Range Rovers Forum banner

Just purchased '16 Td6 couple ?s: Infotainment/Trailer harness/brake controller/winch?

919 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  lr3guyjoe 
#1 ·
Hello all, I just purchased a 2016 Td6 should have it in a week or so. Its replacing my tired but trusty 2005 LR3 that just ticked over 250k. I was pretty active on disco3 and did quite a bit with the LR3. After a bit of poking around this seems to be one of the more active RR forums. Took me a while to find what I wanted, wanted a Diesel with adaptive cruise control with black interior. Adaptive cruise seems to pretty rare, really wanted to get an 2017 for the infotainment upgrade but after 8 months of looking came across a 2016 Black on black that checked the boxes and was a pretty good deal price wise so pulled the trigger.

Hopefully you guys can help me out with a few questions. I figured I'd pile them all into one.

- I know the infotainment is one of the biggest draw backs on the 13-16 range. I've read about a few upgrades on here but some of the threads are pretty old. Is there any final verdict on the best upgrade (for use with iphone)?

- I'm not sure if the one I got comes prewired for a trailer. It spent its previous life as a one owner lease in CA so I'm guessing not. I used an online service for the purchase and they couldn't tell me. I'm looking for the 7pin/flat four pin combo, is there any chance my LR3 one will wire connector wise? I know the mounting probably wont. I also have a brake controller on the LR3 any chance that will work as well? If no to either any recommendations on where to get one?

- Lastly and this is just a wild curiosity as I will not likely wheel the RR like I did the LR3, the most it might see is some dune driving. Has anyone installed a hidden winch? I installed on on my LR3 and will probably remove it before I sell it. It was actually pretty useful for pulling the random stuck motorist out of a ditch, stuck trucks on boat ramp and other random things like yard work.

Thanks for any input. -Joe

See less See more
#2 ·
2016 TD6 owner here (also with adaptive cruise, which is awesome) so I'll chime in:

- I know the infotainment is one of the biggest draw backs... Is there any final verdict on the best upgrade (for use with iphone)?
There is a thread here about an Android upgrade unit, but I rarely use the infotainment system for entertainment. I have a nice RAM holder for my phone and just use that for pretty much everything while sending the audio through the factory speakers with Bluetooth. I'm an Android user myself.

- I'm not sure if the one I got comes prewired for a trailer
Go here and sign up for an account. You can view the options list of your vehicle for free: https://topix.landrover.jlrext.com/topix/vehicle/lookupForm

"Pre-wired" is a bit of a misnomer. All of them should have the ability to add wires, resistors, etc for the factory tow kit. I added it to my L322 and it was pretty easy to just plug things in. Vehicles without the hitch from the factory probably won't have the harness wires or receiver. Give a call to the RoverParts.com guys I'm sure they can give an answer.

- Has anyone installed a hidden winch?
I don't think there is one. There just isn't a market for it quite yet. I vaguely remember asking the Lucky 8's guys about it months ago.

#3 ·
2016 TD6 owner here (also with adaptive cruise, which is awesome) so I'll chime in:

There is a thread here about an Android upgrade unit, but I rarely use the infotainment system for entertainment. I have a nice RAM holder for my phone and just use that for pretty much everything while sending the audio through the factory speakers with Bluetooth. I'm an Android user myself.

Go here and sign up for an account. You can view the options list of your vehicle for free: https://topix.landrover.jlrext.com/topix/vehicle/lookupForm

"Pre-wired" is a bit of a misnomer. All of them should have the ability to add wires, resistors, etc for the factory tow kit. I added it to my L322 and it was pretty easy to just plug things in. Vehicles without the hitch from the factory probably won't have the harness wires or receiver. Give a call to the RoverParts.com guys I'm sure they can give an answer.

I don't think there is one. There just isn't a market for it quite yet. I vaguely remember asking the Lucky 8's guys about it months ago.
Thanks for all of that info. The link was super helpful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.