RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a lot of endless searching for a set of OEM running boards for my rig I happened upon a 99 SE junkyard goldmine complete with OEM roof-rack (which is now on Mills Fowlers rig ) and a set of OEM running boards.
I had a hell of a job getting the running boards off the junkyard rig as the rivet nut inserts that held the bolts which attached the running boards to the truck were spinning with the bolts so I broke out my trusty Milwaukee M18 grinder and reciprocating saw and made it happen.
So this is what they looked like when I got them home,covered in a nasty layer of scum and mildew but structurely sound as a pound. photo 1(1).jpg
photo 1(1) - Copy.jpg
So break out the scrubbing brushes,bleach water and basically everything but the kitchen sink to clean them up before re-spray.
Once cleaned and re-cleaned I let them sit out to dry off before cleaning them down with alcohol etc.
photo 3(2).jpg
Then seen as running-boards are a heavy traffic item I decided to go with a heavier duty rubberised truck bed paint
photo 4(2).jpg
4 coats later with 1 hour drying time in between and then let then sit out to bake in the Florida heat for 2 days.
photo 4(3).jpg
photo 3(3).jpg

Now my rig apparently had a set of running boards put on it some years back (it showed up on the carfax) but someone along the way
had taken them off again as they were'nt on it when I got it.
Because of this 5 of the 8 pre-drilled holes on my rig had the rivet nut inserts in them while 3 did not.
So after a trip to Daytona Nut & Bolt I got a few rivet inserts and put them on using the 2 spanner (wrench) method and then replaced all 32 bolts on the running boards and mounted them.
photo 3.jpg
photo 4.jpg
photo 5.jpg

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bedliner over rubber?
Believe it or not they turned out well.the bed liner took to them well.had tested it before hand on a few other items to make sure it would take well and it did just that.very happy with the finish.
Read on the bottom of the can above where it says "ideal for running boards" we'll they weren't lying mate.

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
THat's great to know. I know a few folks that have used bedliner on their metal running boards, but I sure would never have thought to use it on rubber. I'll be very interested to see how well it holds up. :thumb:

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,219 Posts
Looking good... now you just need to go back and get the nudge bar...

Marty

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
THat's great to know. I know a few folks that have used bedliner on their metal running boards, but I sure would never have thought to use it on rubber. I'll be very interested to see how well it holds up. :thumb:
Well its been on there 2 weeks or so now and already had a lot of traffic on it and seems to be doing a good job.will keep ye updated

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looking good... now you just need to go back and get the nudge bar...

Marty
I imagine the nudge bar is already gone mate but if I got it and refurbished it i wouldn't put it on my rig.I like my P38 without the nudge bar to be honest.I've also redone the roof-rack so am pretty much complete externally now.
My grille did get all cracked up from a passing truck but I bought a used one for $30 and will be re-spraying that next week.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
233 Posts
The roof rack completed everything that I wanted to have done on my rangie, it's perfect now! Next on the list (ughhh) is the heater core replacement. ImageUploadedByAutoguide1358052120.001216.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
97 Posts
running boards turned out great!!

hafta keep my eyes out for a pair, i'd like to add some to mine as well!

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The roof rack completed everything that I wanted to have done on my rangie, it's perfect now! Next on the list (ughhh) is the heater core replacement. View attachment 14468

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Heater core replacement is a piece of piss mate 2-3 hrs work tops,just make sure and go for the Audi replacement

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
running boards turned out great!!

hafta keep my eyes out for a pair, i'd like to add some to mine as well!
Thanks man,I'd been searching for a set for ages and wasn't willing to pay $600-$900 for a set so got a cheap scrapyard pair and refurbished them myself

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,219 Posts
If you do the Audi heater core swap, make sure you get some really good hose clamps for any which are inside the dash...

I did my swap about 9 months ago, had the dash apart yesterday whilst doing some other bits (tweaking my LED dash lights and moving my GPS antenna for my nav system) and on reassembly found traces of coolant... from the hoses going into the heater core...

I thought is had bought proper Jubilee branded clamps - but they were both loose (one had worked it's way to being practically finger tight!) I guess it's because of the expansion/contraction of the hose as it heats up/cools down.. but needless to say, I'm on the lookout for some better clamps at some point, as I don't really want to have to be tightening clamps in the dash every few months (luckily I left the socket head accessible so it can be done without pulling the whole thing to bits!)

But yeah, other than that - audi heater core the whole way :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts