RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My OEM jack failed a while back, and I understand this is not uncommon. What have you used as a replacement that can be stored in the spare tire area?

Currently I'm hauling around a 6 ton floor jack, which seems kind of stupid and am looking for the best alternative.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I bought a 3-ton bottle jack with the highest lift I could find, at Harbor Freight. That scissors jack crapped out on me - gaulled (sic) & seized. It went right to the trash & got replaced quick. I also carry 2 chunks of solid lumber - one to provide a good base for the jack & the other a good lifting interface between the jack & the jacking point if I need it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Seems for the purchase of an $80k pus vehicle you get the crapiest jack out there, a true P.O.S.!! I shredded a tire last week and as I was about to lower the jack after fitting the spare tire the bloody jack collapsed!! In my younger years I was an auto mechanic so I am familiar with auto repairs.
Thru the jack in the trash and headed to an auto store and bought a 6 ton bottle jack, and a couple of pieces of lumber as 03raniemark did.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had the same problem with my jack tonight. That thing is the biggest piece of crap. I had just picked up my X5 from the shop after that broke down and got towed on monday. Piled the family into the Range Rover to head into Philly to the car show. Got a flat out of no where on 76. Pulled over on an off ramp to change it. I couldn't even get the jack to lift the truck. I've worked on cars and in the biz for a very long time so I know what I'm doing. After about 20 min I get a about 6" with the jack when the bar starts to bend. Then the jack slips, dents the bottom of the truck and drops the truck back down. Remember, family is inside (2 year old and 6 month old).

Call a friend at local MINI dealer to send roadside who is there in 10 min with a real floor jack. Back on the road in 5 min.
Rover jack is in the snow on the side of the road where I threw it. Calling Land Rover tomorrow to complain.

Now, which bottle jack to get? It seems the Craftsman has the highest lift height.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I decided to test mine shortly after I bought the vehicle, figured I better make sure it was adequate *before* I needed it one day... well, I jacked up the left front and was letting it back down when the entire thing buckled and collapsed. Fail.

Bottle jack for me too.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Wow, glad to hear I'm not the only one who had their jack fail on them. Does anyone have a link to any of the bottle jacks mentioned that are compatible with the Range Rover's jack positions?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just bought one from sears that is 20 tons and goes to 18 5/8". It doesn't go high enough! Jacked up all the way with the suspension on the low setting it still needs about another inch or two to get the tire off the ground. I haven't found any that go up higher then this. Any suggestions?

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
This one from Powerbuilt looks like a great idea for a high clearance vehicle, jackstand and bottle jack in one unit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhjVX6HogN0 - You can find it for a very reasonable $40/60 online. It looks too bulky to store away in the car, but still much better than hauling around a huge floor jack and far safer than either a more unstable bottle jack or the ultra-cheap standard LR scissor jack. I have used that POS in a pinch, it'll work but you have to align it just right under the car's jacking point or it'll bend and break. That's not that big of a deal on flat pavement or in a garage, but on uneven surfaces or off road that thing can be downright dangerous.

Another great alternative (especially off-road over unstable terrain) that stores flat, is an exhaust inflatable air jack such as the Bushranger X-Jack: http://www.arbusa.com/Products/Tow-Stra ... ks/46.aspx - lots more money, though.

Whenever jacking up the car, put your suspensions in off-road height first. You'll have more clearance to position the jack securely under the chassis, and since the wheels will drop all the way down anyway (as you found out already...) there is no need to go through the extra effort of jacking it up from access height, let the car's suspensions do some of the heavy lifting instead. :wink:

·
Registered
98 Posts
I had a scary experience with my jack last week as well. I had a flat in the rear and took me a long time to jack up the car, the problem started when I was done with swapping out the tires. When I tried to turn the handle on my jack to lower the car, it gave up and the car moved forward. Luckily I was done replacing the flat otherwise, I would've ended up in an emergency. I will never attempt to change the flat on range rover again. :x

·
Registered
47 Posts
Seriously a liability. I had a front flat coming home from work recently. I lifted the car with the stock jack, and managed to get the wheel off. Then the jack started bending in half!! 8-0=

I almost crapped my pants! There the jack was holding a 6000 lbs car waiting to crash. I called roadside assistance and they came in 40 minutes. Had to wait outside in 20 degree weather because I couldn't touch the car otherwise it'd collapse. Then the roadside assistance didn't have a jack that went high enough...WTF?? He struggled but finally got it to lift it up just enough to fit the new tire on...by 1/4 inches. I need to find a bottle jack too.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
144 Posts
i put this one in where the factory jack sat, its tight, but it fits. Handle breaks down into 2 pieces and sits next to the spare - http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive ... 67022.html - its saved me many times off road and on. Lifts 20 inches and i keep a block extender with me in case i need extra height.

Off road i bring the high lift as well if needed - but for a quick tire change on pavement you can't beat this setup IMO.

JH

·
Registered
35 Posts
jhepworth said:
i put this one in where the factory jack sat, its tight, but it fits. Handle breaks down into 2 pieces and sits next to the spare - http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive ... 67022.html - its saved me many times off road and on. Lifts 20 inches and i keep a block extender with me in case i need extra height.

Off road i bring the high lift as well if needed - but for a quick tire change on pavement you can't beat this setup IMO.

JH
Can you post a pic of how this fits?

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
all depends on what you are doing and where you are jacking from. If you are doing a tranny service you want every inch you can get. Of course in that situation you can raise to wading height and use blocks on your jack from there. If you are doing brakes or an oil change you can jack from the suspension and it takes very little lift.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
36 Posts
For service work I use ramps but for tire changes I am thinking about using a hi lift with lift mate and an axle stand, thoughts on that? Aside from having to carry tthe big jackand stand LOL

1 - 20 of 23 Posts