Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just replaced my rear pad. Is it ok for shocks to fully extend to its limit?

Hi guys ~

Just came back from replacing both of my rear pads. As I was jacking up the car , I noticed shocks had noticebly large amount of damping. I could not take my tires off with hydrolic jack.

It just didnt have the reach.

In the end I used oem emergency jack located in the trunk . This jack seemed to have more lift.

Indeed, as I managed to lift a one wheel , I could see the air shock was fully extended. This amount of streach was needed inorder to lift the wheel in the air .

After doing both sides ~ I turned the car on to see everything wasa ok ... Car would rasie and lower it self as I select it from the controll nob.

Should I be worrying ? Or am I just being dumb. Afterall range rover is fully off road capable...

By the way my caliper bolts came off nicely.

·
Registered
2010 SC 5.0 Range Rover MkIII / L322
2,013 Posts
Re: Just replaced my rear pad. Is it ok for shocks to fully extend to its limit?

it sounds like everything is in order ,
the rear shocks are long travel so the truck has to be lifted quite a ways to get the tires into the air. ( if being jacked up from the frame or jack pads)

As a suggestion put the jack under the rear lower control arm with the truck in normal height mode,
this leave the LCA at a flat angle and the jack will only have to lift a few inches for the tire to be removed

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Just replaced my rear pad. Is it ok for shocks to fully extend to its limit?

it sounds like everything is in order ,
the rear shocks are long travel so the truck has to be lifted quite a ways to get the tires into the air. ( if being jacked up from the frame or jack pads)

As a suggestion put the jack under the rear lower control arm with the truck in normal height mode,
this leave the LCA at a flat angle and the jack will only have to lift a few inches for the tire to be removed
Hey !! Thank you so much for letting me know !! Now I can use my $50 haydrolic jack !! ^^ when you say controll arm , obviously low controll arm right ?

Or is it trailing arm ??

And when you do jack it up using controll arm do I need to put a 2 by 4 wood or some thing ?? Jack head is very pointy and I dont want to scratch any parts ~~

·
Registered
2010 SC 5.0 Range Rover MkIII / L322
2,013 Posts

if you look under the rear of the truck you will see the lower control arms they are big parts of the suspension,
with the truck in the normal height these arms will offer a pretty flat area to jack up on,

yes by all means use a piece of wood or a hockey puck ,
make sure your on a flat piece of area,
be careful with jacking on the center of the lower airbag mount so you dont crack it.
Always use a jack stand under the jack pad on the side rails of the truck

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

if you look under the rear of the truck you will see the lower control arms they are big parts of the suspension,
with the truck in the normal height these arms will offer a pretty flat area to jack up on,

yes by all means use a piece of wood or a hockey puck ,
make sure your on a flat piece of area,
be careful with jacking on the center of the lower airbag mount so you dont crack it.
Always use a jack stand under the jack pad on the side rails of the truck
Thank you !!! But just a quick question ~ when you say lower arm ~ do you mean airbag mount??? I dont think its sturdy enough to jack the car . I thought lowerarm would be located away from
the airbag ~~ No???

1 - 5 of 5 Posts