RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a used 2010 Range Rover Sport. It only came with one fob. So I bought a fob and took it to the Land Rover dealer to have it programmed. They told me that they couldn't program it...but not because of a problem with the fob (the fob is fine) - it was an issue with the car's "control module". They explained to me that the part of the car that they have to program, had "expired". The solution, they claim, is to have a new control module installed for $367. At that point they can program new fobs.

1 - Is this for real? How come the part expired or can no longer be programmed?
2 - Is it correct that only a dealer can program the fobs...not an independent shop?

Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would consider buying a GAP IIDTool since you're almost there at $367 and program your own. I'd also reach out to them via email and tell them what you've been told and see if they can give you any insight as to whether it's possible. It's a pretty handy tool to have around.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I call bs on what dealership said. Probably wanted to drain your wallet a bit since you brought your own key. I thought the immobilizer and ecu both work together on key coding. Did you ask the dealership what part expired? And yes hawing your own tool will pay for itself.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Total BS i have a 2007 RRS and i bought a new fob at the dealer and then they programmed the new fob.
It wasn't cheap 400.00 for the fob 200.00 to get it programmed.

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
Need 2 fobs ('06 Sport); 1 is worn out and the other works intermittently. If ordered from the dealer, does the blade come cut? I have the GAP tool, assume it can do the programming.

Has anyone tried the cheap shell ~$10-20 from ebay and Atlantic British.

·
Premium Member
1,145 Posts
Need 2 fobs ('06 Sport); 1 is worn out and the other works intermittently. If ordered from the dealer, does the blade come cut? I have the GAP tool, assume it can do the programming.

Has anyone tried the cheap shell ~$10-20 from ebay and Atlantic British.
if it's just the outside shell that's worn out (i.e. the hole in the unlock button exposing the inside) then yes you can go the cheap route. bought 2 shells on ebay for like $10 and follow the youtube vids online.

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
if it's just the outside shell that's worn out (i.e. the hole in the unlock button exposing the inside) then yes you can go the cheap route. bought 2 shells on ebay for like $10 and follow the youtube vids online.
Thank you. 1 is functional, just needs the shell. Other just works when it feels like, so it must be dying. Approx $300/fob + 1 hr labor (hopefully I can do this myself)

Checking if I can buy a "blank" fob and have it cut by a lock smith, then program it with the GAP

1 - 7 of 7 Posts