RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of years ago,i had to have the props on my Discovery rebuilt.
I put the truck in diff lock and drove around for a few days with just the rear propshaft connected.
The next week i drove around with just the front connected.

What would happen with my Rangie? would traction control still allow me to drive with a prop disconnected?
Just interested to know.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I'm no expert but as I understand it not a good idea.

On the Disco you manually lock the center Diff wheras the RR has the viscous coupling which would be prone to overheating worked that hard.

Interesting timing though - I started getting what sounds like tyre scrub today but the coupling seems OK. I jack up a front wheel and it turns slowly by hand, I turned hard into the garage and jacked up a corner, if the transmission was would up should that wheel not then spin back?

Anybidy any other ideas?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey Dave,
i would have thought the coupling would work just as hard driving two props as only driving one?
i can understand it may cause long term damage,but was wondering if it could be done as a get home fix.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Yes, it would work as a get-me-home fix. I've done it with my Classic.

The traction control doesn't come into it, as all the wheels will still be turning normally. I wouldn't suggest doing this long term, there's a chance you could damage the viscous coupling.

·
Registered
483 Posts
If I get it right then with two props there is little or no difference in speed across the coupling but remove one and the speeds will be differnet on the flanges.

That said have a look at the post I am about to write.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts