RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here think this is this worth the change, or is it overpriced? KBB says $17k.
I am starting to eye out a new rig, and this one looks pretty sweet. It doesnt look like it has the Westminister badge on the back anymore , but maybe it was just torn off? How do I know if it is really a Westminister edition? Those seats do look reeeally comfortable though.. :dance:

BTW: I did call on it, and he claims there are no problems or warning lights with it, and everthing supposedly works.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-LAN ... 7C72%3A317

This would be a big purchase for me at the moment, so any thoughts appreciated.

Dan

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,248 Posts
I wouldn't go by KBB, especially right now. They are always off IMHO.
At the end of the day, I always look around and compare similar models, mileage, etc. That's the only way to compare accurately.
Personally I would not give what they are asking, the market is too bad right now. If you really want it, and can afford it then why not?
It is your money not ours after all :thumb:

Martin

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
leftlanetruckin said:
I wouldn't go by KBB, especially right now. They are always off IMHO.
At the end of the day, I always look around and compare similar models, mileage, etc. That's the only way to compare accurately.
Personally I would not give what they are asking, the market is too bad right now. If you really want it, and can afford it then why not?
It is your money not ours after all :thumb:

Martin

True that, thanks for the input. I dont see or hear of many Westminister editions for sale though, so its hard to compare straight up with an HSE. I guess its basically the same except for the plusher interior? I will keep looking and mulling it over i am sure. :|

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
It looks like a Westminster with all the black trim. Best way to check is with the VIN. If you can't find anyone to confirm the originality, PM me with the VIN and I will check it for you.

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
Here's why I wouldn't bite on it.

#1... It's priced too high. In a year, when you hit 100k miles it'll be worth maybe $8-9k.
#2... The prevoious owner obviously didn't keep up with the little things...rear window wiper, center caps (2), and the front grill dam.... This leads me to believe there could be other lurking issues that may be covered up.

At the end of the day, it's your $$$, but if it were mine I wouldn't offer more than $9500.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
kmagnuss said:
#2... The prevoious owner obviously didn't keep up with the little things...rear window wiper, center caps (2), and the front grill dam.... This leads me to believe there could be other lurking issues that may be covered up.
I don't know about the market over there but centre caps can be picked up for pennies, it screams careless owner.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,248 Posts
Very true on the small things being a sign of neglect. I always keep on top of the small niggly stuff, it just bugs me when it doesn't work or look right :wink:
As I said though, the market will dictate the values, not KBB etc.
It is always hard to accurately value a special edition or highly modded rig though. As I say to people looking at modified Jeeps, it's your money, and if it sets your heart on fire, go buy it :thumb:
I just couldn't justify the extra money for what basically amounts to nicer seats etc. Now if it was an Overfinch..... :clap:

Martin

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
There was an Overfinch 570 in one of the LR magazines at over £11,000 and that was a 1997MY. :lol: And that was the smaller engined version. You'd have to be Mr B.P. Esso-McShell to run it though.

TBH, If you are going to keep a car and look after it (i.e. not chop n' castrate it) then I'd say get a special edition model, even at a premium. At least it will always be more saleable than a standard HSE. If you can't find a Linley, then find a Holland & Holland. Easily a collectors item in the future.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe my eyes are just bad. I am looking at the photos and dont see what is wrong with the front grill dam. :?
In one of the photos though, it looks like the trim piece that goes on the drivers arm rest is gone, but its hard to tell since everything is black.

As far as special editions go, what is the pecking order?
Linley
H&H
Vogue
Rhino
Westminister
30th Anniversary
????

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,248 Posts
Rich998a said:
There was an Overfinch 570 in one of the LR magazines at over £11,000 and that was a 1997MY. :lol: And that was the smaller engined version. You'd have to be Mr B.P. Esso-McShell to run it though.

TBH, If you are going to keep a car and look after it (i.e. not chop n' castrate it) then I'd say get a special edition model, even at a premium. At least it will always be more saleable than a standard HSE. If you can't find a Linley, then find a Holland & Holland. Easily a collectors item in the future.
Collectors editions are in the eye of the beholder, over here they could well mean nothing at all. Hell, RR's in general are worth next to nowt mate :crybaby2:
The only thing a special edition means IMHO, is that IF you find the right buyer, it would sell before a standard edition would. Not for more money per say, but maybe a quicker sale.
As far as being Mr. B.P. etc....premium gas is just over $2 a gallon here mate :clap: My Heep gets @12-14 mpg with the heavy (135lbs each) wheels and tires I have on it right now and my big rig gets anywhere between 4 - 8 mpg.....I bet an Overfinch would get better MPG than the Heep does :wink:
OP, I still stick to my original statement. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder ( and the bank account the check book is linked to!). If you really like it, then get it :thumb:

Martin

·
Registered
407 Posts
Hmm, I was looking at that one a month ago. I almost bought it. While the idea of having a westminster was :dance: all i really wanted was a late black P38 Range. After I retire this one, Ill be moving on to mercedes G wagons (there getting down to high 20's now) and be done with ranges because I just think its blasphemy to have a off road vehicle without solid beam differentials. (hummer H1 excluded)

As lucked turned up though I ended up finding a none westminster but with every option including the oxford leather and wood wheel. I paid about 5/8 of what they were asking for that one you are looking at and choose to keep the money in the bank incase Golly Geezing Beezing happens.

If I could do it all over, hmm. I really just wanted the options that the westminister had. Actually all I wanted was a black one. If I wanted a westminister, I would diff by it. If you just want the options you can save a whole lot of money but I will concur, its hard to find. Either one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts