Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I have posted the issue of my battery drain before, see post Fuse 46, car won't sleep draining battery

I didn't get any response that could help me.
It seems that there is something wrong with my instrument cluster prohibiting my car to go into sleep mode, ie draining my battery.

When I pull fuse 46 the car will go to Sleep. If I don't it won't. Fuse 46 refers to the instrument cluster but there seems to be nothing wrong with it visually.. No dead pixels or anything else.
I am kind of desperate on what to do next since this issue has me troubled since Christmas and was hoping for some help here.
Just removing the cluster replacing it with another (used) one seems not that straight forward. Replacing it with a new one might solve the issue at around 1500 Euro if I can find one... What would you guys advice?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nobody? In all this time? There should be someone who has encountered this issue, not?

·
Registered
L322 - 2005, 2006 na, 2012 sc
356 Posts
First, do you have any dongles plugged into the OBDII port - If so disconnect as cluster directly connected to OBDII port then see if truck goes to sleep / amperage draw drop to less than 30mA after 30 min with all doors closed, ignition off etc.

From what I gather, the cluster module is responsible for the vehicle going to sleep, I could be wrong. Disconnecting that will put vehicle to sleep but it might not be the cause of the issue, another module might be keeping it awake.

This would be my troubleshooting process - Others might have more to add or remove from list below but this should be a good starting point.
  • Go through the quiescent drain procedure in RAVE (414 Battery and Charging) if you have not already done so.
  • According to the RAVE electrical diagram, fuse 46 is dedicated battery power to the cluster and does not feed anything else.
  • The cluster also receives two other power sources, both from the ignition switch - Fuse 1 & 45 in the passenger compartment fuse box. Suggest removing those two fuses and seeing if that allows cluster to go to sleep. That will at least remove the ignition switch as a potential cause.
  • The cluster also has a connection to the climate control module that may be keeping it awake - Fuse 12 & 34 in passenger compartment fuse box.
  • Since the Final Stage Resister is so prevalent as source of power drain, you might want to disconnect it and see if that changes anything. It is fed by maxi-fuse 64 - I don't know which is more difficult, pulling max-fuse in passenger fuse box or just disconnecting the FSR.
  • If none of that resolves it, reconnect everything and start pulling fuses individually for other modules that communicate with the cluster
    • GEM - Fuse 15 in Passenger fuse box. Fuses 27, 41 & 60 in passenger fuse box and fuse 15 rear also indirectly feed into it.
    • ECM - Fuse 19 & 2 in Engine fuse box should do it. Lots of other fuses related but those two should kill power to it
    • Steering Lock - Fuse 39 passenger
    • ABS - Fuse 55 & 51 Passenger and Maxi Fuse 63
    • LCM - Fuse 9 & 4 Passenger fuse box
  • If none of the above resolve the issue, at this point it might very well be worth the $200 diagnostic from the dealership.
  • If you want to press on without the dealership, you can replace the cluster with a used one - You can find clusters for $50-$150 USD depending on year. I don't have experience here but I think it should work plug and play and I don't know exactly what issues you will have until it's coded to the vehicle. I know you will get the tamper dot on the mileage until it's coded to be similar in miles to the LCM. I know it won't agree with the transmission for vin until it's coded. I just don't know what other issues you will have until it's recoded. I think gaap id tool can re-code it. I'm sure there are discussions on that to provide guidance.
Cluster issues are not uncommon among this vintage of rovers. The thread below is on the sport but it wouldn't be crazy to think that design and components are shared. In this TSB it is a software upload fix. Might be a good place to start, others might have more ideas

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thank you very much for your suggestions and input. I am using landrover dealership diagnistics computer to get to the bottom of this. Car is not at LR dealership but at very specialized LR garage.
Had some news yesterday from them. It seems that the power drain is from inside the instrument cluster, they are 99%sure of that. I have a new one comming in from France next week We will test if the drainage will stop. Or not.
Fyi: I have done most tests mentioned above. FSR was an issue a few months ago, I replaced it after testing with fuse 64 and car went back to sleep as expected. Few weeks later issue as stated with fuse 46 started.
We have also found a defective Non-original alternator messing things up. This seems to be at the origin of my troubles... It gives variable voltages to the car between from around 12 up to 24 Volts.... Not good. This week the alternator was replaced with an original LR alternator. It has solved some other issues at least.
So, well be testing the new Instrumentcluster and report back here next week.

·
Registered
2002 L322 4.4 V8 Vogue
4 Posts
Hello @Ozon1969 , how did you get on with this? I have a power draw of 270mA on fuse 46 (cluster) and wondered if the replacement cluster resolved your problem? Or did you need to look elsewhere?

Thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My issue was solved by replacing the instrument cluster with a brand new one that costed me 1300 Euro including the installation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts