1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/02/07/jaguar-land-rover-factory-georgia/

Jonathon Ramsey
London's Sunday Times reported last October that Jaguar-Land Rover was sniffing around The South looking for a potential manufacturing site, and was "talking to several southern states." We imagine Georgia was one of them; The Peach State has Kia Motors Manufacturing in West Point, it claims Porsche HQ as a resident, and soon the Mercedes-Benz regional office, too. The Atlanta Journal-Constitution has said that Governor Nathan Deal recently took the initiative to fly to the UK to "make prospect calls" with JLR executives about a deal.

We don't have any details about the calls, but we'll guess that they involved Deal making a financial case for GA over other states while sipping a cup of tea. It's said that the English luxury maker wants to build a factory here with a 200,000-unit capacity, to take advantage of the same financial efficiencies that have planted other automakers in the US and Mexico; it opened a facility in China last year to build the Range Rover Evoque, Land Rover Discovery Sport, and the Jaguar XE

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
1,480 Posts
Can't imagine a Range Rover that's not built in Solihull. And sadly, we know it won't be a Defender plant...

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
I don't know. They have announced that Defender production will cease in the UK but may still continue to be made overseas.......
I have a suspicion that would be a Defender in name only. I've seen plenty of Defender concepts since the Ford ownership, and none of them resembled a real Defender. Call me old-fashioned, but if a Defender isn't a body mounted on a truck frame...which, of course, was how I used to feel about the RR, but I've come to accept that the MkIII & IV unibodies are an evolution that is true to the spirit of a Rangie...

·
Banned
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
3,952 Posts
Latest rumour doing the rounds is that it will be much like VW did with the Beetle (the proper one not the Golf with the corners rounded off) and produce it in Mexico or similar using the old tooling from Solihull. So it will still look like a Defender but without the build quality (hang on, build quality and Land Rover in the same sentence? That must be a first!). A bit like the Spanish built Santana Series http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santana_Motor where it was built alongside the Suzuki SJ410.

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
...A bit like the Spanish built Santana Series http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santana_Motor where it was built alongside the Suzuki SJ410...
I just discovered the Santana Series recently. Pretty cool. Aren't there other manufacturers that had relationships with LR? ISTR reading about Defenders (CKDs) made in another country as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts