RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a real head ache over the last few weeks trying to find a supplier of a genuine IDS.

I took a gamble on GEG (http://www.gegdiagnostics.co.uk/) as I have heard thay have a Snap-On tie in with SPX Service Solutions, the supplier of IDS as well as Land Rover Special Tools (thanks for the tip Allyv8). :thumb:

Well, their units ARE genuine for anyone else looking into buying one. This has been confirmed by SPX using the serial number. Just saving anyone else looking for one ending up with a clone.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Hi Rich,

I've got a constant supply of used IDS VCM's, all geniune & all updated to the latest software.

It does the job, but it's not brilliant & i find the system very annoying as it's ignition off, tick the box, ignition on, tick the box, ignition off, tick the box, ignition on, tick the box, then the slightest power drop & the whole lot freezes. Then it's back to the beginning.

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I get the problem with low batteries quite often with T4, especially on L322. I've actually also got a Jaguar Land Rover battery support unit to clip onto the vehicle battery to hold the battery up while doing anything. Especially important when doing ECU flashing... :shock:

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Rich998a said:
I get the problem with low batteries quite often with T4, especially on L322. I've actually also got a Jaguar Land Rover battery support unit to clip onto the vehicle battery to hold the battery up while doing anything. Especially important when doing ECU flashing... :shock:
So did they give you a box of Jubilee clips as well ? :shock:

·
Registered
820 Posts
Battery pack,

I've got a 12/24v starter/charging system they go on at they workshop & 25mm 10metre jump leads for mobile.

As for flashing, i have the ECU out & completely change & remap the eprom with the help of my Stag Eclipse system. That can program every DIP & PLCC, from eprom to CPU. Then there's also my new IR fully automatic solder station for the BGA's & CPU's.

OBD are fun, but not as much fun as chip level repairs & mods.

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your asumption is that they will let you into Australia? :wink:

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update (as I can't see any specific IDS info on the interweb) -

The GEG Diagnostics supplied unit is clearly Genuine and not a clone. Andrew who deals with this side of the business is reliable enough to call me back any time I have an issue or question with it. Usually it relates to the rediculous updates which appear to be frequent. Up to recently the software update, vehicle calibration files and patches have updated easily, although it usually tells you you need an update while you are mid diagnostic which is a pain, although the TOPIx and various other Ford Dealership sources say the system needs updating on the morning of a release. IDS is a bit of a mess, but like T4 before it, it works very well considering the amount of patches and updates flying around.

Recently there has been a change though. From what I understand, before June 2010 you needed a site licence of around £600GBP per annum, that is for each site/workshop, not IDS unit. There has been no effort to enforce this up to June, but now you need to aquire a password and username. Again, from what I understand, provided you have a subscription to the TOPIx site, you can use this Username and Password. In practice this doesn't work and SPX who were providing IDS support don't want to know. They fob you off with 'Well if you aren't using the Panasonic laptop then we can't help' or just can't be bothered. A phone call to Andrew at GEG supported the fact that the licence should come from a subscription to TOPIx, and that if you get the right person on IDS Support, then they will help you out. The passworded version of the software is crackable as there is a Service Anouncement on TOPIx offering a default username and password - I guess some dealerships have been caught out with the change. Provided I switch off my wireless on the laptop, I can just use the June version of the software. I can obtain calibration files (for ECU flashes etc) and updates without a problem, but the main software is an issue.

I also have the Omitec UCM which according to a certain person who runs a workshop near Bath :shhh: has been updated to cover Defender post 2007 and even FL2, and has improvements to L319/L320 vehicle software. The UCM has the potential to wipe the floor with IDS and other competitors but Omitec appear to continue to struggle with the software upgrades which were promised by the end of last year. The UCM takes about 20 seconds to connect to a vehicle (hardware and software wise) where as the IDS takes about 5 minutes+ after loading the considerable software, entering the VIN and fighting to get 12.5V at the battery with the battery conditioner. At least I get a choice of the most appropriate system for the job now.

I still can't justify the prices originally quoted by Autologic for their system. £10,000 is a lot of money, and I think most independents use it because of the safety of having access to 'Master Tech' phone support (which is an extra annual charge). For around that £10k I purchased a T4 Pro, IDS (both full dealer spec), UCM and a CMD Flash unit for the performance engine remaps.

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just wanted to fly the flag for Omitec who have finally (about 10 months late!) come out with the V5.1 of their UCM. Excellent piece of kit. Really fast to connect to the vehicle. It is perfect for the fast plug in to read, delete fault codes, read live data (which you can now choose from a list) etc. Really nice compact and tough bit of kit. Only a short play but I was able to dump the air out of the airsprings and reservoir of a Disco3.

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I purchased my UCM for nearly half that. The V5.1 disc came free which is nice. Had more of a play with it today. Also allows you to do the EPB on the L319/L320's.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts