RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, after randomly getting the ‘stuck in park..no brake lights’. I removed the brake switch connection, and used a 12v battery to connect 2 wires to allow the shifter to move into neutral. That worked. Yay. But afterwards, (and using jumper cables) i went to restart, and plenty of cranking but just wouldn’t fire up. even with some starter fluid. Thought maybe flooded but still nothing after sitting. Letting it sit overnight as it was freezing outside. But, does messing with the brake switch connections or lower panel affect the fuel pump, or starting lines?? Or starting it in neutral??
  • ‘92 range rover lwb
  • replaced fuel pump last year
  • had issues in the past with starting, but not in forever.

·
Registered
832 Posts
So was there something wrong with the brake switch...
Hooking up the jumper cables should have given the power needed to move the shifter..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the cables were only needed cause my battery died while pulling the panel and such. Before i pulled the brake switch, it was starting up fine...just couldn’t get it into drive
- as for the brake switch, im not sure if it is faulty or not. The brake light fuse was intact. I just needed to get it moved cause i was in a terrible spot, and i read about ‘jumping’ the brake switch wires to move the shifter.

·
Registered
374 Posts
You've got the gears either in park or neutral to try starting haven't you?

Basic check of fuel pump, put screwdriver to filler cap and your ear on handle, get someone to switch ignition key to check for running pump.

·
Registered
832 Posts
If it’s not firing with starter fluid it has something to do with spark or timing...
maybe with the spark modulator or the cap and rotor...
And RRLondon is right about it needing to be in park or neutral
To start....is it turning over.... was it turning over before you jumped the switch and turning over I mean when you turn the key was the motor engaging... or nothing happens

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. So yea, i'm trying to start it in Neutral. I also put it back into Park just to see. no love. (then i re-jumped the brakes to get it back into neutral)
  • @RRLondon so Before i unclipped the brake wires from the switch...it was starting up just fine. I tried to start it quite a few times in the parking lot as i was trying to get it out of 'park'.
  • @Mikieman yea, the motor is engaging...sounding like its right on the verge of firing up like maybe it was flooded. But same thing this morning after letting it sit. Doesn't help that its cold as **** out.
and you may be right....i've had some issues with slight sputtering/misfire when initial driving it cold. Could be distributor/rotor here?

- waiting on a helper to come, so i will try and listen for the fuel pump running when turning the power on. much appreciated. Stay tuned!

gavin

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fixed! :rolleyes: Ripped apart the panels of the passenger seat to get to the last 2 fuses affecting the fuel pump / main relay. God **** bad fuse connection on the main. thanks for all the help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts