RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jiggly headlights + "front" suspension deflates after 3 days

Hello everyone,

Trying to get the kinks out before my warranty is up(1-11-10). Took the 06 sport to the dealer and explained the problem . Keeps the truck over night and the next day he calls and ays they found no fault codes in the system :!: . Furthermore, after I told him that the truck is sitting like a hot rod after about 3 days in the garage, he claimed that it is normal??????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:?:Why is there not a fault code in the system (or is he just not telling me the truth) and is this normal or has anyone had an experience like this before and how did you resolve it?

one other problem is when I drive over bumps at night I notice the headlights jiggle more than usual. He also claimed that since these are adjusting headlights it is normal to notice the "jiggle". Is this true????

I am supposed to pick up the truck on monday . Any suggestions are appreciated........

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
1,165 Posts
Re: Jiggly headlights + "front" suspension deflates after 3 days

is there a nearby parking garage or something where you can show the SA the jiggly headlight issue?

·
Registered
123 Posts

I'm going through the same thing, only my warranty expired about 500 miles ago! Had our '06 RRS HSE in to the Allentown dealer to go over a few items before the warranty expired - they didn't fix any of them even after taking it back a second time. The front suspension would drop overnight or after a few days in the garage. Drops about 3/4" but it's noticeable. Dealer claimed saw it happen and said that it's normal but several people on my other post had mixed reactions. This really only started about 2 or 3 months ago. Seems like the dealers are really pushing back on any problems now and don't want to fix them - possibly trying to push the issue off until the warranty expires.

I'm amazed at how bad the dealers are at diagnosing a problem if there are no fault codes. There must not be any mechanical training any more - just training on how to hook up a computer and look at the screen for "codes".

My diag tools are getting setup and I'll keep an eye on what's going on with the suspension when it does this. I didn't get an extended warranty because I can do a better job of finding and fixing problems than the dealer. When a bigger issue comes up or I don't have the tools, then the dealer or a good independent can tackle it. Gotta find a good independent in eastern PA now....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

hello,

Thank you guys for responding. My front suspension drops by more than 2" while my rear suspension stays up. you have it better than i do geflackt.

I am hoping if the chief ( umbertob) would read this post and give some kind of an input. umbertob, does the suspension on your truck deflate when it sits for 2 or 3 days?

phil that is a good idea I will try to do that, thanks.

just picked up my 997 last saturday :D . what a toy. maybe I should trade in my sport for a cayanne. :snooty:

Thanks again guys...........

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts

aljus said:
umbertob, does the suspension on your truck deflate when it sits for 2 or 3 days?
No. If they do, it's barely noticeable. Strange that only the front suspensions would lower that much, though. If there was such a dramatic leak in the system, you'd think the car would be on the bump stops as the self leveling kicks in every few hours to even out the four corners. Is the floor of your garage level? Perhaps your suspensions need recalibration.

Regarding the headlights... If they are adaptive, they jiggle a little over bumps or broken pavement, no questions about that. Some drivers seem more sensitive than others in noticing these vibrations. Do they still do the little up-down-in-out checkup "dance" when you first fire the car up in a dark garage?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

umbertob said:
aljus said:
umbertob, does the suspension on your truck deflate when it sits for 2 or 3 days?
No. If they do, it's barely noticeable. Strange that only the front suspensions would lower that much, though. If there was such a dramatic leak in the system, you'd think the car would be on the bump stops as the self leveling kicks in every few hours to even out the four corners. Is the floor of your garage level? Perhaps your suspensions need recalibration.

Regarding the headlights... If they are adaptive, they jiggle a little over bumps or broken pavement, no questions about that. Some drivers seem more sensitive than others in noticing these vibrations. Do they still do the little up-down-in-out checkup "dance" when you first fire the car up in a dark garage?

hello Umbertob, good to hear from u as always.

Picked up the sport this morning and despite my continued persistance about the problem with the front air suspension both SA and the tech claimed that it is normal :x . I told them I will call the company and talk to a rep. and see what he has to say about this problem. They looked at each other and said let us know what he said. Yes , my garage floor is level.

Yes, the headlights do the shuffle when I turn them on while parked. The tech also said that he checked the bracing and they did not need tightening and said that the jiggle may be because of the play in the motor gear that moves the lights. 8~ oh well I still have about 2 1/2 mos. of warranty left.............hopefully I can talk to the co. rep.

thanks for your response........

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts

I've seen other RR\RRS have the "jiggy" headlight while driving - not sure if yours is any worse than others - but below may explain your issue

Based on a response by Flash G back in 2007:
"The real issue here is that the Land Rover adaptive headlamp design is different than the Lexus, BMW, etc... and work differently than those brands. Land Rover uses a floating gimbal design because the headlamps rotate further and articulate more actively than their Japanese and German counterparts. (This gives faster reaction and wider travel for off-road situations where the car is at extreme angles.)
Because the gimbal is floating rather than fixed, (such as in the BMW and Lexus) it is more prone to minute vibrations over extremely rough surfaces. The vibration effect is more visual because of the sharp cutoff of the lamps.
My point is this - if you are more concerned about the shaking of your headlamps than the vast off-road superiority of your vehicle, maybe you're better off in a Benz, BMW, Lexus, or other grocery getter. (Those all come equipped with back-up cameras as well.) "

1 - 7 of 7 Posts