RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am close to pulling the trigger on a projects P38, but I want to get your opinions first if possible.
1998 4.0SE
130,000 miles (no towing)
No key fob, although works without it.
Front end drivers side smashed so it will need headlight, bumper and bumper cover.
Some broken interior trim pieces. (not bad)
Steering links are shot.
Has been switched to coils
Has a crack in windshield (not crucial for viewing)
Tires are approx 40%
The rest is all to minor to mention.
Besides that, the car seems to be nice
20191019_115804.jpg 20200313_103949_resized.jpg
I don't want to give the price out yet as I would like to hear if you guys can come up with what something like that would be worth.

Thanks All

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
It is worth $300 to a breaker. Will cost you $500-700 in parts just to fix what is broken...and that is just the cosmetic stuff.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
110 Posts
It's all about the engine and the BeCM.

If you can drive it and the engine is solid and considering it's been converted to coils, everything else is relative easy to work on.

I would consider getting a replacement fob from Classic Rides North Wales or get the BeCM unlocked and have the EKA code option enabled.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am not against buying good used parts. Prob could do for a bit less than $500 on parts.

The key does work as it is. Would I still need the bcem worked on?
Engine seems solid and is driveable (besides needing new links and prossibly bushings)

·
Registered
32 Posts
The windshield can be the $$$ thing. I have a '98 driver's side headlight I'd sell (facelifted ones don't match well), and also a DL blinker. Bumper....if there is a scrap yard near you these are a hour to remove, give or take, and if it is cracked/damaged another 1-2 hours to pry the plastic loose & just go with the metal underneath (I think it looks better than OEM with a clean-up / rattle can).

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't plan to replace the windshield right away. I know it can be expensive however, I won't replace with heated. That's all a ways down the road if necessary.

There are a few different pick n pull wreckers near me with 3 of these p38s with good bumpers.
I can't find a diagram of how the bumper is put together
As for this pic, I believe I need these parts
1. Bumper cover
2. LH front bumper bracket
3. Side front bumper bracket??
4. Plastic housing for the headlight
5. Complete headlight

20200313_103949_resized - Copy.jpg

·
Registered
272 Posts
If I recall correctly the front bumper is all one piece except for the spoiler lip at the bottom. If you look up underneath the bumper you will see two bolts that screw into the frame. Inside the fender wells at each end of the bumper there is a wire clip that you need to pull down to release the bumper. After dealing with bolts and clips it just pulls out. The plastic housing for the headlight is easily broken. I think you can remove headlight and housing as one piece. If you have junkyard parts easily available that makes it fixable. Would not pay more than a couple hundred for it though as not most desirable year/engine. That would be 99 and up with 4.6 in my opinion.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I don't plan to replace the windshield right away. I know it can be expensive however, I won't replace with heated. That's all a ways down the road if necessary.

There are a few different pick n pull wreckers near me with 3 of these p38s with good bumpers.
I can't find a diagram of how the bumper is put together
As for this pic, I believe I need these parts
1. Bumper cover
2. LH front bumper bracket
3. Side front bumper bracket??
4. Plastic housing for the headlight
5. Complete headlight

View attachment 284714
4/5. Headlight unit is 1 piece. Plug n play. 4 bolts, and if one of the mounting tabs is broken, 3 out of 4 is fine.. Blinker is another piece, that does require a good clip. $30 for new, Euro, or $45 for very good used.....these are becoming rarer if you don't want to go Euro.
1-3. This is a friggin Rubics cube. Seriously once hit these are a serious PITA to line up. The plastic bumper guard does nothing. Unless you want a show piece, and a $700 with this damage that isn't that, tear the plastic off and you have a perfectly good bumper. Granted it no longer looks like a lux vehicle, but it is a 22 y.o. RR you bought for $700.....expectations in check.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Frankly, I have seen better looking P38 in my local Pick-a-part than this example. If the engine, transmission, and transfer case is good on this one, perhaps just keep these, along with other salvageable parts for a future project car.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I think 700 is a little high. Any service records?. If nothing has ever been done to it except oil and filter changes you could need things like new pads, rotors, plug, etc. How clean is the interior and engine? Are you sure the frame has not been bent? Did the air bags fire?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Air bags did not fire.
Apparently the rover rolled into a bollard in a parking lot
I can't answer about the brakes or service records.
The fluids were changed at their proper mileage and times

Originally I offered $500 as that is what I think it is worth currently. It does need other stuff like interior trim pieces, headliner sag fix, driver window aligned.
Offer came back at $700. We agreed on middle $600. She then raised it back to $700 out of nowhere days later.
Think I should just run and put money into my 89 Classic.
I really like the look of the P38

·
Registered
886 Posts
Regardless of what the current owner says about maintenance, evidence shown from things you noticed about the car points to the vehicle receiving no maintenance.

I also appreciate the robustness of P38, as well as its appearance. If you keep looking, I'm sure you'll find a better one. P38s are getting rarer, though.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My current daily driver is an F450 dually. I have an 89 classic that I just cannot seem to get to run properly (even after 2 years)
I am meticulous about maintenance.
I am just looking for a good comfortable mid size SUV, like the Rover.
I'd prefer the defender, but who's got that kind of cash laying around for a 2nd vehicle.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The reason you want a working fob is in case the alarm goes off. If it does your P38 just became a brick. The only way to turn off the alarm is with a working fob or if you have the EKA code. If the owner does not have the EKA code then most likely that option has not been turned on. Which means you will need to send the BeCM out to get "unlocked" and the EKA code option turned on. You will be doing yourself a big favor by getting a working fob or sending out the BeCM to have the EKA code option enabled first thing after the purchase vs. having the alarm go off for what ever reason and your P38 leaves you stranded

As for the bumper. It is two pieces. The metal bumper and the plastic surround. The bumper is easier to uninstall and install when these two parts are separate. The issue is recovering one from a salvage yard will be very difficult to separate the plastic outer skin from the metal bumper without breaking it.

You can take them off together but you need some small hands to reach in front of the A/C condenser to loosed the 4 nuts in front. This is what I had to do when I got a bumper from a salvage yard. It's difficult but at $50 is worth the effort compared to a new one.

If the paint and engine are good $700 is fine. They are going up and finding parts online or salvage yards is not hard.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would walk away in a hurry.
I'm not sure what the market for these is like in the States, but this car appears to be badly maintained and has many problem areas (bodywork, interior, keyfob).

In my experience the amount of effort and money required to get such a car back to shape usually makes it a bad buy.

·
Registered
333 Posts
$250 cash top offer. And with a lot of work. That is a farm truck. Never a DD unless you sink $2,500 into her. IMHO

·
Registered
886 Posts
My current daily driver is an F450 dually. I have an 89 classic that I just cannot seem to get to run properly (even after 2 years)
I am meticulous about maintenance.
I am just looking for a good comfortable mid size SUV, like the Rover.
I'd prefer the defender, but who's got that kind of cash laying around for a 2nd vehicle.
I know the feeling about not quite getting the vehicle right even after many months of work.

Not a car, but I did a frame up restoration on a '70 Honda motorcycle recently. Did a complete restoration, including complete engine overhaul. I don't think there was a part not repaired or replaced on the bike.

However, even after all the work (1 year +), the bike doesn't run quite right. As such, the bike is relegated to being a garage queen and not much else. I've done major service on late model motorcyles without issue, but older vehicles are harder to get it just right. Besides, even if you do get it just right one day, it simply won't stay that way for long. In that respect, as you suspect, P38 will probably be an easier vehicle to maintain driveability than a Classic.

·
Registered
1999 P38 vogue
19 Posts
Any P38 is a delicate beast they have numerous faulty areas suspension electrickery v8s overheat diesels underpowered BMW car engine ----- so unless cared for AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE unless you're a rich masochist

1 - 20 of 22 Posts