RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently with the cold weather, I've noticed that my car seems to have issues starting up. The engine starts but the RPM's drop pretty quickly below the 1k mark and then dies. Just this morning, my engine shutdown twice as I tried to start the car. On the third try, I had to press a little gas to get the engine from dying out on me. I didn't have any issues after that. Btw, this doesn't happen all the time...it has only happened twice and usually when it's been sitting overnight. I have to go to the doctor today so I'll report back if I have any issues starting up again.

Anyone else have this issue recently with the cold weather? Is this something to get checked out from the dealership or can I blame this on the cold weather (25-29 F)?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also to note, I'm below the 1/4 line in gas. Would that be the issue? I have a friend who was low on gas that had issues in starting their car and solved it by filling the car up.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, just came back from the doctor. The car had no issues starting both times on the way there and back so I'm guessing it might not be a problem. I'm going to fill it up full today and see how well it does in the morning tomorrow. Anyone have any comments on whether this isn't a problem?

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
Probably not a problem unless you have a weak battery.

Could be a bad tank of gas.

Just a personal observation from driving 1 mile from my local train station to the house once in a while: if you drive very short trips esp in winter and park it overnite, you might get water condensation in cylinders making the car a bit harder to start in the am.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have noticed when I am completely out of gas, my truck will not start. :)

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
A weak battery would often trigger additional fault codes while the car is laboring to start, such as "HDC fault" or "Transmission Fault" displayed in the instrument cluster (the fault messages quickly disappear after the engine starts and runs for a few seconds.) If you do not see such messages when you start, your battery is probably OK and it may just be the cold weather, or bad gas, like goosey says. Still, you should mention this to the SA next time you are in for service as sometimes they may apply software patches to recalibrate your engine control module and resolve the issue. I remember there was a TSB issued for some 2006 S/C, specifically to address slow starts and engine stumbles in cold weather, but it would not apply to your MY08.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,469 Posts
This would be interesting to hear...one possible item though is that the fuel pump is fading a bit, i.e. the pressure in the line is lowering so it takes longer to crank and then fire up.

For short trips, it's likely not to show up as a symptom as the fuel pressure has been built up...

May be worthwhile having your shop check the fuel pump....

On my recent trip, after spending the night near Moab, with single digit Fahrenheit (8 degrees F) temperature, for the very first time in the history of my RRS, it cranked for at least 10 seconds before firing up (nice to have the AGM Odyssey battery with super duper cold cranking power too) , then the RPM dipped for about 2 seconds, and then levelled out again. I've attributed it to the cold weather as well, as it has not happened since my return to Houston.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I filled up the tank and have had no issues so far. Got home without any starting issues so I'll see what happens tomorrow morning.

Thanks for the tips. I have to go the dealership anyway for a misaligned lift-gate...but a pain in the butt to get an Enterprise loaner.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
61 Posts
The Land Rover mechanic's that I have dealt with and probably most other dealer mechanics are pretty lazy these days. If it doenst show up as a fault they dont think there is anything wrong. They call this phantum something or another. I went through this same thing and they would tell me there is nothing wrong. Finally, when my car would not start when taking my son to the hospital, (fortunately my GMC truck was there and started), I insisted that there was something wrong. They checked the battery and said I had a bad battery. Seems like they would have check this the last time when I had it in the shop and made the complaint.
I love my Range Rover but am very put out with my dealer. When my warranty is up I am getting a car with satisfactoy dealer service.

·
Registered
117 Posts
It really depends on the Dealership, mine bent over backwards when the whole heating system failed right before the first snow storm of the year. I could not own a car with issues that didn't have good service.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I'm not a happy camper. This morning, it died twice when I tried to start the car. It would go up to about 1.5k RPM then drop straight down to 0. On the third try with a little gas it stabilized and idled fine. So, having the full tank of gas didn't do anything.

So, I'm calling the dealership today but your right...I'm not seeing any codes and I know when I take it in, it'll work just fine. I wish they could be with me when I wake up in the morning to go to work. As for a bad battery, they did their "17 point" inspection like two weeks ago and I think a battery check was on it. I'm going to have to check those papers again.

So, is anyone else having start-up issues that live in a cold area? So, I should ask them to check the fuel pump...any other items?

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Could be a myriad of things too tough to diagnose on-line, have the dealer check it. It could be software issue, vacuum leak, bad O2 sensor...I'll stop now. My car starts fine in cold weather and it was -6F in VT last w/e, so its not cold weather related.

PS--take that sheet w a grain of salt. My dealer gave me the same sheet @30K, said my brakes were in the "yellow" zone and I should get them changed at the next service. No way were they going to last that long.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
129 Posts
It is your thermostat! I haven't read the whole post.. sorry. But I had the same problem a month ago and it turned out that I needed a new thermostat. Car did EXACTLY the same thing as yours. Let me know if that helps.. good luck.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got an appointment for Monday and they are saying it could take a day just to diagnose the situation and several days to fix it (which I'm hoping it won't). I'll definitely mention the thermostat when I get there.

Minor vent:
Lately, I've been going to the dealership for minor things and I'm fine with getting a crappy Enterprise loaner just for the day but when the car has to be in the shop for more then a day or two, it just bothers me. What sucks is that when I bought my car, part of the sales pitch included the whole LR loaner service where they would pick you up in a LR and they would come and take your car. I don't care what kind of LR it is but when I have to drive a Chevy Malibu for 3-4 days...I feel like I'm getting the shaft. BMW, Acura, Lexus, Infiniti and others give you their respective model cars but I just expected more when buying a 60k+ car. Even a SUV would be nice since we might be expecting snow in the area, but they have none of those.

I've been pretty patient with all these minor hangups and I wouldn't even mind taking the car in for service if I could at least drive something with a small resemblance to luxury.
End vent:

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
129 Posts
I promise its your thermostat. Tell them to check it before you waste another day in your lovely Chevy Malibu. Trust me.

My dealer doesn't even give loaners.. consider yourself lucky w/ that domestic pos. :dance:

·
Registered
36 Posts
lakbum said:
Minor vent:
... but I just expected more when buying a 60k+ car. Even a SUV would be nice since we might be expecting snow in the area, but they have none of those.

I've been pretty patient with all these minor hangups and I wouldn't even mind taking the car in for service if I could at least drive something with a small resemblance to luxury.
End vent:
I hear you. Have brought the RRS into the shop twice now. Got the Enterprise special each time. I understand and have never complained to them; but I, too, recall thinking... "In 10 yrs of [insert other brand] ownership, I always got a [insert same brand] model loaner car".

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, my luck...on the day of the appointment, car starts up with no problem even after having it sit overnight for two days. No issues today either. Maybe it was a fluke or something but with them saying it could take several days and the thought of being in a Chevy...I decided to just wait.

·
Registered
318 Posts
lakbum said:
I got an appointment for Monday and they are saying it could take a day just to diagnose the situation and several days to fix it (which I'm hoping it won't). I'll definitely mention the thermostat when I get there.

Minor vent:
Lately, I've been going to the dealership for minor things and I'm fine with getting a crappy Enterprise loaner just for the day but when the car has to be in the shop for more then a day or two, it just bothers me. What sucks is that when I bought my car, part of the sales pitch included the whole LR loaner service where they would pick you up in a LR and they would come and take your car. I don't care what kind of LR it is but when I have to drive a Chevy Malibu for 3-4 days...I feel like I'm getting the shaft. BMW, Acura, Lexus, Infiniti and others give you their respective model cars but I just expected more when buying a 60k+ car. Even a SUV would be nice since we might be expecting snow in the area, but they have none of those.

End vent:
Dude my dealership has been out of loaners the last two times and I get American or Japanese **** for my rentals from Enterprise, plus I get to interact with the jerkoff from Enterprise who does his walk around and all that nonsense. Dropping my RRS already puts me in a bad mood so I just want to punch that guy in the face sometimes. They had to balls to give me a Nissan Sentra the first time (I'm 6'3") but I played it cool and asked for a bigger car so this time I get a Pontiac G6 which is a just a bigger version of garbage and crystalizes why that brand no longer exists.

I hated to pull this but I kindly gave them the "I drive a Range Rover, can you guys up the rental the next time to something decent?" I think this time I'll formally address the issue of no loaners with the service manager, who'll likely just give me the 'its not up to me how many rentals we get' or that I'm lucky they even still have a free loaner program.

I've actually started feel bad when I see Sentras or Pontiacs and the like because I realize that some people actually have to drive those piles of **** on a daily basis. No life, no soul, no heart, no taste - just mediocrity at its very finest.

Think of it this way, when you turn in that Malibu, it makes you appreciate your RR that much more (and wonder how any zombie can drive those cars everyday). Same goes for the RAV4, Highlander, Honda Pilot, CRV, Equinox, Traverse, etc, etc...the list of rubbish is endless.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You couldn't have said it better. We must think alike. :lol:

Because of the loaner situation, I really don't like taking my car in even though its under warranty. I have nothing against the cars but after being accustomed to the luxury of my car...it just feels wrong. I remember once my only option was a Dodge mini-van and a Hyundai Accent. I was like...WTF!! Sometimes, they have Cadillacs, but they charge me a luxury fee which I personally think should be waived if the car you brought in is a Land Rover or if you even purchased it originally from them.

Now that I think about it, I can't see how the the original loaner concept worked in the first place cause the fleet of ships they'd have to manage would be enormous. My car hasn't been in the shop for any major issue yet and I always see them busy with other LR's.

I think my next car, even though I love my Range Rover, will be one from a manufacturer that has a decent loaner program.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts