RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got my AC working after 5 years of not having it. Its working mediocre in the 95º weather that we've been having lately. The biggest thing is that it takes about 1 1/2 minutes after the car has turned on to even start blowing any air, so by the time it actually kicks in I'm already sweating to death. I remember reading something in the owners manual saying it wouldn't kick in the AC until it could actually blow cold air, but it does this every time on startup whether it's been shut off for 5 minutes or 5 hours. I can't see this as normal, or maybe its just one of those tarded quicks? Both blower motors seem to be fine, as well as the blend motors. Any help is greatly appreciated as I don't know how much more of the sweatbox I can take.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2,064 Posts
No it's not normal MAX..Sorry but I can't offer any advice..

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
not normal man. I'm in FL also, and mine starts blowing cold almost immediately.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Sounds like a low charge symptom to me.

When you say you just got it working, could you perhaps explain that a little more?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses guys, I did not think that this was normal behavior. I just added refrigerant and it started working again, the only problem is that the handheld gauges only tell psi, not how many ounces are in there. Chris, if it sounds like something caused by a low charge I'm just wondering if the HVAC ECU is not allowing the blowers to turn on until after refrigerant has circulated through the system, does that sound about right?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Hmm. I'm no AC tech by any stretch, so I can only say your logic makes sense to me.

So, no AC for 5 years, did you evac the system prior to the charge or just add R134? How about compressor oil?

One other thought, is the AC clutch picking up right away or is there a delay for that too?

And finally, your method for initiating the HVAC system - are you manually selecting a temp and fan speed/vents, or are you setting a temp and using the Auto climate control?

Sorry for so many questions, just trying to cover all the bases and maybe in your response someone on here with more AC knowledge than me will pick something up.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,851 Posts
Hi

I have the same problem after changing to a new HEAVAC ecu unit. I believe it is caused by the ecu trying to esteblish if there is a fault. As I have blend motors disconnected and heater matrix bypassed it can not comunicate with those. I will get the book sign where after the ac starts working. When checking with the dealer they mentioned that it is programmed to start with a delay. Now I just start the car and let it settle before going in and driving off. It is not dependend on the R304 charge.

Best regards

Jos

·
Premium Member
1,702 Posts
Jos Geuze said:
As I have blend motors disconnected and heater matrix bypassed it can not comunicate with those. I will get the book sign where after the ac starts working.
Mine has started to blow hot air at the feet and I was thinking of disconnecting the two motors on the right hand side (UK drivers side) and manually adjusting the flaps to blow cold at my face. Do you have any details on manually adjusting the flaps?

If I bypass the matrix, will that automatically stop it blowing hot? (Is it that easy :dance: )

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No worries Chris, I appreciate the help. I just added r134 to it, but the cans I used did have compressor oil in them. I just added another can to it about 5 minutes ago and noticed that the clutch engages within the first 5 seconds of startup, but in the 60 seconds until it started blowing air engaged about 6 or 7 times. I've tried selecting auto and manual, it does not make any difference. Jos, If I'm reading right this is most likely due to the HVAC ECU itself, so the only way to rectify it is to buy a new one?

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
Max said:
I just added another can to it about 5 minutes ago and noticed that the clutch engages within the first 5 seconds of startup, but in the 60 seconds until it started blowing air engaged about 6 or 7 times.
You may well have now OVER pressured the system and the 6/7 times in a minute cycling, is due to the over-pressure cutout after the compressor starts up.

The only way to get the refrigerant side of the system correct, is to take it to an auto-AC place and they will 'vacuum it down', then put the correct amount of gas (and maybe oil) into the system.

Just my 2 cents.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
paul.adshead said:
The only way to get the refrigerant side of the system correct, is to take it to an auto-AC place and they will 'vacuum it down', then put the correct amount of gas (and maybe oil) into the system.

Just my 2 cents.
Thats exactly what I'm going to do. I've always been hesitant to use the DIY r134 cans, and now I remember why. Thanks for the help everyone, I'm going to take it to an A/C shop this week and have them recharge it correctly, and see if that makes any difference with the fan delay.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts