RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I've had my 2002 p38 Japan import for around 5 months, the issue I have is it only seems to pick up one radio station, can anyone offer any advice on how to retune the radio or tell me how to go about sorting this issue

Thanks

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
where are you located now? Your only option may be to purchase a new/used head unit for the market you are in. There have been several threads on changing the different tuning for different markets. I have never seen a DIY resolution posted. Another option is to contact GB 4x4 radios they may be able rebuild your current radio to match your new market specs.

http://www.gb4x4radios.com/

·
Super Moderator
2,426 Posts
I would assume the OP is in the UK as Japan also drives on the left so a Japanese import will be RHD and many low mileage, near perfect condition cars find their way back over here. You have found the problem that affects so many people with Jap imports of all kinds but at least you have an option (unlike those that import a car where the radio is integral with the dash). Japanese radio stations use 76-95 MHz compared with the 87.5-108 used in the UK and most of the rest of the world, even the US (although they do use 200kHz spacing for stations not 100kHz like everywhere else). You can get a 10Mhz downconverter that shifts the coverage to 86-105MHz but that still leaves a gap at the top end of the band and what is displayed on the radio isn't what it is tuned to. Your best bet would be to swap for a European spec original fit radio, a Clarion on earlier cars or an Alpine on the later ones. You'd need to check if you have the DSP amp or not, which will depend on year and spec, to get the correct unit. That way it will still appear original and will work with the rest of the system including the steering wheel controls.

·
Registered
361 Posts
We also have a lot of Jap imports down here in NZ. The easiest fix would to install a 'band expander'. That way you are saved the trouble of trying to find a usable head unit - although, as stated, the screen will not show the correct frequencies.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,248 Posts
No that he can be bothered replying to his own thread, but the IP addy he used was in Norfolk, UK

·
Registered
1 Posts
We also have a lot of Jap imports down here in NZ. The easiest fix would to install a 'band expander'. That way you are saved the trouble of trying to find a usable head unit - although, as stated, the screen will not show the correct frequencies.
Indeed we have it in Germany too. However, when I was in Japan, I really liked to drive a native cars like Toyota, Nissan or Honda that led me to the thoughts for a shipping a car from the Japan to the Germany, since they are new and pretty stable for several years. So, as there is a way to find out how can I ship a car using the article "best guides, tips and information about importing" that I've found from the different sources, which I think can help me with my wish.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts