Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the impending winter from hell on its way, I finally decided to get a 4x4 to compliment my 740iL daily driver. 175k miles, but the engine and transmission were rebuilt 40k miles ago. The PO also had every single gasket on the engine replaced this year when it was removed to replace the rear main seal. So mechanically, it is rock solid with about 40k on the air suspension as well. Cosmetically, it needs some attention as the front right corner of the bumper is all scratched up, and there are several scratches that could be addressed. Overall, though, I think I got a good deal at less than 5k.

I look forward to being a part of the community here as I will be maintaining her myself.

·
Registered
152 Posts
What year? And when you say engine rebuild what do you mean exactly?...just curios.

Mine served me well for 9 yeas without any problems and due to years of my neglect it came to ahead this year...but I'll have her back to dealer quality shortly.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
169 Posts
Post some pictures! I'm also a BMW guy, with my 2000 540i Touring being my other car. I just rebuilt the engine in my Range Rover which I got for $3k. Since you spent less than $5k, I'm guessing it's a BMW-engined L322? If so, maintenance will be a breeze since it's more or less the same mechanicals as the 740il.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its an 03 with the M62tu in Adriatic Blue over Ivory.

Danny, I was inspired by your experience to do it as I had heard the "horror" stories similar to our BMW "horror" stories that made me wait a long time to do it. I will get some pictures tomorrow. If you recall on Bimmerforums, I started a thread about this and someone posted the add from Grand Rapids for this one. I ended up buying it sight unseen, and I took the 35 minute flight up there to pick it up. I was a bit disappointed in the exterior as a few things should have stood out in the pictures, but I can't be sure if he photoshopped them at this point since the ad is gone. He seemed like a stand-up guy though. So I just assumed I missed the blemishes. Usually, I would go with the nice exterior and assume I have to do some mechanical work. This time it is the other way around. Overall, its mechanically sound so I should be good. It's getting tires tomorrow along with an alignment.

Here are the issues I have to address:

1. SES light came on with a P0021 code. Since he has driven the truck for 40k since the rebuild, I am assuming it is not due to the timing being off. I'm going to swap around some Camshaft position sensors to see if one is bad.
2. All three tail lights are missing the lenses. I'm going to swap out the third light and hope I run into some inexpensive tails eventually.
3. The headliner is loose, but its unnoticeable. I will get around to it one day.
4. The front right corner of the bumper is all scratched up. I have to get that sanded and repainted or else my head will explode.
5. The driver's door interior handle is scrunched up like every single one I looked at. I'll have to source a door card for that.
6. The DVD headrests and CD changer aren't working so I have to figure those out.
7. There's a tiny bit of rust starting on the rear hatch so I have to address that as well.
8. The right side of the hood is not latching completely so I have to fix that.

I think that's about it. I'm banking on not having to do any mechanical work so I can address these issues. Once I'm done it should be pretty sweet! I will post pictures tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
You didn't happen to buy it from around Milwaukee, did you? I just looked at one a couple of days ago there in blue with ivory..

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
yeah saw that, tried deleting my previous reply but it didn't work for some reason :lol:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Its an 03 with the M62tu in Adriatic Blue over Ivory.

Danny, I was inspired by your experience to do it as I had heard the "horror" stories similar to our BMW "horror" stories that made me wait a long time to do it. I will get some pictures tomorrow. If you recall on Bimmerforums, I started a thread about this and someone posted the add from Grand Rapids for this one. I ended up buying it sight unseen, and I took the 35 minute flight up there to pick it up. I was a bit disappointed in the exterior as a few things should have stood out in the pictures, but I can't be sure if he photoshopped them at this point since the ad is gone. He seemed like a stand-up guy though. So I just assumed I missed the blemishes. Usually, I would go with the nice exterior and assume I have to do some mechanical work. This time it is the other way around. Overall, its mechanically sound so I should be good. It's getting tires tomorrow along with an alignment.

Here are the issues I have to address:

1. SES light came on with a P0021 code. Since he has driven the truck for 40k since the rebuild, I am assuming it is not due to the timing being off. I'm going to swap around some Camshaft position sensors to see if one is bad.
2. All three tail lights are missing the lenses. I'm going to swap out the third light and hope I run into some inexpensive tails eventually.
3. The headliner is loose, but its unnoticeable. I will get around to it one day.
4. The front right corner of the bumper is all scratched up. I have to get that sanded and repainted or else my head will explode.
5. The driver's door interior handle is scrunched up like every single one I looked at. I'll have to source a door card for that.
6. The DVD headrests and CD changer aren't working so I have to figure those out.
7. There's a tiny bit of rust starting on the rear hatch so I have to address that as well.
8. The right side of the hood is not latching completely so I have to fix that.

I think that's about it. I'm banking on not having to do any mechanical work so I can address these issues. Once I'm done it should be pretty sweet! I will post pictures tomorrow.
Oh, hello from Bimmer Forums then! Glad to see you scooped up a Rangie for a good price! Honestly the BMW Range Rovers are my favorite, I prefer their designs and mechanically they make a lot more sense. Sure they have their common issues, but they're extremely well-documented and quite easy to fix. I trust BMW engineering a lot more than I trust Ford/Jaguar engineering haha.

I doubt the seller photoshopped the pictures, as most people don't have the technical proficiency to photoshop an image in a convincing manner. It's far more likely that the pictures were low-resolution, combined with less than ideal lighting (sums up most pictures on CL). You have to remember that most people aren't busting out a DSLR and Lightroom for Craigslist photos.

Now regarding your issues:

1. The P0021 code can certainly be caused by a bad cam sensor, but more than likely whoever did his engine rebuild didn't set the cam timing wheels correctly. The M62tu is weird in that it can have perfect camshaft timing (aka the important timing) and a slightly off camshaft timing wheel which will throw codes. I had to adjust my cam timing wheel clockwise like 5º to correct an intermittent P0021 code. The seller might have known about this code and just cleared the codes before you came to look at the car.
2. If you plan to change the taillights, spring for the 2006+ taillights where the turn signals are clear. They're plug and play and make the rear of the Range Rover look much more modern. Combine that with clear side markers and you'll have a sweet-looking ride.
3. You can always use thumbtacks in the meantime if it's really bad. Fixing the headliner shouldn't be too hard of a job, you have plenty of room to maneuver it around.
4. Might as well repaint the whole bumper since they generally see a lot of abuse.
5. Repairing the door handle might be a better bet, since the messed up driver's door handle is something that I see on virtually every Range Rover. There's no guarantee that a used door card will be any better. Though you could get craft and source a passenger side one from the UK and make it work.
6. The DVD head rests aren't working in my Range Rover either. I can't remember the last time I saw them functioning in any Range Rover, to be honest.
7. You might just be better off ordering a replacement hatch in a matching color from a southern car.
8. You should definitely fix this first before your hood either flies open or gets stuck closed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for that. I'm glad it all sounds doable, but I wasn't too scared due to all the mechanical work completed. There Re 2 other issues I forgot to mention.

10. The steering wheel doesn't move. I've seen a lot about issues with the tilt function, but mine doesn't move at all. Is this a fuse issue or is the motor shot?

11. The Air Susp. Inactive message has come on twice. PO said he just had a sensor replaced. I'm assuming there are sensors at all 4 corners? Maybe another one needs replacement?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Thanks for that. I'm glad it all sounds doable, but I wasn't too scared due to all the mechanical work completed. There Re 2 other issues I forgot to mention.

10. The steering wheel doesn't move. I've seen a lot about issues with the tilt function, but mine doesn't move at all. Is this a fuse issue or is the motor shot?

11. The Air Susp. Inactive message has come on twice. PO said he just had a sensor replaced. I'm assuming there are sensors at all 4 corners? Maybe another one needs replacement?
The steering wheel could either be a fuse issue or a motor issue. Check the fuses first and then troubleshoot the motor if the fuses are fine. If your wheel doesn't move at all, I'm inclined to say that it's a fuse, because it's pretty uncommon for both motors to fail completely.

There are sensors at all 4 corners, you are correct about that. Have you been able to raise/lower the suspension before? I'd check the compressor and see if it's working properly. Does your Range Rover sag or sit unevenly?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's sitting fine. It was working fine when I picked it up, and then it wasn't working for a few hours. I was a led to lower and raise it last Sunday, and it wasn't working again yesterday when I started it up.

I will check the fuses later. The tires are getting mounted at the moment.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
You have to remember that most people aren't busting out a DSLR and Lightroom for Craigslist photos.
heh... heh :neutral:

Yep, that would be me :lol:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The fuses all look good for the steering wheel so that will take more investigation, and a funny thing happened today with the air suspension. I pressed the button on the turn signal stalk to scroll through the computer and the inactive message went away and the system came back on. Thank god, because I had the tires replaced yesterday, and it was sitting really high like I had adjusted the suspension up. It wasn't going to fit in the garage that way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.