RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gang,

I want to introduce myself to the club and ask a few questions. Last week I purchased two Range Rover Supercharged trucks. One for my 16 year old son and one for my 19 year old daughter. Yes they are super good kids and they have earned it. The daughter got a scholarhip to Texas Tech and has maintained that scholarship and a 3.8 GPA. The amount of $ she's saved me more than offsets the price paid for the RR. Now, long-term prolly not but hey you only live once and this has been her dream car ever since she was young and developed an appreciation for cars.

The 16 year old boy showed some signs of potentially taking the wrong path from time to time but he figured it out before it was too late. He has redeemed himself by raising his grades, making solid choices, commiting to athletics, becoming further involved in his faith and understanding that social media can ruin your future. He still has a little ways to go before the keys are his and he has to drive a 2006 Ford Escape beater for a while longer proving that his driving skills and all the other things are not just temporary. Range Rovers can be sold just as easy as being bought and they both of them understand this. I am hard but I am fair and I am generous. They know this can go sour with one bad choice and watch all those efforts evaporate right in front of them.

The two trucks are as follows:

2007 Range Rover Supercharged
- black on black
- 127K miles
- $9.5K
- two owner traded at local Land Rover dealer
- clean carfax and no paintwork
2011 Range Rover Supercharged
- silver on black
- 94K miles
- $16.5K
- two owner traded at Houston area Land Rover dealer

Neither truck has any upper engine timing chain noise or weirdness. I did all the research I could on the 4.2 and 5.0 s/c engines and you can convince yourself to never buy one of these trucks if thats what you wanna do. I however decided that at these prices it is worth the risk and I have access to a solid mechanic that moonlights from his garage and will do either or both if it comes to that. In addition I have found a couple warranties that could work but still have more investigation to do given how shady some of these aftermarket service contract companies can be. More work to do here. Both trucks are dry underneath with no oil leaks or coolant leaks. To be really honest I cannot find a single thing wrong with either truck with one exception. The 2007 has an oddity with regard to the auto feature on the headlights. If I switch them to the auto (A) position and turn the truck on, the lights do not turn on. However, if I turn the switch to the on position, the lights come on and function properly. I can even switch to the (A) position and the lights stay on and then shut off properly when the truck is turned off. But the next time I go to start the truck if the switch remains in the auto (A) position, they do not come on. Weird but very Land Roverish.....

My first question is this. What all key fobs work with the 2007 Range Rovers? The picture below is what I have two of and they are both shot. The rubber buttons are punched thru and one doesnt work at all. When looking on eBay, I see a switchblade fob that it seems a lot of people are using. Can I simply buy one of those and have a locksmith cut the new shank and program it somehow? In the past it was lore that only Land Rover could do this but I think we have advanced past this and others can do it. The local stealership wanted $600 for new programmed key like the one pictured here. I am not paying them $600 bucks for something that cost them 12 bucks. No thanks. Plus the parts guys at my local dealer are pricks and acted like jackalopes when I came in and asked about options.
I would appreciate any ideas here....

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 HSE
388 Posts
Your key is actually the 2006 and prior model key. The switchblade key started in 2007, but early 2007 vehicles still had the previous key.

To the best of my knowledge you have to purchase this key, but I do not know for certain.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am wondering if I can purchase the new style key and have it programmed?

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
The Auto lights only come on when it's dark.....They are not daytime running lights.
There may well be other options for keys, but I'd go dealer or nothing to be sure nothing else gets screwed up. Thats coming from someone who put a built LSx motor into a P38, so not a "purist" by any means.

Martin

PS, your parenting methods seem inline with my own. Eldest lost everything when he decided he knew best. Dirtbike, Jeep, etc.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Leftlane,
It was dark when I was trying the lights. I'll check it again when I have the truck here at the house but both are at a buddy's house right now because neither kid knows that they are getting these for Christmas. Still plenty of time for knuckleheadedness but I am confident they have their rudders pointing the right way. The girl for sure, the boy 99%......

The Auto lights only come on when it's dark.....They are not daytime running lights.
There may well be other options for keys, but I'd go dealer or nothing to be sure nothing else gets screwed up. Thats coming from someone who put a built LSx motor into a P38, so not a "purist" by any means.

Martin

PS, your parenting methods seem inline with my own. Eldest lost everything when he decided he knew best. Dirtbike, Jeep, etc.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Try them while selecting drive etc. It may also be turned off in the settings within the becm etc.
My eldest hated life when he came back home and had nothing. Not even his bedroom.... He had to start over again, and I only buy the first rig, no more.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have a 2006 RRSC and it came with the BMW Spade style key you are holding in the picture.

I made some posts on this forum. I purchased a switchblade style key from ebay. I had a local locksmith cut the the key for $35.00. I programmed the doors, and removed the transponder from my original key and installed it in my new key. The first key I purchased worked so well that I would walk out to the driveway and find all the windows down because the key was being activated in my pocket. I later purchased a second key with recessed buttons that I still use daily. I found the original link. I'm not sure if the same seller is still active on ebay, but I will post link below.

https://www.rangerovers.net/forum/6-range-rover-mark-iii-l322/266162-replaced-my-spade-key-bmw-style-wth-flip-key-90-a.html

·
Registered
614 Posts
Gang,

I want to introduce myself to the club and ask a few questions. Last week I purchased two Range Rover Supercharged trucks. One for my 16 year old son and one for my 19 year old daughter. Yes they are super good kids and they have earned it. The daughter got a scholarhip to Texas Tech and has maintained that scholarship and a 3.8 GPA. The amount of $ she's saved me more than offsets the price paid for the RR. Now, long-term prolly not but hey you only live once and this has been her dream car ever since she was young and developed an appreciation for cars.

The 16 year old boy showed some signs of potentially taking the wrong path from time to time but he figured it out before it was too late. He has redeemed himself by raising his grades, making solid choices, commiting to athletics, becoming further involved in his faith and understanding that social media can ruin your future. He still has a little ways to go before the keys are his and he has to drive a 2006 Ford Escape beater for a while longer proving that his driving skills and all the other things are not just temporary. Range Rovers can be sold just as easy as being bought and they both of them understand this. I am hard but I am fair and I am generous. They know this can go sour with one bad choice and watch all those efforts evaporate right in front of them.

The two trucks are as follows:

2007 Range Rover Supercharged
- black on black
- 127K miles
- $9.5K
- two owner traded at local Land Rover dealer
2011 Range Rover Supercharged
- silver on black
- 94K miles
- $16.5K
- two owner traded at Houston area Land Rover dealer

Neither truck has any upper engine timing chain noise or weirdness. I did all the research I could on the 4.2 and 5.0 s/c engines and you can convince yourself to never buy one of these trucks if thats what you wanna do. I however decided that at these prices it is worth the risk and I have access to a solid mechanic that moonlights from his garage and will do either or both if it comes to that. In addition I have found a couple warranties that could work but still have more investigation to do given how shady some of these aftermarket service contract companies can be. More work to do here. Both trucks are dry underneath with no oil leaks or coolant leaks. To be really honest I cannot find a single thing wrong with either truck with one exception. The 2007 has an oddity with regard to the auto feature on the headlights. If I switch them to the auto (A) position and turn the truck on, the lights do not turn on. However, if I turn the switch to the on position, the lights come on and function properly. I can even switch to the (A) position and the lights stay on and then shut off properly when the truck is turned off. But the next time I go to start the truck if the switch remains in the auto (A) position, they do not come on. Weird but very Land Roverish.....

My first question is this. What all key fobs work with the 2007 Range Rovers? The picture below is what I have two of and they are both shot. The rubber buttons are punched thru and one doesnt work at all. When looking on eBay, I see a switchblade fob that it seems a lot of people are using. Can I simply buy one of those and have a locksmith cut the new shank and program it somehow? In the past it was lore that only Land Rover could do this but I think we have advanced past this and others can do it. The local stealership wanted $600 for new programmed key like the one pictured here. I am not paying them $600 bucks for something that cost them 12 bucks. No thanks. Plus the parts guys at my local dealer are pricks and acted like jackalopes when I came in and asked about options.
I would appreciate any ideas here....
Good for kids but with two range rover your wife will be mad and jealous
Good luck with range rover.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
You can use whatever type of key where the blade fits into the ignition switch, which has a 315mhz transmitter in it for the door locks (note the 2011 uses a 433Mhz door lock transmiter) . The blade part of the key is just a mechanical means to rotate the ignition switch, so as long as it fits the cylinder and is cut properly any FOB will work. The immobilizer part is what unlocks the switch so the key can be turned. I have two different types of folding keys for my 06 with folding blades, that I got off of ebay for about 50 bucks each and I also have a few of the fixed head ones like your picture as spares in case i lose one of the folders. All you need to do is find a lock smith who can read the existing key code and cut you a new blade for the new key. He probably won't be able to program a new chip for you, he may be able to clone your existing but you don't really need that unless you need extra keys. once you get the key cut You have to swap the immobilizer chip over to the new key from the old one, its a little piece of black plastic that is about 1/8" by 1/4" and it sits down in a slot inside the black part of the FOB near the blade. DO NOT LOSE this or you need to go to LR to have a new key made for about 300 bucks and 2 to 3 weeks wait. Once the key works all you have to do is resync the new fob (and any existing ones) to the door locks, this takes abut 5 minutes in the driveway. Note that the order you sync the keys to the truck is the order of the driver personalization settings. First key is driver one, second key is driver two etc. Sucks if you're 6ft 4 (I'm not) and listen to rock and you get your 5 ft wifes key who listens to rap and the seat tries to drive you thru the windshield if you mix up the keys.

I have a key like this one;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPER-CAR-FLIP-KEY-REMOTE-FOR-RANGE-ROVER-CHIP-NEVER-CODED-KEYLESS-ENTRY-CLICKER/131503853839?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

and one like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/UPGRADE-RUBBER-REMOTE-TO-CHROME-ALLin1-FLIP-KEY-REMOTE-CHIP-TRANSPONDER-FOR-RR/361041178002?_trkparms=aid=444000&algo=SOI.DEFAULT&ao=1&asc=55165&meid=0a81bc5c08a34c19837eb7923767eef6&pid=100752&rk=3&rkt=6&mehot=pp&sd=131503853839&itm=361041178002&_trksid=p2047675.c100752.m1982

I prefer the second one only because its real easy to press the buttons accidently in the first one carrying the key around in your pocket. The second one has newer done that. ignore the unprogrammed chip part, as you have to move your chip or have a chip cloned off of your key by someone with the right equipment. You can chuck the chip that comes with the new FOB its not going to work.

Whatever you get make sure it has a 315Mhz transmitter in it for the door locks. Don't use those links unless your sure they work with your truck(s), those are just for the pictures. Look at the back of the key to see if the frequency required is marked there, or open your key up and the small circuit board inside will be labeled with the proper frequency that you need. Don't let the immobilizer chip fall out.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
First off, huge appreciation for the comments and ideas for the keys. I broke into the inpporable key last night (it came with two - one of which won't turn the key in the ignition) and that little black transponder fell on my bathroom floor. I picked it up and stuffed all of the parts in a baggy. I am guessing the transponder is what makes the clicking sound when you insert the key into the ignition socket prior to turning the key???

So, if I am reading all this correctly, I can buy any 315Mhz switchblade key as long as I can fit the transponder in it along with the new circuit board? If I have oversimplified this, it wouldn't be the first time. I will learn as long as yall don't get frustrated with me. This is gonna be fun......

You can use whatever type of key where the blade fits into the ignition switch, which has a 315mhz transmitter in it for the door locks (note the 2011 uses a 433Mhz door lock transmiter) . The blade part of the key is just a mechanical means to rotate the ignition switch, so as long as it fits the cylinder and is cut properly any FOB will work. The immobilizer part is what unlocks the switch so the key can be turned. I have two different types of folding keys for my 06 with folding blades, that I got off of ebay for about 50 bucks each and I also have a few of the fixed head ones like your picture as spares in case i lose one of the folders. All you need to do is find a lock smith who can read the existing key code and cut you a new blade for the new key. He probably won't be able to program a new chip for you, he may be able to clone your existing but you don't really need that unless you need extra keys. once you get the key cut You have to swap the immobilizer chip over to the new key from the old one, its a little piece of black plastic that is about 1/8" by 1/4" and it sits down in a slot inside the black part of the FOB near the blade. DO NOT LOSE this or you need to go to LR to have a new key made for about 300 bucks and 2 to 3 weeks wait. Once the key works all you have to do is resync the new fob (and any existing ones) to the door locks, this takes abut 5 minutes in the driveway. Note that the order you sync the keys to the truck is the order of the driver personalization settings. First key is driver one, second key is driver two etc. Sucks if you're 6ft 4 (I'm not) and listen to rock and you get your 5 ft wifes key who listens to rap and the seat tries to drive you thru the windshield if you mix up the keys.

I have a key like this one;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPER-CAR-FLIP-KEY-REMOTE-FOR-RANGE-ROVER-CHIP-NEVER-CODED-KEYLESS-ENTRY-CLICKER/131503853839?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

and one like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/UPGRADE-RUBBER-REMOTE-TO-CHROME-ALLin1-FLIP-KEY-REMOTE-CHIP-TRANSPONDER-FOR-RR/361041178002?_trkparms=aid=444000&algo=SOI.DEFAULT&ao=1&asc=55165&meid=0a81bc5c08a34c19837eb7923767eef6&pid=100752&rk=3&rkt=6&mehot=pp&sd=131503853839&itm=361041178002&_trksid=p2047675.c100752.m1982

I prefer the second one only because its real easy to press the buttons accidently in the first one carrying the key around in your pocket. The second one has newer done that. ignore the unprogrammed chip part, as you have to move your chip or have a chip cloned off of your key by someone with the right equipment. You can chuck the chip that comes with the new FOB its not going to work.

Whatever you get make sure it has a 315Mhz transmitter in it for the door locks. Don't use those links unless your sure they work with your truck(s), those are just for the pictures. Look at the back of the key to see if the frequency required is marked there, or open your key up and the small circuit board inside will be labeled with the proper frequency that you need. Don't let the immobilizer chip fall out.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Yep. Check the date when the RR's changed from 315 to 433MHz though, I know my 06 is 315Mhz. Some of the circuit boards have both frequencies on them and you can switch them back and forth others are single frequency. A lock smith who does car locks can test the fob to determine its frequency. You don't know how many people have opened their FOB to replace a battery and had that little black chip fall out and they figure its just some brocken clip or something and toss it. Then when the truck won't start they blame it on the new FOB. Just make sure the width and thickness of the blade is the same as your original. Mine are slightly thinner and the locksmith had to shim the blade to keep from cutting the groove to deep.

My Fobs are the same as the ones in Post 7, and I had the same issue with the AUDI one, real easy to press the button in you pocket by accident. It looks and feels nicer, but I use it as my backup for that reason.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Huge Thanks Mark !!!!

·
Registered
2016 Range Rover Sport HSE
67 Posts
Congrats! They will enjoy and for the prices that the L322 is at right now you can't beat it versus other newer non-luxury cars for the money. Coming from someone who bought my 12 SC at 21 and have used it for college, work, road trips and my dogs they are great cars versatile for the changing circumstances that come along with that area of life. It is definitely the swiss army knife of SUV's.

·
Registered
2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
27 Posts
Does the vehicle with the auto-light issue have an aftermarket windshield? I had the same issue when I had the windshield replaced in my 2006 with the aftermarket glass. My insurance made me go this route at first, but they eventually ponied up for the genuine windshield after we couldn't get the auto-lights or rain-sensing wipers to work properly. The genuine windshield has the land rover logo in the bottom corner on the driver's side.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I dont know whether it does or doesn't. I will check later today when I can get over to where its being stored. Thanks for the idea!!!!

Does the vehicle with the auto-light issue have an aftermarket windshield? I had the same issue when I had the windshield replaced in my 2006 with the aftermarket glass. My insurance made me go this route at first, but they eventually ponied up for the genuine windshield after we couldn't get the auto-lights or rain-sensing wipers to work properly. The genuine windshield has the land rover logo in the bottom corner on the driver's side.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
The headlights are controlled by the light sensor on the top of the dash, its the big red lens looking thing in the center of the dash infront of the dash speaker. The variable washer sensor is actually part of the windsheild. If the glass was replaced and didn't have the sensor in it from the start then it won't work, as it can't be added separate from the glass. Sometimes the variable wiper ECU just needs to be reset. I don't think there is any aftermarket glass for the RR's available in the US anyway. It may come from Pilkington, or PPG but they all carry the LR logo on them. I had mine replaced 2 years ago and was worried about getting some cheap aftermarket glass, but the glass place said that there aren't any available. Glass alone was $950. Glad I have comprehensive coverage which in MA has to include glass.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
128 Posts
2012 RR Sport here. I'm just assuming your 2011 RR might work the same way.
I bought my car used, only came with one fob and I wanted a spare just in case.
if you already have an IIDTool, You can buy used fobs from Ebay for like $80, and you can program them to the car yourself, however there is one feature that still won't work that way:
If the battery in the fob dies, you can hold the fob to the underside of the steering column and still start the car.
This pairing cannot be reprogrammed by the IIDtool, so if this option is as important to you as it was to me, I believe your only option is to get a new fob from the dealer. A spare fob cost me about $350 + 1 hour for programming.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The 2007 doesnt have the "push start" feature. It requires an actual key if thats what you were referring to???

1 - 18 of 18 Posts