RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I was doing a bit of work under the dash - replacing lots of blow globes, and taking out an old bluetooth module on the RR - now unfortunately I have a "airbag fault" message on the dash - but no SRS light on
Before you ask - Yes - I did remove the battery terminals prior to taking out the instrument binnacle!
Also, after reading the threads - I have rechecked and reinserted all the yellow airbag/SRS connectors, but unfortunately it hasn't made a difference. I couldn't find an underseat connector plug as stated in the threads (I have a 96 HSE without seat airbags)
Has anyone got any other suggestions prior to taking it to get the fault cleared at the stealers?
Cheers
Dave

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
on that vintage car thats it. Have the code read and cleared. Must have tried to start the car up with a plug loose or unplugged somewhere.

·
Administrator
27,820 Posts
JSP is dead on. The guideline with the older SRS system is to leave the key in the house on a high shelf far far away form anyone that might even think about getting it near the truck. If any connector is not firmly seated when the ignition is turned on you will throw a code due to the SRS doing a self test of components.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Can the SRS system reset itself or deos it have to be reset by a computer?

Only reason I ask is I had numerous faults - ABS, Airbag etc but they have all cleared by themselves now - am I Just lucky or is that normal?

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
...so i took it to the dealer to get the code reset.
Guess what they told me.... most unusual fault they had ever seen - and couldn't trace where it was coming from!
They apparently couldn't just clear the fault - they said it was originating from somewhere else, either the BCM or a "G" sensor for the SRS - otherwise called the DCU? which was located under the centre console.
This is the first I've heard of this - but it sounds like a fair load of dealer BS....
Can anyone shed any light on this? Or should I take it somewhere else to get the fault cleared???
Cheers
Dave

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
21 Posts
Did you end up getting this sorted?

I have a 96 HSE and have the same issue. I forgot to disconnect the battery terminal before I pulled out the instrument panel and now have the airbag fault message.

I don't mind going to the dealer to have the faults reset but would like to know beforehand if this fixed yours.

Thanks.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
marmel said:

I have a 96 HSE and have the same issue. I forgot to disconnect the battery terminal before I pulled out the instrument panel and now have the airbag fault message.

I don't mind going to the dealer to have the faults reset but would like to know beforehand if this fixed yours.

Thanks.
You will need it reset anyway, regardless of the OP's situation.
You made it throw a code yourself when you disconnected stuff and now have a fault.
There are other options besides the dealer, but that is up to you :thumb:

Martin

·
Registered
21 Posts
leftlanetruckin said:
marmel said:

Thanks.
You will need it reset anyway, regardless of the OP's situation.
You made it throw a code yourself when you disconnected stuff and now have a fault.
There are other options besides the dealer, but that is up to you :thumb:

Martin
Are the only other options pulling fuses or the lamps behind the instrument panel? I don't really want to do this, I would rather have it reset either by the dealer or if I can do it myself I will.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
Another option would be to find someone with a Faultmate and have them swap your SRS ECM with theirs, then reset it via the Faultmate.
You could also try to find a local indy too, dependent on your location. Add that to your profile and it will help us help you....

Martin

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think it pretty unlikely someone else in Southland would have a faultmate. I might try and find a garage that has something though as the closest dealer is about 175km away.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
Doesn't need to be local per say. You could always remove the ECM and put it in the mail to be reset. That is the way that the EAS ECM's used to get reset over here years ago. Remove them and mail them to someone with the right tools etc. Then get it mailed back and install. :thumb:
Paul (PaulP38A) is in Australia and may be able to help you out. :thumb:

Martin

·
Registered
21 Posts
Bit of an update here.

I finally decided to drive the 140 miles to the nearest dealer and 30 minutes and $100US later the fault code was gone.

They also had time to wash the car and polish the wheels so i guess I can't complain.

I did try switching out the SRS ECU myself but the fault remained. Either the second hand ECE I got also had a fault logged or the fault was stored in the BECAM as well?

Anyway all sorted now.

Now onto my leaking rear airbags, non-functioning cruise control......

·
Banned
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
135 Posts
There was a guy named Vince who as an aside to his question about his Radio, asked about clearing his "Airbag Fault" message. Here is a process that I saw on a RR/LR website that worked for me:

Under each front seat, there is a yellow connector. Unplug each of these and turn on the ignition key. Turn the key off and plug the yellow connectors back in. Turn the key on again and the "Airbag Fault" goes away. I did this on my vehicle a week ago and the fault has not returned. This is one clearcut, simple solution.

D

·
0 Posts
- this only works with RRs after ~mid-96 {ie. models with the side bags} unfortunately, WARover....

·
Banned
135 Posts
I don't remember what Vince vehicle was. However, with over 1500 views, this is undoubtedly a frequent occurance and will benefit many

·
Administrator
27,820 Posts
- this only works with RRs after ~mid-96 {ie. models with the side bags} unfortunately, WARover....
Side airbags were not implemented in P38s until 1999. ALthough few GEMS 1999 models were fitted with side ais bags the general rule of thumb is that side air bags were introduced about the same time as the Bosch change over. THe reason this is a common fault is due to the poor placement of the connector. With repeated seat movement and rear seat passengers foot placement the connector gets knocked loose and tosses a component self test fault.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Can anyone verify the pull the two yellow plugs, turn key to on, turn key off, plug back in strategy for removing the airbag fault code on a 2000 p38? Mentioned a few posts up.

D

·
0 Posts
HankRearden; As already mentioned above an SRS fault often arises due to bad continuity in the wiring to the bags -the plugs under the seats (>'99) are often the (main) culprit, due to seat movements disturbing the plugs, but some folks have 'improved' on this by removing the plugs and making permanent (soldered) connections instead.

The other major culprit is the rotary coupler to the steering wheel bag.

In theory (!) with a vehicle from 2000 (in fact since mid-96) the SRS will re-set itself once any such continuity issue has been resolved.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Within the last few days I have had an AIRBAG FAULT message come up on my 2000 DSE.

I can confirm that after simply squeezing the connector under the drivers seat the fault cleared after an ignition reset.

Dave
:)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts