RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, so I decided spur of the moment to head up to Jackson Hole with my RRS Supercharged. Was a crazy drive through several blizzards and some epic scenery but made it! Took a few photos along the way.
IMG_7197.jpg
IMG_7231.jpg
IMG_7254.jpg
IMG_7257.jpg

·
Registered
59 Posts
Very nice. Love a little Cowboy Bar.

How noticeable is the weight on your BFGs? Honestly. Do you run them year round. And how do they do in snowpack vs ice and the deep stuff? Thanks.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very nice. Love a little Cowboy Bar.

How noticeable is the weight on your BFGs? Honestly. Do you run them year round. And how do they do in snowpack vs ice and the deep stuff? Thanks.
I'd say the weight isn't really noticeable. The main thing is when taking sharp turns really hard where you're really loading up the tire or quicker lane changes at 90+mph you definitely feel that this is a tire that has some pretty big tread blocks and gaps between those blocks. The car is basically limited at 110mph with these tires (I think that actually is the speed limit rating on them anyhow) but anything over 110 on these tires starts to get mad sketchy. So high speeds are definitely sketchy. With that said the road noise isn't bad at all, and the tires perform incredibly off road and in snow. Handles the deep stuff with no issues, and also grips on snowpack like a true dedicated snow tire. Not bad on ice although I'd say the one area where they struggle is heavy braking on ice or snowpack. I just got the car about a month ago and I do plan to run the tires year round.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Top gear, what size are your BF's & do you use the rods for lift? I just got a '16 diesel yesterday & want to make a couple changes. Thanks!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Top gear, what size are your BF's & do you use the rods for lift? I just got a '16 diesel yesterday & want to make a couple changes. Thanks!
I have Johnson Rod's but have yet to install them, can't wait to see how it looks. My BFG's are 275/55/20. They fit great, no rubbing issues at all in all settings and the tires alone are almost 2" in diameter larger so I'm sure that add's to making the car look higher. If you have the diesel I highly recommend the BFG's as they really didn't effect my fuel economy much. I still can get 22mpg on the highway if I'm careful which would bode well for your diesel. Love my supercharged but sometimes I wish I'd gotten the diesel since it's hard to use all the power the supercharged has, and lately I just wish I was getting close to 30mpg... so I could spend less $$ on gas on my roadtrips.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, here's part two of the trip after arriving in Jackson. My third day in Jackson the clouds around the Tetons finally cleared and it was an incredible day. Finally got the views I was hoping for when I decided to take the trip. On the way back I had a little run in with a Wyoming Sheriff who did not approve of the speeds that the car had begged me to try on a road that was as straight as far as you could see through the literal middle of nowhere. Oh well..
Also got to see a really cool landmark from the Oregon trail called Split Rock. Oh and one more photo I decided to throw in, a really cool classic that I spotted hangin out in the corner of the FBO in Jackson.
IMG_7310.jpg
IMG_7335.jpg
IMG_7322.jpg
IMG_7336.jpg
IMG_7326.jpg
IMG_7235.jpg

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks! I just ordered the j rods. I had the rods & same sized BF's you had on my '10 full size I just traded in & loved the setup. Pretty wild you can fit 32's with no lift b/c on the full RR you needed rods & trimming of one fender we'll. super cool pics & the series!

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
Hey, if you are going to get ticket, you want to get a real one, not one of those 35 in a 25 zone ones! :grin:
In my younger years I had a few good ones ... always on pretty open and empty roads ... but that is the problem, you are too exposed and don't have safety in numbers from other cars on the road.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks! I just ordered the j rods. I had the rods & same sized BF's you had on my '10 full size I just traded in & loved the setup. Pretty wild you can fit 32's with no lift b/c on the full RR you needed rods & trimming of one fender we'll. super cool pics & the series!
Haha, within a week of getting them I wished I'd gone bigger! Although another user finally convinced me when he said that with 275 55 20 you know you are 100% good. There's no angle or situation that will get you into trouble. The more I thought about the more I thought that's good enough for me, I'd rather go big, but still have peace of mind.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
81 Posts
Topgear, great looking sport. Do you have rubbing issues with those tires at access mode or when off-roading at full articulation? I'm very familiar with the lr3/4 and previous sport as I have owned them and had them all lifted with the IID tool and 32"'tires and wheeled them quite a bit. But the new generation sport is new to me. Trying to figure out if I got one, what I could do to run it with a full time 2"'of lift and hopefully some 32's. Thanks a lot

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Topgear, great looking sport. Do you have rubbing issues with those tires at access mode or when off-roading at full articulation? I'm very familiar with the lr3/4 and previous sport as I have owned them and had them all lifted with the IID tool and 32"'tires and wheeled them quite a bit. But the new generation sport is new to me. Trying to figure out if I got one, what I could do to run it with a full time 2"'of lift and hopefully some 32's. Thanks a lot
Hey Eniam17, zero rubbing whatsoever. I can put the car in access height and even then I have yet to have any rubbing issues. In full off-road height there are definitely no issues, massive clearance. In fact I would have gone bigger were it not for the fact that I do massive amounts of highway driving and have already taken a decent performance hit going from the performance tires that come on the car to these. If I spent more time off roading I definitely would have gone larger. I should add that all of this clearance is on the stock car, I have yet to install my Johnson 1.5" lift. Will post some pics when I get around to it. Feel free to hit me up with any other questions!

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
206 Posts
I decided to copy tOpgear and put on BFG T/A KO2 in 275/55/20. Thank you for testing them out before I bought my set! They are a little nosier than the standard tires but are worth it! No rubbing just like tOpgear promised! They are S rated and limited to 170kph - but our speed limit is 100kph here in Ontario and most people drive at 120kph.

Nigel_IJPG.jpg

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
BADASS! Making me really wish my car was black now! Did you have the wheels painted or powdercoated?

·
Registered
206 Posts
BADASS! Making me really wish my car was black now! Did you have the wheels painted or powdercoated?
I had them powder-coated. There is still some vegetable oil on them if you look carefully from the mounting - the white bits are not scratches.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
81 Posts
Thanks guys, I appreciate the info. Both of those sports look great with these tires. I do very little highway driving, only drive about 8k a year total anyway. I'm wondering if the 3.0 6 motor would be less than desirable running these size tires though. You both have the supercharged 8 correct?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yes, mine is a V8 and if I were to guess then t0pger has a V8 with Dynamic package.

These tires weight around 54 lb. I believe that the standard tires weigh 40 lb each. So - you will have an extra 14 lb unsprung weight per tire as well as an extra 14 lb for the full size spare. You cannot use the donut or full size spare that comes with the car because the diameter is quite different.

·
Registered
19 Posts
that looks real good enfield! I am getting my BF's tomorrow on my black td6 tomorrow, I just put the lift on last Friday, its gonna be awesome!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts