RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the transmission has given up on my '92 County LWB. I have a friend with a ZF 4HP-22 box I can have. He doesn't know what vehicle it came from other than it was attached to a Rover engine. I believe that the model number is correct but understand the version in the Classic is modified somehow. Can any of you identify if the box will work? Thanks in advance for your help.
Screen Shot 2018-09-30 at 7.57.56 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2018-09-30 at 8.06.05 PM.jpg

·
Registered
960 Posts
Yes it should fit
But what is your transmission problem
If your trans just went out in drive and you have no power in drive or reverse
The problem may be your transfer case
This happened to me and it was the splined gear in the Vc at the front drive shaft
It can strip out
You can pull the filler plug and with it running you can see the chain drive for the transfer case if it’s moving in drive
It’s the transfer case
My 92 transmission went out
It had water in it
Here is a picture of that transmissions
Badge
Good luck on your rover
Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. There are a few issues and I don't know if they're related. It's had a loose transfer chain for a while, so it clunks a little when selecting D or R. But the real problems started shortly after I changed the gearbox oil, which I now know I probably shouldn't have done. The first problem was the centrifugal switch sticking, so after starting I'd have to get the revs up to 4k for a quarter mile before it would clunk into 2nd and start operating normally.

After another 3 weeks of driving it like that, I lost R when pulling out of a parking lot and then a mile later it started slipping in 3rd, then lost all gears as I came to a stop. There was initially a pretty bad rattling from somewhere. So yeah I think you may be right about the transfer case, but then the centrifugal switch problem probably isn't related to that, right?

·
Registered
960 Posts
It sounds like you are right
It’s the transmission
Mine had water in the fluid
When I got it
That made it slip
I changed the fluid
Drove it for a while
Everything I read said it was toast
They were right