RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys!

I'm from Istanbul, Turkey and I just paid deposit to a '86 RRC! She has '92 3.9 V8 motor with LPG. I insist on to remove the LPG from motor. The seller is going to deliver the car 2 weeks later without LPG. Actually it's going to be my first Land Rover and also my first old/secondhand car. I only added windshield washer liquid to cars until this day :D

My wife and I plan to make her as an adventure machine.

I keep reading day/night to learn more about RRC. What would you suggest me? Where do i need to start learning mechanics from? What do i need to check first? Any tips are welcome!

I plan to update this thread as we work on her.

Cheers!

rrc.jpg

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
1,482 Posts
Congrats! You know Land Rover has been making making mechanics of owners since 1948...but seriously, if you don't have the service history or the PO can't provide that, baseline all the major systems before going on an adventure. You should also develop a spare parts bin to carry with you when you do go on adventures.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
132 Posts
Congratulations- 86 was a good year as it had several major upgrades known as "phase 2" within the previous 12 months and the 3.9 engine has a lot more torque than the old 3.5.

I suggest you go to the main rangerovers.net website and read every article on the classics. That will draw on heaps of experience and knowledge. You will find more on www.graemecooper.com.au However, don't be too put off by all of the repair details - just fix each if and when any problems arise, or you might spend heaps on things that are not immediately necessary.

The place to start though is to inspect the sub-frames, floor, firewall and door pillars & frames for rust and if necessary, get any structural problems fixed before you do anything else.

It is not that I disagree with PC's suggestion of a "spare parts" bin, but in practice, the chances are that if anything fails, it will be the one item you do not have with you. Therefore, before you go on any adventure, find a local mechanic who has actual experience of classic Range Rovers and get an engine compression test, check the steering and suspension bushes, shocks, brake pads, swivels, belts and hoses. Change the oils if this has not been done recently. The cost of this will be fully justified and you can be reasonably certain of having a safe and reliable vehicle.

Hope you enjoy this wonderful car - I have had 7 classics.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for the information and suggestions. She arrived yesterday! :)

WhatsApp Image 2017-04-18 at 08.31.25.jpg

She has some problems inside. But the engine and drivetrain is good as i can understand. I'm planning to bring her to a mechanics this weekend. For now, i began riding with her to my job as daily car.
God, I loved the sound!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts