RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I just spent the better part of my evening installing a pair of slotted eline rotors from R1 Concepts and new Posi-Quiet Pads. I have only done the fronts as it took me a TON of time to get the **** caliper carrier bolts off... Needed to use a massive breaker bolts, WD40, Soda, anything and everything I could find. Anyway, I finally got the bolts off and replaced the rotors. I have had a lot of brake issues recently, I put on a pair of Hawk LTS pads on about a month ago and they were the worst pads I have ever used. They were so loud and the bite wasn't even that good.

I must say, I am extremely impressed by the R1 Slotted Rotors... I was a bit concerned because I got the entry level rotors rather than their higher end ones, but thus far they have been great. The bite and pedal feel is vastly improved, but I think rocks in place of pads would have been better than the Hawk LTS's haha

I am going to do the rears tomorrow and will post my feelings on them as well.

-Mike

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Re: Just Insalled R1 Concepts Slotted Rotors and Posi-Quiet Pads

And they aren't on backwards! :clap:

Sorry, couldn't resist. I'll probably do something dumb now since fate seems to have a sense of irony at times.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts

Maybe it would be a little more beneficial if you get some miles on them before posting how well they work. If you just put them on & drove up the street & back, it's a good start, but please report back after a bit of regular use.
I might be interested in the slotted rotors when mine need replacements again.

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
305 Posts

& don't forget to "pay it forward".
Post some pics of your work and document your progress.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

HAHAH thanks guys! I didn't let my buddy help me with it this time, did it all myself... You know what they say, if you want it done right - do it yourself 8)

I am going to do the rears tomorrow morning, but I really am impressed by the stopping power although it is a bit earlier to tell. My OEM rotors were really thin and grooved up so it wasn't tough to improve what was already there, but now I know what you guys meant before when you said, "When I hit the brakes, my Range Rover stops"... So does mine now :)

The Hawk pads really were crap, but given that this new setup has so much more stopping power I think it was more due to the new rotors than the new pads.

I took a few pictures, I'll upload them later tonight and I will post some more feedback in the coming weeks.

-Mike

·
Premium Member
305 Posts

So r u over ur brembo upgrade jones? :) ;)

G

·
0 Posts

I'm a little confused. If you put on a pair of pads about a month ago, why were your caliper bolts so hard to remove?
Are you using a torque wrench to re-assemble things or just tightening them as much as you can? Cuz that way can cause you trouble down the line.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I changed the pads a both ago, you don't need to remove the caliper carrier bolts to change the pads... I'm not talking about the 7mm Allen bolts, I was referring to the 16MM bolts.

Thanks for reminding me, I need to go get some PB Blaster...

Doing the rears tonight.

-Mike

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

And no, I would much rather have Brembo's I just don't think it is in the budget... Unless someone wants to sell me theirs off of their Supercharged:)

-Mike

·
Premium Member
305 Posts

KuduRover said:
And no, I would much rather have Brembo's I just don't think it is in the budget... Unless someone wants to sell me theirs off of their Supercharged:)

-Mike
Propbably could've got them by now btwn all the warped, backward, cheap, noisy pads & rotors you and your friends have gone through. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just kidding.

Get good brakes and you'll be pleasantly surprised how well HSE brakes compare during average driving to the Brembos.

I had an HSE (although RRS) for 4yrs & I drove it like a beast, and she stopped on a dime.

The Brembos are truly beneficial for high speed driving (hence why they're racing brakes), o/w your avg driver, and even your above average will do fine w/ good stock HSE quality brakes with a well bled system. How many luxury performance cars even use them anyway?

Brembo upgrades are about a grand so if you insist, save your pennies, forget all your other wish list items, and put your money on at least a functional upgrade. And please have a competent & performance brake savvy person tackle it for you. You wouldn't want to incur the wrath of the RR Gods w/ another "Screwed up my Brembo Upgrade" post.

·
Registered
2007 HSE
388 Posts

Just curious -- how'd the upgrade to R1s turn out, and what are your impressions after several months? Stopping power? Squeaks?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts