RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have lurked here in the past having owned a Disco 300tdi for many years. The Disco has mechanical injection, coil springs and ZERO computers but at 470,000km the engine is running out! Now I've just bought a '98 P38 4.0L (cheap) having first figured out that it had many of the problems listed on these forums and also taking a gamble that I could fix them. Perhaps I'm a bit mad or a masochist or maybe both. So far I've ordered EAS O rings, brake modulator repair kit, ABS accumulator, heater O-rings, BeCM transistors, various lights, made an EAS diagnostic cable and downloaded the reset software. So far the EAS is fixed and the heater core is hot but ... now I need a blend motor. I guess it's the ideal car for an old instrument tech like myself.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well it took a year and a half most of which it spent growing cobwebs in the carport but finally got it roadworthied and registered.
Biggest job was upper and lower steering balljoints for which I had to buy a press from USA and it was a prick of a job. Did the driveshaft seals while in there and found that all the auto shop catalogues list the wrong seals which I bought three sets of!. Had to go eBay again.
Slowest job was tracing a fault where all three LH indicators had a life of their own, coming on at random - not flashing, just flickering or staying on. I bought a Hantek USB oscilloscope off eBay (A$99) and was able to trace the trigger signal for the flickering to one of the MOSFET IC in BECM controlling front left indicator. Fault voltage was leaking out the input pin 2 and triggering the ICs for the other 2 LH indicators. Turns out a previous owner had disconnected front left indicator and run the lamp off the side repeater which incidentally works fine, and had left he faulty IC in the circuit which didn't work fine.
Sourced a relay via eBay from USA for rear left window in BECM.
Brake calipers, pads and rotors from UK way cheaper than Oz even with big postage.
Sony MEXN4050 Bluetooth CD thingo cos the changer died and the Eurovox head unit was poxy. Went straight in with a quick wiring patch and sounds good - advantage of base model 4.0 - no amps in doors to complicate.
Still needs headlining, HEVAC work, fuel economy on petrol or LPG is appalling like 20 and 30 litres/100km respectively, no ideas yet but need compression check, now transmission making strange whooshing sound on overrun :-( One tiny prob with EAS remains also. Great to drive though - eats corrugations that upset the Disco.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts