RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love this beautiful Range!! While test driving it, two gorgeous girls on the highway flashed me, so I knew I had to buy it :D It is Wimbledon Green on Cream with the piped seats. Aside from the typical O ring issue, what else could be causing me to lose some coolant? Do the 2001s also have the head gasket issues, and would that cause oil/coolant leaks?

Any tips on where I can find some rear seat folding tables for the P38s?

Thanks

·
Registered
74 Posts
Congratulations on the new RIDE and welcome to the forum.

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
Coolant can only go three places. External leak, internal to oil or internal to combustion chamber.

I think Scotty has a new set of tray tables in your colour right now.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I hope to make my 30th Ann P38 the best one on the board !

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Whats the deal with the supposed "head gasket" issues?
The past 3 guys that have asked me for a pair of cylinder heads, turned out to be totally non related to the HG's. But with people somehow thinking that all these p38's have weak HG's, they ASSume that is always the issue:-?
Like with ANY other motor with aluminum heads etc, dont cook it, and it will be fine. Hell I got asked tonight to quote to repair the HG's on a 1980's Ford with iron heads due to the owner overheating it, so it's hardly a RR thing IMO.
Very nice rig though:thumb:

Martin

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
It's like the poor gits that are scared of GEMS P38s because they have heard from someone that they have more issues. Of course there are the masses of uneducated people that think coils are a necessary upgrade. It all boils down to research and not buying into the misinformation out there.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I love my GEMS rover... So simple! The Bosch ones are just too complicated IMO, all sorts of extra junk that complicates things. The Bosch rovers seem to have more HG, coolant loss, and block problems than the Gems. As sad above, don't overheat them and you won't have a problem (This is true with Bosch rovers too). Don't know about the Bosch RRs but Disco IIs run at 201F as their operating temp! The stupid temp gauge doesn't move till 240F, once you hit that temp the engine is toast... The thermostat and gauge caused the issues with the Discos and is the reason they had so many problems (IMO of course ;) ). I have not worked on a Bosch RR, but I'm sure they are not much different, an OBD scanner or infrared gun will tell for sure.

I will be adding an aftermarket t-stat to my Disco II that will keep it at 180 to 195F, and will install a temp monitor that beeps when things get over 201F.

Sorry for the rant, congrats on your purchase! Check the engine temps, if she is not overheating, don't worry about the head gaskets. Just keep her cool, and she'll do fine.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Losing coolant - on both mine it was caused by a dodgy thermostat body (plastic) and possibly the hoses connected to it.

Replace yours NOW, and also check the expansion tank and cap. Other possibilities include worn water pump and leaky radiator.

Mine now use NO coolant despite 300 kms per day flat out ....

DON'T LET IT OVERHEAT!!!!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wow thanks guys. The temp gauge is safely in the middle, I just do not want to go to low on coolant even in the winter here..

Hope I get some tray tables soon, I might have to convert my light burr maple interior wood to the dark walnut.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Congratulations! I have the same one, 30th Anniversary, but not in such a good condition as yours (as I can see on the photos). I changed Nissan Primera State Wagon 2002 for him about a month ago, so we are still in the process of getting know each other. I'll have to do some thinks on him (as you can see, I refer to my car as a being, because he really have his own life! :) ), but I have no enough free time to do this. But, step-by-step, I'll make him a more than excellent car, because he deserve it! Hopefully, yours 30th will serve you long and in satisfactory manner! All the best!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My girl has officially named her "Betty" because she is a hot betty just like herself hehe.. and she loves to drive Betty

So I need to fix a leaking water pump, and a timing belt cover has a small leak. Otherwise just the bumper fix and I am good to [email protected]!!!!

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
So I need to fix a leaking water pump, and a timing belt cover has a small leak. Otherwise just the bumper fix and I am good to [email protected]!!!!
Leaking out the weep hole?
Where is the timing cover leaking at? Normally the pressure relief valve o rings. I have the o rings if you need the metric SOB's:p
Cost of an envelope and stamp, and they are on the way to NH if needed(I buy them in bulk):thumb:

Martin

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok great Martin! PM me your paypal and an amount, the more parts I have the better!

I also need rear pads and rotors, anyone have a cheap link? Thx

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
I just get the pads and rotors from NAPA. They seem to be lasting great on both counts.
PM me your full name and address and I will mail a few o rings your way. Think I just got a new batch in the shop.

Martin

·
Registered
50 Posts
Mine was consuming a lot of coolant as well. It had overheated once but I thought I was lucky and everything was ok, since it ran fine I used it as my daily driver for a bit over two months. But in those two months I have to top off the coolant too frequently for my taste so I took it to a land rover dealer and they couldn't find where the leak was coming from (took them a week to tell me that) Then I took it to a Land Rover independent shop and ended up being a slipped sleeve. So I had to bite the bullet and get and engine swap. Hopefully this is not your case.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Check the top of the motor where the two coolant hoses go into the throttle body. there is a gasket kit the dealer sells for $35 that sometimes goes bad; i had to fix mine. The heater o-rings are the obvious one. Regardless of what you read, make sure to "burp" it or you will have a pressure buildup and...well, talk to us about leaks then. To burp it, once you refill the coolant, take off the largest hose going into the left side of the radiator and pour coolant down there until it comes out of the radiator on the other end. Be VERY careful not to mess up the nipple on the radiator because it breaks too easily.

Ask me how I know:naughty:...

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Been just over a month or so, have driven close to 2,000 miles and I just took care of the water pump leak :)

·
Registered
422 Posts
Your truck makes me rethink my decision to tint the windows. Yours just looks so much more classy with the fishbowl windows

1 - 20 of 43 Posts