RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a recent trip OOT I found myself with a near dead battery in my 2008 RR. I consulted my vehicle manual regarding jump starting and the following warning statement is found:

“Do not attach booster cables to the positive terminal of the battery. The positive terminal is equipped with a pyrotechnic device… Attaching a booster cable to the positive terminal may cause inadvertent firing of the device – this may result in personal injury or death and may damage the vehicle.”

Elsewhere in the manual it states to use booster cable connection points for jump starting, and there is a diagram indicating where they are located. Unfortunately, no positive connection point is present in my RR, so I opted to let the vehicle idle for the day (fortunately safe parking was available).

When I returned home, my dealer replaced the faulty battery, and advised me to jump start the vehicle in the future by connecting to the battery’s positive terminal. When I asked him to provide a short written note to that effect he refused and referred me to Land Rover CS.

CS told me the manual I received was “generic”, and to use the battery’s positive terminal. When I asked to receive something in writing to that effect she refused and became confrontational.

I believe it is unreasonable for LR to expect me to disregard the warning in a written document (the manual) and follow their verbal advice.

I can’t be the only one to have had to deal with this issue. Do other model years have the same conflict regarding the printed manual and absence of the referred booster connection points?

Has anyone been able to get LR to provide a written statement regarding what is the proper method to jump start a modern RR, or jump another vehicle?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,756 Posts
Perhaps the manual has been revised and customer service is using an updated script. I would hop on the owners section of LR adn download the owners manual for your rig and see if that section has been changed.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
You really don't have the + terminal on the firewall in front of the battery? I'll have to check some newer RR's. Def very practical to have. Makes jumping much safer in every respect.

The 'pyrotechnic device' is simply the main battery disconnect. It fires in the event of an accident (when the airbags are set off) and pops the main + feed off the terminal and into the plastic housing. The problem is, the entire plastic housing cups around the terminal and makes it nearly impossible to attach a jumper cable clamp to the + terminal securely. Without secure attachment, the clamp could pop of, etc. creating sparks/voltage spikes etc. and all the things you don't want around any of the SRS components. If this design on the terminal was changed to allow a secure connection, there should be no problem. If the design was left as before, it is possible to bend or break the plastic away on either side of the battery post to attach the clamp.You'd then want to attach this clamp first and make sure that it sits properly (then the other plus clamp, then the 2 ground clamps - if practical not at the battery especially the final connection). As long as the connection is OK, it doesn't really make any practical difference if you are directly at the terminal or 6" away at the jumper terminal.

I understand your trepidation - but this really isn't rocket science. And I think LR CS' attitude sucks. I would complain.

And I'd do a jump like this before leaving the car idling all day - did you really do that? 8-0= I'd be more worried about something going seriously wrong with the car running unattended than because of a jump.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,311 Posts
From looking at the owner's manuals on TOPIx it seems that the connection method for the +ve terminal has changed on more recent models.

Phil

Attachments

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Thanks Phil.
Confirms what I suspected.

Alan, if you compare the 2 pics, the 06 model has a remote jumper terminal and the right-hand battery post isn't even visible due to the plastic housing for the disconnect while the 09 has a standard-looking battery terminal. If yours looks like the one on bottom - no problem. Do all the jumpering you need.

LR CS' attitude still sucks, tho.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a negative remote battery terminal like pictured above, but no remote positive terminal. There is a red plastic housing dangling from where the positive connection is supposed to be located according to the manual. CS indicated LR stopped installing the remote positive terminal several years before my 08 model year.

Out of curiosity, what are the concerns (other than theft) of leaving the vehicle idling for long periods of time. I did leave the hood open slightly to decrease the risk of overheating.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts