RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a Jag engined Rangie and want to know the benefits or even downsides of swapping from the BMW?

Thoughts on a postcard please :think:

·
Registered
952 Posts
06 was the changeover from the BMW sourced V8 to the Jaguar V8. Jag engine has more power, newer design. Reliability has been equal between the two. The 2010 has the newest Jag 5 liter engine which is head and shoulders above the old BMW engine, way more power and torque and better fuel economy.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I have had both a BMW and Jag engined HSE and neither engine has much of an advantage in performance however the Jag engined cars are much more reliable and the interiors are a big improvement. The reason to get a Jag engined car IMO is not the engine but the other improvements.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anybody have a picture of the Range Rover version of the Jaguar's AJ-V8 - I think I have one in my new yet to pick up 2005 Range Rover as it not looking like a BMW unit but not certain?

·
Registered
952 Posts
This is the Jag V8 from my 06. If you're buying an '05 you definitely do not have it.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I HAVE bought a 2005 Range Rover and it DEFINATELY has got exactly that engine I just saw it:!!!

Kinda looks a little different from the BMW and sits much higher in the Engine Bay :)

May be different in the US of A but over here:

Land Rover 4.4
The 4.4 L (4394 cc/268 in³) version features a 2 mm (0.1 in) wider bore over the 4.0 to increase torque.
Vehicles using a 4.4 L AJ-V8 include:
2005 Land Rover Discovery - 300 hp (224 kW) , 315 lb·ft (427 N·m)
2006 Land Rover Range Rover Sport - 300 hp (224 kW) @ 5500 rpm, 315 lb·ft (427 N·m) @ 4000 rpm
2005 Land Rover Range Rover - 305 hp (227 kW) @ 5750 rpm, 325 lb·ft (441 N·m) @ 4000 rpm

The Range Rover's exterior was updated for 2006 along with the BMW V8 replaced with a Ford unit. The new engine choices were Jaguar's AJ-V8, with 4.4 litre 300 hp (227 kW) or 4.2 litre 400 hp (298 kW) supercharged variants. This new Range Rover was officially presented at the 2005 North American International Auto Show and released in summer 2005.

Sorry but I have one in my 2005. 8)

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
Since they introduced the new engines in mid-2005, some late production MY05 Range Rovers in Europe / UK could have been fitted with the Jaguar engines, even though in the US they were already marketed as MY06s. I know that a short production of MY05 Range Rover Sport was sold in the UK for example, while in the US the very first RRS was a MY06.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
umbertob said:
Since they introduced the new engines in mid-2005, some late production MY05 Range Rovers in Europe / UK could have been fitted with the Jaguar engines, even though in the US they were already marketed as MY06s. I know that a short production of MY05 Range Rover Sport was sold in the UK for example, while in the US the very first RRS was a MY06.
There is a whopping great Jag Engine in my 2005 Vogue so I guess that's proof enough..

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Indeed, it is super smooth and the 6-sp ZF tranny is generally a perfect match for it. Too bad that it's a thirsty beast (but that's not really the engine's fault, it's our cars that are way too bloated), it must not be a very popular engine in the UK considering the prices of gas over there... In fact, I think LRUK stopped offering it on its cars altogether since the new TDV8 became available a couple of years ago. But it is a very refined engine and it has been quite reliable, both in normally aspirated and supercharged forms. Congrats!

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
umbertob said:
Indeed, it is super smooth and the 6-sp ZF tranny is generally a perfect match for it. Too bad that it's a thirsty beast (but that's not really the engine's fault, it's our cars that are way too bloated), it must not be a very popular engine in the UK considering the prices of gas over there... In fact, I think LRUK stopped offering it on its cars altogether since the new TDV8 became available a couple of years ago. But it is a very refined engine and it has been quite reliable, both in normally aspirated and supercharged forms. Congrats!
Many thanks - what are your thoughts on LPG conversion of the Jag engine?

·
Registered
952 Posts
That makes sense, I didn't realize you were in the UK where the Jag engine was released at the tail end of the 05 model years. In the US they were not released until the 06 model year, but that was released earlier than usual-- I bought my 06 in August 05.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
remington said:
That makes sense, I didn't realize you were in the UK where the Jag engine was released at the tail end of the 05 model years. In the US they were not released until the 06 model year, but that was released earlier than usual-- I bought my 06 in August 05.
I think the confusion was the fact that the United States system uses "Model Years" in a different way to the UK. In the US you can but an 08 Model year in 2009 and so on. I have even seen 07 Model years being sold NEW in 2009 for some Mustangs.

I think the 2006 Model upgraded/facelifted AJ-V8 engined car was available in the back half of 2005 in both of our good countries :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
umbertob said:
it must not be a very popular engine in the UK considering the prices of gas over there... In fact, I think LRUK stopped offering it on its cars altogether since the new TDV8 became available a couple of years ago.
Yes that is true. The regular v8's sales numbers are very small throughout all over Europe.
When they had the TD6 and the V8, they could sell v8's because the td6 was very slow even though the v8 was very thirsty. But even then v8's had small numbers.

With the TDV8 its a different issue, that engine really goes... It kills the petrol v8 in every situation, with an average of 13l/100 km vs 20'sL/100 km, for a fuel which is generally 30% cheaper. You had to be pretty dumb to buy a v8 in Europe, so they dropped it altogether. At the launch of the TDV8 it even had the Brembo brakes and supercharged suspention settings whereas the v8 had regular fist calipers.

In the US, as far as I know, there is a large number of states where diesel's can't be sold at all. That renders the TDV8 unselllable. Which is why they have the v8.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There seems to be a lot of interest in the UK at the moment for used V8 BMW 2002-2004 & JAG 2005-2007 for LPG conversion creating a true 30-35mpg RR King of the Road at a very reasonable cost.

However, in due course I will be buying a 2007/8 TDV8 when prices come down a bit.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
VMPP said:
In the US, as far as I know, there is a large number of states where diesel's can't be sold at all. That renders the TDV8 unselllable. Which is why they have the v8.
Fortunately gasoline is cheap here. Not as cheap as it used to be a couple of years ago, but compared to European prices it's... almost free. :wink: Diesels are coming, slowly but they are coming. California is tough with its emissions regulations, but MB isnow selling its Bluetech cars here.

·
Registered
646 Posts
VMPP said:
umbertob said:
With the TDV8 its a different issue, that engine really goes... It kills the petrol v8 in every situation, with an average of 13l/100 km vs 20'sL/100 km, for a fuel which is generally 30% cheaper. You had to be pretty dumb to buy a v8 in Europe, so they dropped it altogether. At the launch of the TDV8 it even had the Brembo brakes and supercharged suspention settings whereas the v8 had regular fist calipers.

Diesel is more expensive then premium gasoline here usually.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts