RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a RR SC and was all set to buy a 2010 for several reasons:
1. significantly more power
2. TFT fully digital instrument cluster
3. updated Nav and radio electronics
4. just newer in general
But after having read all the issues with chain guides and such on the newer Jag motors, I am getting itchy. I have read in a couple places that the 06 to 09 Jag motors are generally more solid especially with regard to the timing chain and guides. Now that has me wondering of the better buy is to go with an 08 or 09. Can someone who has real world knowledge either confirm that the older motor is more reliable or debunk this as a myth please???

·
Registered
437 Posts
im not sure i can answer your specific question but my reaction is whynot search for a 2010 to 2012 that has had the timing chain done or find one that hasn't and factor that into negotiation for the right car? the 2010+ SC are fast and smooth, i wldnt abandon getting one because of something than can easily and permanently be fixed.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
335 Posts
Also, bear in mind that the 2010 5.0L N/A engine is very close to the power output of the 2009 S/C engine.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looking for one that's already had the timing chain guide work completed would be the best of both worlds but that narrows the searh quite a bit. Not impossible, but difficult. The other alternative is to research and buy a warranty that covers this work and wont screw me. These aftermarket warranties are always a crap-shoot no matter how much research ya do.

im not sure i can answer your specific question but my reaction is why not search for a 2010 to 2012 that has had the timing chain done or find one that hasn't and factor that into negotiation for the right car? the 2010+ SC are fast and smooth, i wldnt abandon getting one because of something than can easily and permanently be fixed.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIII / L322
65 Posts
I've had both and frankly the 10-12 is much nicer.

I was able to get all of the timing chain (and a host of other issues) resolved for free under the manufactures extended warranty before they became a problem. My 2012 SC has been relatively issue free.

The power difference is quite substantial. The luxury options are also a lot nicer in the later models.

My two cents.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I've had both and frankly the 10-12 is much nicer.

I was able to get all of the timing chain (and a host of other issues) resolved for free under the manufactures extended warranty before they became a problem. My 2012 SC has been relatively issue free.

The power difference is quite substantial. The luxury options are also a lot nicer in the later models.

My two cents.
Can you elaborate on the host of other issues? Im about to do my timing chain and wld like to cover any vulnerabilities at once. Thanks very much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, to add another dimension to this search I started looking for a warranty that would cover the timing chain guides if/when that becomes necessary. I have found a company called Delta Auto Protect. At this point I have done zero research on their legitimacy but received the following quote:
PROGRAM:
Diamond Premier
TERM:
5 years / 75,000 additional miles
DEDUCTIBLE:
$100.00
YEAR:
MAKE:
Land Rover
MODEL:
Range Rover Supercharged

PREMIUM:
$3,290.00
1 Payment of $3,290.00
If this quote and company are legit, then it seems more than fair. My first reaction is this is too good to be true.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
343 Posts
Hmmm. That seems about right. Carmax has a similar program that is about the same but will do 6 years for slightly more. It seems on par with that. It would be nice to hear from actual owners who have the extended warranty program on a 2010-2012 and how much it cost them.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIII / L322
65 Posts
Yes, from the confusing language on the service sheet:

1. New water pump
2. The timing belt tensioner and various related
3. Super Charger Snout, Isolater rebuild and new bearings
4. High pressure fuel pumps (the ones located near the engine).

Out of all of these things, #4 really made a noticeable difference in power (this was done at a separate time from items 1 through 3). That being said items 1 through 3 were really preventative as they weren't causing me a problem yet. All of this was done at 75k miles.

This work was all done under the CPO warranty before it ended.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts