RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a while since I visitied the board - been on the road for a while and few issues came up - any idea what this could be?

1. BAcking out of a driveway about 400 miles away and about to head back - heard a grinding noise. Stopped, and restarted , it would do it again. Put in drive and back in reverse, it went away. COuld not replicate again. COuld this be a differntial issue? No issues all the way home and to date.

2. Around 70-75 mph, there is a vibration like a backlflow from the exhaust casuing a vibration from under the vehicle. Anyone have this. If you cruise at this speed where the tach is around 2k, it creates a vibration - you need to push past this tach range to stop the vibration.

3. JUst as I slowed down for my exit - got an System engine fault - no idea what it is. NEver came back after I stopped and restated. But I did get a suspendion fault as I drove through a touchless \ laser wash to get the bugs out. Went away after restart. NO sure if going at 90+ mph for long stretch afor about 300 miles in TX heat was too much.

All these in 1 day - except # 2 which can be replicated .

Appreciate any feedback or possible solutions before I take it in to be looked at.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
# 1 could be a jammed EPB, shoes dragging against the drum? Was the park brake engaged when you backed up? Moving forward may have unjammed it. See if if you can duplicate the issue by engaging the park brake and then backing up.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
umbertob said:
# 1 could be a jammed EPB, shoes dragging against the drum? Was the park brake engaged when you backed up? Moving forward may have unjammed it. See if if you can duplicate the issue by engaging the park brake and then backing up.
#1 sounds suspiciously like something that's happened to me a few times on garbage day. When you pull forward it releases the can from the underside of the car and the grinding noise goes away.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
I'm sure. Cats make a completely different sound, and the mailbox is more of a "thud" noise.

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice - I checked that it was not Gargage day - so everything was out of the way - could not r3eplicate it.

Interesting thing is , on my way to dealer, took the RRS on the hway and trying to replicate the vibration which I was able to - on 5th gear around 55-60 mph when engine is aournd 2000 to 2500 rpm, and 6th gear around the 70 mph at the same RPM. While driving got the engine fault again, and this time I would floor the gas medal the transmission would not shift. you could see that tach going up but don't hear the engine reving.

Stopped at a light, fault went away, then egine would not shift out of 2nd gear and engine falut came back. Made sure I kept the engine running when I got to the dealer, so I could show the SA my issue on a test drive - else I'm sure I would have got a commnent that could not replicate the problem

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dealer told me it was a mis-fire and my wheel. CAlled them out ... Took them for a drive and was able to replicate the faults and vibrations and loss of power where tach raises up to 4k but you don't hear the engine rev.

They now telliong me, I worked the command shift too much and that is causing the issue - this is toal BS. About to take another RRS for a test drive with them to prove its my vehicle and not normal.

Any advise or escalation I take take?

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Frisco_TX_RRS said:
Dealer told me it was a mis-fire and my wheel. CAlled them out ... Took them for a drive and was able to replicate the faults and vibrations and loss of power where tach raises up to 4k but you don't hear the engine rev.

They now telliong me, I worked the command shift too much and that is causing the issue - this is toal BS. About to take another RRS for a test drive with them to prove its my vehicle and not normal.

Any advise or escalation I take take?
If you have an engine misfire (ie, bad plug, wire, injector,etc) you should be able to replicate that without a load on the engine--ie in neutral. If it only happens in gear, I would suspect something else.

I dunno how much effort it is to reflash the EPROM chips--engine + tranny, but that might be a place to start.

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like a good logical next step - heading down to dealership to ask them to try that or will do it before a test drive they want me to do later this afternoon.

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the advise. They agreed to Flash the Transmiison, Power train all bunch of stuff. They said there is a update for this, but my VIN does not fall into the range that would allow the updates to be applied. They will make an exception.

Also there was a leak leak in the hose to the suspension causing the faults and some other items, Hopefully truck will be back in shape again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts