quality is not progress in my opinion, even if the iPod connector is now better.
3) Instrument panel – shades of grey on grey; an old B&W movie motif. Instant mpg is nice, if a little scary.
4) A/C a) still only adjusts in 2 degree (F) increments. This carries over a personal pet peev from the old car.
b) Gentlest setting still blows too hard (imho), so it’s still impossible to get unobtrusive airflow.
5) Paint: Santorini Black, does indeed have some purple/blue flecks in it which can give it the look of a tacky Vegas hotel carpet in bright sunshine, although it’s not too bad. My Starlight Black Lotus Elise has gold flecks in it, and that’s much cooler.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Nice list. Whilst very happy with the truck I want to add the following electronic niggles.

1. IPOD doesn't charge from what is a monster sized proprietary cable .
2. Nav screen doesn't have a night mode and is just far too bright not to.

I do find myself constantly amazed by the autodimming highbeam feature. Very cool.

Coincidentally I owned an Ardent Red 2008 Elise SC which is as raw as the Rover is comparitively refined !

·
Registered
93 Posts
I was surprised to find the voice control now limited to only phone and nav. No more voice control of audio functions. And since they removed so many of the handy buttons, you are relegated to using the on-screen soft buttons for things like station presets. So that means if your nav is up and you want to switch a station, you have to first get out of nav and go to the radio screen, then select the preset, then go back to nav... quite a hassle when trying to concentrate on the road. I believe BMW's universal shortcut buttons are absolutely brilliant... 1 button press to call wife, another to navigate home, another for sat radio preset, etc.

Also, I tried to get 3 different USB devices with MP3s, but it wouldn't recognize any of them (BMW X5 recognized all 3). I tried 3 different rovers, as well. Anybody get this feature to work yet?

It seems that most vehicles with dual zone climate control have a button that synchs the two temps so that you only have to turn one knob to adjust the temp. I find this to be the common case, since I'm usually alone. Do you really have to turn both knobs in the rover every time you want to adjust the temp, or am I missing something?

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
JeffW said:
It seems that most vehicles with dual zone climate control have a button that synchs the two temps so that you only have to turn one knob to adjust the temp. I find this to be the common case, since I'm usually alone. Do you really have to turn both knobs in the rover every time you want to adjust the temp, or am I missing something?
Not sure on 2010s, but on 2006-2009s you definitely need to adjust both knobs independently if you want to equally raise or lower the temperature in the car. I never touch those dials, though. I leave them on 70/72 year round and they do their thing just fine... Only when my wife gets in the car she screws it up by raising her side to Dante's Inferno.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just checked my iPod and phone and they both charge, even when the ignition is off.

I agree that they have gone too far in eliminating buttons. There are certainly fewer of them, but you now have to do more work on the touchscreen to switch between applications. I’ve seen worse, however.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
iPhone 3G and 3GS (and the latest gen iPod Touch and Nano) don't charge through the MY2010 port, it's a documented issue. You need a $20 adapter.

LM - New Range Rover
LS - Range Rover Sport
LA - Discovery 4
Title 10MY Land Rover Latest Apple Products not charging
Last Modified 27-JUL-2009 08:14
Category Electrical
Symptom 207000 Entertainment Systems
Content

Issue:
The latest generation iPhone, iPod Touch and iPod Nano do not charge when used with the Portable Audio Interface ( integrated iPod vehicle adapter).

Cause:
Apple have changed the power supply strategy on their latest models. The products affected are as follows:
iPhone 3G
iPhone 3G S
iPod Touch 2nd Generation
iPod Nano 4th Generation

Action:
Should a customer state that their Apple products (listed above) do not charge from the vehicle power supply, direct the customer to purchase a Scosche passPORT Car Charging Adapter. This can be obtained from various retailers or the Apple store by copy and pasting either of the links below into a web browser:
- US Store http://store.apple.com/us/product/TS696 ... MjIwMTg2NQ

NOTE - This change has been instigated by Apple on their products and payment for the adapter is the customer's responsibility.

Land Rover engineering are currently working on a solution, this will be the subject of a further communication.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,456 Posts
Another step backwards...hard to believe they don't test these things in the factory and fix them there for $20 bucks.

Even with the original Audio Connectivity Module, my Iphone charges just fine...

·
Registered
522 Posts
You mean if you keep your iPod plugged in, it will continue to charge even after you turn off your car, thus draining the batter? That's not right.

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
umbertob said:
I never touch those dials, though. I leave them on 70/72 year round and they do their thing just fine... Only when my wife gets in the car she screws it up by raising her side to Dante's Inferno.
One of my disappointments of the temp controls. As they are a mechanical style (not electronic) they are stuck where you leave them. In other vehicles that have electronic controls, they will self adjust to the user's key/lazy entry. Wifey problem solved. :D Hopefully that is updated in the new ones.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I actually like the rotary temperature controls. They are quick and easy to adjust.

Are not the following possible if the software were improved?

- The ability to link both passenger and driver temperature changes.
- The ability to do odd number Centigrade
-The ability to link to whatever remote control is used ( allowing for his and her memory presets)

As a new user , I find myself continually bemused by a product that is just absolutely unmatched in brilliance in many aspects yet can be so crazily flawed in others. It's not even big items that are the issue here and we all know the devil is in the details.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,456 Posts
I don't recall the part #, but it's the ACM with the cradle.

Here are a couple of night time shots to give you an idea of how it's mounted:

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have the same CB radio in my P38.

How did you mount your antena for the CB?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,456 Posts
hi Mark,

Cool!

The CB box itself is mounted behind the glove box, I tapped into a fuse there which turns on with the ignition, and then the antenna cable runs from inside the glove box underneath the carpet channels next to the doors to the back of vehicle (all tucked in and hidden) and then out the rear gate at the bottom, then up the channel of the rear gate and connected to the magnetic rubber mount which sits just behind the satellite antenna on the roof. When I'm not on LR club expeditions, I just unscrew the antenna, and leave the magnetic base there.

So far the CB has been great...

:D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts